• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] The system rewards people who follow the rules

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
discuss

How long do you plan on wasting your life following the rules?

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
It doesn't. At all. It rewards boldness and persistence.

I've tried following the rules, and after high school was over, they didn't offer me any rules to follow and expected me to make choices just to survive. I wish they would give me rules instead of confusing me with all these choices. :(

Sacrator

MBTI Type
ENFP
gah i was just thinking about this. What do the system rebels believe? That we should all just destroy our technology and progress and live like cavemen again?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok

It's neive to think that you don't follow rules, you follow a lot of them without knowing it.

1. when dealing with institutions you need to follow rules, but in the main adults choose to interact with those institutions.
Hence fighting thier rules seems a bit bonkers.

2. Rules of society are their to protect people, one mans freedom is anothers infringment. Vulnerable people need protecting and as members of society we all have a degree of responcibility for our own behavours.

3. rules of etquate - how you ever gonna get laid if you don't follow at least some of those rules

4. even on the net you have rules - how to post, where and subject etc....

So not mad about stupid rules but not nieve enough to say they are not nessesary.

BerberElla

12 and a half weeks
MBTI Type
infp
discuss

How long do you plan on wasting your life following the rules?

Only as long as it suits my inner purpose, if not then I won't follow them, regardless of the reward.

Some rules are necessary, standard, and some are just excess chains bringing you down.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
The 'rules' in existance are societal, individual, religious, group, political, law, etc. They often clash, and rarely coincide. The chances are, that if yeu're following one rule, yeu're breaking another.

The "system" doesn't reward anyone for such, but rather, rewards people for correctly picking the right rule to follow in any given situation.

If yeu live in a low end neighbourhood, controlled by gangs on a daily basis, then following the rules of the law will get yeu killed more likely than anything else; going with whichever gang's in power at the time is political ruling on a group scale. Yeu may totally disagree with their rules, they may be impractical, or dangerous, or foolhardy, but going with the rules in order of precedence, set by the context of the situation, will reward yeu.

Those who can identify which ruleset is most valid at any given time, and make use of such, while being careful to minimize the damage when interacting with conflicting rulesets, will be rewarded. Those who just follow 'the rules' of a single aspect of things, ignoring all others, will be cut down without mercy by every group they offend in the process. Which will be pretty much everyone.

As we are interactive beings, dealing with situations as they come, this isn't really all that surprising. It also explains how people can bargain with their conscience at times, as if they have to go against their personal rules to follow someone else's rules in order to survive or get ahead... so be it much of the time. Those who insist on blindly following only their own rules, ignoring all others, gets the same fate as those listed above, and the same fate as those who follow only the law (selling out friends, making enemies with those in illegal practices, etc), or those who follow only society's rules, etc.

Yeu can't live by a single ruleset and hope to do well, let alone survive for any length of time. The sooner people realize this, the sooner they'll be able to take hold of their lives.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Rules are mandatory, here are some examples:

#17 of the book of acquisition: "A contract is a contract is a contract ... but only between Ferengi. "

or #217 "You can't free a fish from water."

what's really good tho is #111 "Treat people in your debt like family ... exploit them."

And of course the alltime classic: #112 "Never have sex with the boss's sister. "

xD

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
In this day and age those who don't follow rules end up like this

pyzambumbill.jpg

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
... How long do you plan on wasting your life following the rules?

What rules?...:shock: Oh, you mean demands!!

I guess that depends on what the consequences are for not adhering to them.

Rules have levels, IMO!

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
What the hell are you talking about. The way to innovate and succeed and create is to not follow the rules. You're probably just an unremarkable person with little talent, so you figure the system doesn't reward "special" people like you.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
It doesn't. At all. It rewards boldness and persistence.
+1
and shamelessness. All you need to do is not flout the rules too obviously or where it's strategically unwise to do so. People have a tendency to ignore huge breaches if you usually mind the small stuff.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Nah, it rewards assetiveness. That sometimes relates to boldness, persistance and/or shamelessness. But it is not always negative.

Assertiveness is all that matters.

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Assertiveness in some is regarded as attitude/bitchiness in others. It depends on who's asserting and how they line up in the general perception.
Not to mention that you can be assertive while toeing the line and not really get anywhere. (e.g. Goddammit I worked my 40 hours so give me my pittance now.)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
(e.g. Goddammit I worked my 40 hours so give me my pittance now.)

Yeah, wrong kind of assertiveness there. :D

Ultimatly, you have to be pleasing in order to succeed. Wether you do so manipulative or honestly. By bitching alone, you probably don't get anywhere, unless you apply for reality TV shows. :p

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
Yeah, wrong kind of assertiveness there. :D

Ultimatly, you have to be pleasing in order to succeed. Wether you do so manipulative or honestly. By bitching alone, you probably don't get anywhere, unless you apply for reality TV shows. :p

hahah. I dramatized for effect. Imagine "I respectfully request that I be paid what I am owed."
My point was you can be assertive and this alone will only manage to not get you in trouble . . . unless getting by unbothered is success.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
The system rewards people who break the rules and get away with it. It punishes those who break the rules and don't. The point of contention is what it does with those who follow the rules.

This is just a restatement of the prisoner's dilemma, which of course, is what society is. One man doesn't save the other, who sacrifices himself, from the lion, and that man gets to reproduce with both wives. Both men don't try to save each other, both men get eaten. Both men save each other, each man only gets to reproduce with one wife.

Society only works because humans are generally psychologically wired to fear small losses much more than anticipate great gains, so more are going to try and kill the lion, knowing that an alive lion means a greater risk of death.

Metamorphosis

MBTI Type
INTJ
The system rewards people who follow the rules...in order to protect the system. Being assertive and making your own path doesn't mean you're breaking the rules. I'm not even sure how people are coming to that conclusion. Maybe, we're seeing "rules" differently. Although, some systems require you to break the rules of other systems. The only difference in appearance is that some people follow the rules of the legal system and some don't. If people think the illegal/immoral sector doesn't have rules too, then they are mistaken. "Snitches are a dying breed" because they didn't follow the rules. If someone truly breaks the rules, all they've really done is create a new set for a new system and people will eventually follow in their footsteps. Or they'll get owned. The real choice isn't whether you follow the rules or not, but which set of rules you follow.

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
The only true rules are those that are actually enforced. A rule that is not enforced is essentially just a suggestion. Following rules which are enforced will not reward you, but not following enforced rules will penalize you in some manner. So following the rules is not about receiving a reward but avoiding a penalty.

avolkiteshvara

MBTI Type
YaYa
It depends what you make of it.

Rules are must if you want status quo.

If you dare to be great, fuck the rules. You make your own rules.