User Tag List

12 Last

Ginkgo

Default Emotional Repression?

As an INFP, I often feel the need to evoke my intellectual abilities in the form of math, art, and particularly writing. As a result, most authority figures view me as "gifted". However, since I have known about MBTI, I have come to realize that most of my motivations are spurred by emotions and personal convictions, rather than logic.

So, my question for all NT types is: Do you feel the need to evoke your emotions in order to "fit in" to the status-quo, or do you prefer to repress them? Why?

A character comes to mind...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TFfG7MBiQQ"]Emotional Data[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I don't need to evoke my emotions, they guide me through my rationality...I have no reason to think about something if I'm not emotionally involved.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Yeah, I don't think about or study anything unless I care to do so, which is an emotional prompt. Motivation is emotional in nature, not logical.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Ginkgo

When I mention the word "emotional", I suppose I intended a stronger connotation.

I am referring to such things as stress, love, fanaticism, anger, guilt, ect. Not just simple "motivation", per se. For instance, all of your friends wanted to go see a movie with you, and were trying to hype you up, would you try to resist it? Would you want to go along to feel wanted?

Am I stereotyping Ti/Te users as being overly stoic and non-emotional?

I don't want to be perceived as being judgmental.

MBTI
    xxxx

Your perception changes when you view emotions as chemical processes independent of logic. Following this train of thinking, you can group emotions with any other omen related to natural causes and act accordingly. Why let your emotions influence you any more than the humidity?

I really need to read up on my neurology.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I think I'm just as emotional as most people...I just don't consciously focus on it that much (except in retrospect).

Sometimes I project more emotion than I actually feel just to smooth things out, though. I'd rather just do that than deal with people thinking I'm too cold or something.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Am I stereotyping Ti/Te users as being overly stoic and non-emotional?
    Yeah, you are.

Everyone has emotions and I don't believe I've ever repressed any of them. There are many times when I do not recognize what I am feeling, but it ends up revealing itself eventually. I may not throw tantrums, but I do get upset. If I don't show it, that doesn't mean I am repressing it.

But as far as the movie question - I do things to satisfy my own emotional needs, not the needs of others.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Evan View Post
    I think I'm just as emotional as most people...I just don't consciously focus on it that much (except in retrospect).

Sometimes I project more emotion than I actually feel just to smooth things out, though. I'd rather just do that than deal with people thinking I'm too cold or something.
    QFT.
    Something Witty

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

°Ay, Caramba!

I'm an ENTP with almost balanced Fe & Te so maybe I am more emotional than others? I do not know. Regardless, I consider myself pretty emotional. I'm pretty lousy at hiding my feelings so typically, everyone knows how I am feeling on any given day.

On a typical day, I am pretty sure that everyone thinks that I am a Carebear on crack. People often tell me that they like being around me because I am always excited, etc. I do tend to say "yay!" a lot while clapping my hands and making weird faces; oh em gee, I pretty much act like this girl

Hmm, I probably appear like an ENFP to people or maybe I am... Dun dun dunn
    Between that cigarillo and sticking my finger down my throat to see if I could DT, I feel like puking RN.

Read my Blog.

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

I'm pretty damn bubbly myself... It must be the Ne.