• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Emotional Repression?

G

Ginkgo

As an INFP, I often feel the need to evoke my intellectual abilities in the form of math, art, and particularly writing. As a result, most authority figures view me as "gifted". However, since I have known about MBTI, I have come to realize that most of my motivations are spurred by emotions and personal convictions, rather than logic. :hug:

So, my question for all NT types is: Do you feel the need to evoke your emotions in order to "fit in" to the status-quo, or do you prefer to repress them? Why?

A character comes to mind...

[YOUTUBE="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_TFfG7MBiQQ"]Emotional Data[/YOUTUBE]

redacted

I don't need to evoke my emotions, they guide me through my rationality...I have no reason to think about something if I'm not emotionally involved.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Yeah, I don't think about or study anything unless I care to do so, which is an emotional prompt. Motivation is emotional in nature, not logical.

G

Ginkgo

When I mention the word "emotional", I suppose I intended a stronger connotation.

I am referring to such things as stress, love, fanaticism, anger, guilt, ect. Not just simple "motivation", per se. For instance, all of your friends wanted to go see a movie with you, and were trying to hype you up, would you try to resist it? Would you want to go along to feel wanted?

Am I stereotyping Ti/Te users as being overly stoic and non-emotional?

I don't want to be perceived as being judgmental. :tongue:

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
Your perception changes when you view emotions as chemical processes independent of logic. Following this train of thinking, you can group emotions with any other omen related to natural causes and act accordingly. Why let your emotions influence you any more than the humidity?

I really need to read up on my neurology.

redacted

I think I'm just as emotional as most people...I just don't consciously focus on it that much (except in retrospect).

Sometimes I project more emotion than I actually feel just to smooth things out, though. I'd rather just do that than deal with people thinking I'm too cold or something.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

Yeah, you are.

Everyone has emotions and I don't believe I've ever repressed any of them. There are many times when I do not recognize what I am feeling, but it ends up revealing itself eventually. I may not throw tantrums, but I do get upset. If I don't show it, that doesn't mean I am repressing it.

But as far as the movie question - I do things to satisfy my own emotional needs, not the needs of others.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I think I'm just as emotional as most people...I just don't consciously focus on it that much (except in retrospect).

Sometimes I project more emotion than I actually feel just to smooth things out, though. I'd rather just do that than deal with people thinking I'm too cold or something.

QFT.

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
¡Ay, Caramba!

I'm an ENTP with almost balanced Fe & Te so maybe I am more emotional than others? I do not know. Regardless, I consider myself pretty emotional. I'm pretty lousy at hiding my feelings so typically, everyone knows how I am feeling on any given day.

On a typical day, I am pretty sure that everyone thinks that I am a Carebear on crack. People often tell me that they like being around me because I am always excited, etc. I do tend to say "yay!" a lot while clapping my hands and making weird faces; oh em gee, I pretty much act like this girl

Hmm, I probably appear like an ENFP to people :shock: or maybe I am... Dun dun dunn

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm pretty damn bubbly myself... It must be the Ne.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
For instance, all of your friends wanted to go see a movie with you, and were trying to hype you up, would you try to resist it? Would you want to go along to feel wanted?

I don't understand the question. Try to resist feeling excited about seeing a movie? Why would I do that? Either I'm excited or I'm not. If they successfully get me excited about something I'm not, then everybody wins.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
¡Ay, Caramba!

I'm an ENTP with almost balanced Fe & Te so maybe I am more emotional than others? I do not know. Regardless, I consider myself pretty emotional. I'm pretty lousy at hiding my feelings so typically, everyone knows how I am feeling on any given day.

On a typical day, I am pretty sure that everyone thinks that I am a Carebear on crack. People often tell me that they like being around me because I am always excited, etc. I do tend to say "yay!" a lot while clapping my hands and making weird faces; oh em gee, I pretty much act like this girl

Hmm, I probably appear like an ENFP to people :shock: or maybe I am... Dun dun dunn

I'm pretty damn bubbly myself... It must be the Ne.

Same here.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
For instance, all of your friends wanted to go see a movie with you, and were trying to hype you up, would you try to resist it? Would you want to go along to feel wanted?

If I didn't wanna go, this would piss me off. Seriously. I hate when people try to "assign" any type of feeling on me. Unless they gave any better reason for me to watch this movie, I'd tell them to fuck off. I seriously hate when people try to make me feel things I don't. I don't think there would be anything to resist/repress. If I don't wanna go, I don't wanna go, simple. I usually don't get motivated by other peoples feelings. Or my own for that matter, not if there are reasons not to.

If I want to go, I don't need hyping up.

I don't go out of my way to make other people like me/want me.

Yes, I think so. There are emotions. But a lot of the times, I'm just not aware of, or certain what I'm feeling. And usually, I don't care or pay attention to them, until they're pissing in my face.

Oh, and I don't think I'm able to repress my emotions for long. However, I usually don't share them with others. Especially if they are personal, then I might not even share joy. The stronger the emotion, the more introverted they get. Typically, these emotions lack logic.

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't understand the movie example and how that ties into emotional repression. Because someone failed to hype me up for a movie, it wouldn't mean I was hiding my emotions or something. It just meant I still didn't want to see it, for whatever reason.

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
WTF? Why do people assume that NTs don't have emotions? Having a preference for Thinking over Feeling has nothing to do with whether or not you have emotions. It's more about how you make your decisions.

To answer the OP,No I don't repress my emotions. I just using my thinking functions first before I act on them.

Son of the Damned

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm emotional as fuck, I don't repress shit.

I tend to be rational in the process of how I fulfil my needs and desires, but its all feeling driving the thing. Though I practise mindfulness and smoke a lot of weed, so I tend to be more laid-back and serene than bubbly.

Even then, my emotions overwhelms my reason at points, and then I just act on instinct.

Haphazard

Don't Judge Me!
MBTI Type
ENFJ
I'm as emotional as fuck, too.

It's just that no one seems to notice...

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I am referring to such things as stress, love, fanaticism, anger, guilt, ect. Not just simple "motivation", per se. For instance, all of your friends wanted to go see a movie with you, and were trying to hype you up, would you try to resist it? Would you want to go along to feel wanted?

Grrr...I would not like this. It would simply piss me off and my friends would be right back at square one. I'm not going because I don't want to go AND the fact that you pushed me makes me want to slap your face right off your face <always sunny in Philly quote>. It has nothing to do with emotional repression.

Yes. We aren't non-emotional. We just think before we act.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Yes.

For me feeling tends to be more than just little or nearly none at all. I think its because small emotions that might effect infp for example get rationalized by Ti. When the feeling is strong it passes Ti block and when that happens the feeling comes extra strong, since im not used to handling feelings that i coincider irrational by others(Ti analyzed). And since im not so used on handling feelings, i pretty much suck at showing them, even if they were strong. This gives expression to others that i dont feel at all or only feel in really extreme situations when the feeling is so horrible that i cant help not to show it.

Fi for me is like Ti to infp(atleast to ones i know). I think about atleast small things pretty much all the time, they feel atleast small things about all the time. When they use Ti, it takes much more effort, drains your energy much more and wont happen so easy(reguires something bigger so that its worth using the energy for it) and so automaticly as for me. Same thing on Fi to me. Naturally infp can train Ti and intp can train Fi, but training helps on the efficiency of the function and it takes less energy after trained, it doesent effect the frequency of usage so much, but since it takes less energy you wont avoid it as much when its needed.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't think NT's need to evoke emotions per sey, but they do need to actively think about non task based stuff.

For instance when I first started working in my industry I'd get my seniors to proof certain documents... they would soften the beginings so instead of me asking for XYZ I'd open with a Hi how are you, how was the weekend... Just a social nicety.. NT's I think need to be prompted to soften their goal reaching desires....

In love life etc, I don't need any prompting to be emotional, I'm a pretty full on emotional person, I just don't make decisions based on emotions alone....