Thread: INTP lies

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I abandoned one reply a few minutes ago because I couldn't get the wording exact enough for my satisfaction, but that's basically it: You see INTPs being very truthful in impersonal matters and framing situations, even it has indirect social ramifications (unless the resulting conflict would drain too much energy), but in relationships you often see them avoiding locking themselves into specific answers and decisions.

Bottom line, everything is contextual and there is a strong drive to preserve autonomy.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

INTPs love the truth, but hate dispensing with it when they know it'll cause trouble.

This creates a conundrum. They can't love truth and then disparage it by outright lying, so they go with only telling the partial truth: lying by omission. Some of them don't think they are lying at all, but that the "interrogator" simply failed to ask the right questions (as explained above).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    ...but sometimes they are right that relationship questions are posed in a manner similar to interrogations. They are probably more often less right than not in this area (or under the totality of the circumstances on what distinguishes a healthy question in a relationship and an interrogation) but not much is needed to get their back up again.
    Lol... I was too lazy to explain that angle, but yes, you got it.

I dealt with an ISFJ spouse for a number of years.
    I know what an interrogation feels like.

I think most of it again comes to not wanting to get pinned down or hemmed in, especially if one is unsure of things at the moment. Unfortunately, SJs in particular want things clear and explicit, so their manner can feel very much like an interrogation (and maybe it even IS, if the SJ feels the INTP has been dodging commitments/answers for too long).

At that point, bad dynamics kick in. The non-INTP spouse is pushing for "real answers," which usually makes the INTP dodge them even more.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    so their manner can feel very much like an interrogation (and maybe it even IS, if the SJ feels the INTP has been dodging commitments/answers for too long).

At that point, bad dynamics kick in. The non-INTP spouse is pushing for "real answers," which usually makes the INTP dodge them even more.
    This is what make us INTPs so seductively adorable* especially for the conqueror types like ESJs. Although not often (consciously) intended it works like a cat chasing a string.

*probably just plain frustrating for most other types.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"

MBTI
    YaYa

If it hasn't been said already, anything that requires them to overuse or just use their Fe might require them to lie.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Socionics
    ENFp

the intp i know lies sometimes, but only with people he doesn't care about... and i really think it is a result of taking drugs.

he has told me outright before "i don't want to lie to you" and would choose to withhold information over not telling the truth. but, i don't think he would do that with everyone.

also, he definitely colors things up a bit just for entertainment value (with people he doesn't care about -- which is most people)... kind of just to see how they react.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by avolkiteshvara View Post
    If it hasn't been said already, anything that requires them to overuse or just use their Fe might require them to lie.
    often this would be the case*...or...using their Fe to confess ultimate abstractions of love (albeit rare)...which at least in the time they are saying it/thinking it. Are as far as the INTP know...are true.

*even then we prefer to dodge the question, qualify/limit the scope of the question/answer or "lying by ommission". i.e. love spelled luv.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    *even then we prefer to dodge the question, qualify/limit the scope of the question/answer or "lying by ommission". i.e. love spelled luv.
    It feels less binding and squeamish if you trivialize it by spelling it "luv," don't it?
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    YaYa

ahahahahahaha

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    INTPs love the truth, but hate dispensing with it when they know it'll cause trouble.

This creates a conundrum. They can't love truth and then disparage it by outright lying, so they go with only telling the partial truth: lying by omission. Some of them don't think they are lying at all, but that the "interrogator" simply failed to ask the right questions (as explained above).
    this.

lies=bad, truth=good...

except when the question and answer to that question would involve private things, inner machinations or emotional matters. in that case I panic, since even I dont know how my inner machinations and emotions work excactly, those questions usually end in a lie, and that lie will be left in the back of the head forever scratching wanting to get out, such an uncomfortable feeling.