First 123

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I wish I was like that, sometimes. Might be more successful if I feared failure more.

But instead I seem to cope remarkably well with failure, as even in failure, I will experience and learn from it. I don't generally see failure as a bad thing. A less nice thing, sure. But not a bad thing.
    Can you explain that to several of my ridiculously introverted INTP friends?

That shit bugs me to no end.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Can you explain that to several of my ridiculously introverted INTP friends?

That shit bugs me to no end.
    There's a saying in dutch that goes "Niet geschoten is altijd mis.".

Translated it means "If you don't fire, you'll always miss.".

I think they just need to realize that sometimes. Maybe that'll help. You won't get anywhere if you never even attempt to try.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    There's a saying in dutch that goes "Niet geschoten is altijd mis.".

Translated it means "If you don't fire, you'll always miss.".

I think they just need to realize that sometimes. Maybe that'll help. You won't get anywhere if you never even attempt to try.
    Yes I've drilled that topic home any number of times to a certain close INTP friend, and he agrees that that's true (Ne) and then just never changes his behavior (Ti.)

It's really pretty frustrating.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Hmm.

Through experience they can supply Ti with all kinds of wonderful material to think about. They don't even have to ignore Ti. Anyhow, it's their descision I suppose. I'd say a silly one in most cases nonetheless.

And it's not like they have to go from one thing to the next. If I'm tired I pass up on stuff too. Can't be arsed all the time. No need to be.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

My solution is to use the fact that I am never satisfied with my work as a way out. It is not a failure, since the boss only saw the draft of the work (which she always thinks it's wow, which makes me wonder if she is stupid, or if I am too smart), and so on. Since the project is never finished, how can one judge it?

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Yes I've drilled that topic home any number of times to a certain close INTP friend, and he agrees that that's true (Ne) and then just never changes his behavior (Ti.)

It's really pretty frustrating.
    How old are they? Could be you're trying to introduce them to situations that are similar to ones they've been burned on in the past, so they're just reticent. I'll do that with many social situations, but in terms of new experiences that are intellectual in nature I'll rarely say no.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

I'd say I'm semi-paranoid, but it isn't an irrational behavior for me. My semi-paranoia was learned because of how ACTUALLY AGAINST ME people were when I was in elemantary/middle school. It became a normal precautionary mechanism to be very suspicious of everyone and their intentions because of problems in the past caused by people who really WERE plotting to do nasty things to me.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    How old are they? Could be you're trying to introduce them to situations that are similar to ones they've been burned on in the past, so they're just reticent. I'll do that with many social situations, but in terms of new experiences that are intellectual in nature I'll rarely say no.
    That's probably true of the people I'm talking about in my own life.

However, often they fail to recognize that new social situations are one of the best ways to discover new ways to find interesting intellectual experiences. How do I explain this when they refuse to accept any explanation that can't be placed explicitly in Ti terms?

MBTI
    xxxx

I agree with the statements that INTPs wander into the same areas as a paranoid person would. However, I, as an INTP, would state that I am not paranoid. While I do not necessarily trust people, I do not naturally mistrust people either. Like many others, the thought "That woman has a long coat. Maybe she's carrying a concealed weapon." (note my subtle attempt to debunk gender stereotypes; recognize the general assumption about only men being dangerous, or at least more dangerous) This thought does not incite fear or mistrust of the person in question. If she had such a weapon, why would she use it? Why on ME? With those two skepticism, I lose most basis for any sort rational fear.

The problem inherent in the system described above is the eventual realization that it might be safer to, in the situation above, to avoid the person more so than I would had I not considered the possibility of him having a weapon. If there was ever a point for an INTP to become paranoid, I imagine it would be here.

In the last paragraph, I was left with a problem that I must confront. What is my rebuttal? My first attempt would be through the fact that the person need not be a malignant force in my environment; she may even be helpful. From here, I would use this possibility to negate the possibility of the woman harming me. With these two canceling out, I have no justification to either trust or mistrust the person and thus have no justification for paranoia. The potential flaw in this system is where the potential danger outweighs the potential benefits. (IE: woman could kill me vs. woman might make the general area safer; in this instance, the first situation is presumed to be negative much more than the second situation is positive) Without delving into how an individual would weigh the benefits, a rational (not paranoia driven) fear/aversion would be caused by the negatives outweighing the positives. This would further go on to state that, assuming one's weighing mechanism is flawless, that one would never be paranoid because of the justification behind their fears.

To ask to assume, however, would be too much. While one capable to accurately weigh a situation would not be paranoid, it conversely follows that if one could NOT a weigh a situation accurately, one could be paranoid. I cannot prove that I am not paranoid. I can merely offer evidence that I am in a state of lower paranoia due to my methodical search for truth. (which leads to an accurate situation-weighing mechanism)

As a final note, I will conclude that paranoia is a result of a distortion in either perception or judgment. All MBTI functions being oriented towards either, I propose a dysfunctional function in any type can lead to paranoia and that INTPs should not be singled out for being predisposed to this disorder.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ENTJ

I am in love with an INTP, and he is very paranoid. I think it is because they live so inside themselves. They analyze everything with a view of universal truths and hardly take into account "feelings" of others. They usually are not even very sure of their own feelings and/or are scared of being swept away by them. So I can see them having paranoia issues because he does not quite grasp the "unexplainableness" of feelings and it therefore makes him think there is something going on out there he can't explain. And being very smart analytical types, it freaks them out.