User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    It doesn't. At all. It rewards boldness and persistence.
    +1
    and shamelessness. All you need to do is not flout the rules too obviously or where it's strategically unwise to do so. People have a tendency to ignore huge breaches if you usually mind the small stuff.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Nah, it rewards assetiveness. That sometimes relates to boldness, persistance and/or shamelessness. But it is not always negative.

Assertiveness is all that matters.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    intp

Assertiveness in some is regarded as attitude/bitchiness in others. It depends on who's asserting and how they line up in the general perception.
    Not to mention that you can be assertive while toeing the line and not really get anywhere. (e.g. Goddammit I worked my 40 hours so give me my pittance now.)
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    (e.g. Goddammit I worked my 40 hours so give me my pittance now.)
    Yeah, wrong kind of assertiveness there.

Ultimatly, you have to be pleasing in order to succeed. Wether you do so manipulative or honestly. By bitching alone, you probably don't get anywhere, unless you apply for reality TV shows. :P
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Yeah, wrong kind of assertiveness there.

Ultimatly, you have to be pleasing in order to succeed. Wether you do so manipulative or honestly. By bitching alone, you probably don't get anywhere, unless you apply for reality TV shows. :P
    hahah. I dramatized for effect. Imagine "I respectfully request that I be paid what I am owed."
    My point was you can be assertive and this alone will only manage to not get you in trouble . . . unless getting by unbothered is success.
    hoarding time and space

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

The system rewards people who break the rules and get away with it. It punishes those who break the rules and don't. The point of contention is what it does with those who follow the rules.

This is just a restatement of the prisoner's dilemma, which of course, is what society is. One man doesn't save the other, who sacrifices himself, from the lion, and that man gets to reproduce with both wives. Both men don't try to save each other, both men get eaten. Both men save each other, each man only gets to reproduce with one wife.

Society only works because humans are generally psychologically wired to fear small losses much more than anticipate great gains, so more are going to try and kill the lion, knowing that an alive lion means a greater risk of death.

MBTI
    INTJ

The system rewards people who follow the rules...in order to protect the system. Being assertive and making your own path doesn't mean you're breaking the rules. I'm not even sure how people are coming to that conclusion. Maybe, we're seeing "rules" differently. Although, some systems require you to break the rules of other systems. The only difference in appearance is that some people follow the rules of the legal system and some don't. If people think the illegal/immoral sector doesn't have rules too, then they are mistaken. "Snitches are a dying breed" because they didn't follow the rules. If someone truly breaks the rules, all they've really done is create a new set for a new system and people will eventually follow in their footsteps. Or they'll get owned. The real choice isn't whether you follow the rules or not, but which set of rules you follow.
    "You will always be fond of me. I represent to you all the sins you never had the courage to commit."

Reason is, and ought only to be the slave of the passions, and can never pretend to any other office
    than to serve and obey them. - David Hume

MBTI
    INTx

Quote Originally Posted by cloud View Post
    discuss

How long do you plan on wasting your life following the rules?
    Why do you feel that following the rules is a waste? It's such a vague assertion.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

The only true rules are those that are actually enforced. A rule that is not enforced is essentially just a suggestion. Following rules which are enforced will not reward you, but not following enforced rules will penalize you in some manner. So following the rules is not about receiving a reward but avoiding a penalty.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    YaYa

It depends what you make of it.

Rules are must if you want status quo.

If you dare to be great, fuck the rules. You make your own rules.