• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] Do you have to be INTP?

Jon Snow

MBTI Type
INFP
Can you change your type? Is that possible or is being a certain type set in concrete? I dont wanna be this detached and unsocial.. are types something you grow into and are destined to be as soon as you were conceived or do you grow into it? I remember as a kid being much more social and.. unlike INTP..

I've never really had trouble making friends but i feel like ive been keeping them as a front, and last year when i finished highschool i just cut all the links with most of my friends,save like 2 not counting their friends, i dont know why, but i did it on purpose.

Also are all nerds INTP? I never really connected with people that society would label as ''nerds''.

Sorry i got sidetracked and i dont remember what i really wanted to add.. :doh:

But if its set in stone and you cant change it seems pretty unfair, why can't i be more..normal? :mellow:

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No you can't change your type, it's ingrained.

Not all nerds are INTP. You ask the question as if you know the answer itself.

And the people that love you and will love you will love you for who you are, not for being some "normal" person.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Some intps are pretty awesome people. But i'm really not the councelor type so 'll let somebody else answer.

The only question i'd like to ask is why do you want to change ? is it purely peer pressure ?
and how exactly would you see that change, give concrete examples

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Why would anyone wanna be normal. choose being extraordinary.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
yes we know spamtar, you have to be extraordinary in order to meet extraordinary people

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
You could act like any type, but why not just become a better you?

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
You could act like any type, but why not just become a better you?

yes!
thought about posting that but I then started thinking about yoghurts. hum. I like yoghurts.

Becoming a better you is probably the best way to achieve awesome, instead some people just become sad fakes like some people i won't name.
Actually that reminds me of an NLP thing to overcome limiting beliefs, you should check it out.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
yes!
thought about posting that but I then started thinking about yoghurts. hum. I like yoghurts.

Oooh yes, Greek yogurt, frozen yogurt...I hear there's some kind of Swedish yogurt, but I haven't ever had the chance to sample it.

LEVINA

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
This gets into the whole theory, is personality set? Why is this set? Because you were born with it/evolved, or is personality malleble, do people constantly change? ect...

As far as I'm concerned, when you get this "deep" into MBTI, take it with a grain of salt, This is mainly just theory going on here and it seems everybody has their take on MBTI.

Don't label yourself, AS OF RIGHT NOW, because it seems it only boxes you in a set standard (INTPs R LYKE NERDS an' ttly weird). If you do care about what others think, then go ahead and change yourself, but mind you, you shouldn't let your type tell you what you are/ect.

I don't take MBTI seriously at all. It's just a fun little game I like to play and think about in my free time. Come on, if this was scientific, would it be as much fun?

Jon Snow

MBTI Type
INFP
Well for instance when my friend invites me to go out i generally always don't want to, and while im hanging out i generally dont want to be with these people and have trouble connecting with anyone..

Well, its hard to explain but i didnt know about MBTI till about 1-2 weeks ago, and when i learned there was an entire group of people just like me i was pretty happy to hear, but now that i realize its genetics that makes me unsocial and detached i feel like i got a raw deal.

Or maybe its just a momentary madness, or i'm just tired of being melancholic, and since i can't change who i am then i guess ill have to find someting to please me..without driving me insane(although being crazy is a pretty appealing though):confused:

Don't worry if i'm confusing you i have a hard time figuring out what i was saying myself

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Oooh yes, Greek yogurt, frozen yogurt...I hear there's some kind of Swedish yogurt, but I haven't ever had the chance to sample it.

I tasted yogurt made from dolphin milk. Freakin' awesome!

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Well for instance when my friend invites me to go out i generally always don't want to, and while im hanging out i generally dont want to be with these people and have trouble connecting with anyone..

Well, its hard to explain but i didnt know about MBTI till about 1-2 weeks ago, and when i learned there was an entire group of people just like me i was pretty happy to hear, but now that i realize its genetics that makes me unsocial and detached i feel like i got a raw deal.

Or maybe its just a momentary madness, or i'm just tired of being melancholic, and since i can't change who i am then i guess ill have to find someting to please me..without driving me insane(although being crazy is a pretty appealing though):confused:

Don't worry if i'm confusing you i have a hard time figuring out what i was saying myself

It's okey really, I'm pretty mad myself.
As I said before i'm not the councelor sort, I could probably give you a self help stereotyped lecture but I'm not sure these things are always the best answer.
First, you have to stop blaming yourself, people around you feel that negativity and react to it. There's nothing wrong with you, and even if you believe that it's all predetermined genetics (which it isn't) well, duh, for natural selection to come up with intps that sort of people had to fit in the general pattern of early and later human society right ?

Now you have to ask yourself, what it is that stops you from going out more ?
Is it inertia, you being used to it. Is it personal taste?
and what makes you feel bad about it? Peer pressure? Some confidence issue?
and to finish, imagine your ideal self, and ask yourself whose choice is it. Is it society, the desire to be accepted or is it the real you getting rid of your chains?

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
I've never really had trouble making friends but i feel like ive been keeping them as a front, and last year when i finished highschool i just cut all the links with most of my friends,save like 2 not counting their friends, i dont know why, but i did it on purpose.

Also are all nerds INTP? I never really connected with people that society would label as ''nerds''.

Both of these things were absolutely true for me. I cut off contact with my friends (of which I had a slew, though "close acquaintances" is probably a better word) after high school graduation, and I never fell in with a "nerd" crowd, in the stereotypical high school sense. I can also relate completely to the feeling of wanting to be another (more outgoing) type. You should see the recent thread by RuffledINTP...it basically covers the same ground you're going for here. I find that, even though I have tremendous trouble being social and, well, NOT detached, it's not something that's impossible for me to achieve. We just have to put concentrated effort into it.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
you could get an entp friend btw, we're absolutly awesome (and modest) and 'd drag you to parties and explain how social dynamics are a funny game.

Take holidays with some wild friends (i'd recommand esfp) and see how it goes.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
oh and get drunk sometimes

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
ENTPs make good INTP buddies. Put frankly, they speak our language, and at the same time are able to stand people. yet somehow manage to quite a few of those crazy ideas us INTPs get in solitude. Living a fantasy, I suppose?

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm not sure if you can change type but you can always work on strengthening the cognitive functions you rarely use that might be helpful in your quest. I know this is possible because even though I'm an ENTP and supposed to have Se as a shadow function, a dozen or so years of martial arts training has pushed my Se up to a tertiary position or even dominant depending on the situation.

Perhaps in your case you can work on your Fe ?

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
For the record, INTPs are not quite as big of nerds as INTJs.

It's the INTJs who feel the need to spend 300 hours conquering ever new RPG or strategy game that comes out.

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
For the record, INTPs are not quite as big of nerds as INTJs.

It's the INTJs who feel the need to spend 300 hours conquering ever new RPG or strategy game that comes out.

I could do it in 40.