First 51314151617 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    67sx

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    Problem -> Adjust = Anti-INTP
    Problem -> Solution = INTP

Oh and, INTP's that are always sweet and nice are probably manipulative bastards.
    Wicked and insightful! The poster should have said they want an INTP evolved in those areas which INTPs naturally neglect.
    Aren't all types amazing when you don't have to put up with their characteristic BS? :-)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    67sx

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I hesitate to call mine well-adjusted because I'm not sure either of us are, but we function and are happy and that's about as much as any of us can hope for, right?

He is usually in his work truck or at home sitting in front of his computer.
    I've read from you before cafe, I find it hard to believe your INTP is a truck driver, I mean doesn't he get bored to death? Doesn't sound like a typical INTP occupation... or maybe he's killing himself with audiobooks and taking apart the radio as he drives

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    67sx

Quote Originally Posted by JustHer View Post
    Where the hell are you? Why don't I know any INTPs?

Don't you all belong where I am at - an applied science program?!

EDIT: STRIKE OUT WELL ADJUSTED!!!!

I really meant INTPs in general.
    Hi JustHer. I have had a very brief exchange with an ENTJ girl before and it was very exciting and promising. I think the ENTJ/INTP dynamic may work well. I've been eager to have another "first encounter" but haven't had the chance. ENTJ females seem to be quite rare. So... if you want to have a chitchat and pick each other's brain I'd be glad to answer your questions!

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by ocean View Post
    I've read from you before cafe, I find it hard to believe your INTP is a truck driver, I mean doesn't he get bored to death? Doesn't sound like a typical INTP occupation... or maybe he's killing himself with audiobooks and taking apart the radio as he drives
    He listens to a lot of podcasts and iTunesU classes, stuff like that. His job originally had 17 stops where he got out of the truck and unloaded stuff, took a little time to shoot the breeze with parts managers (he saw them nearly every day and it was always brief, so he didn't mind that part), there's a decent amount of paper work (not that all the drivers do it) and quite a few laws and technical things to know and follow (not that all the drivers do). He makes himself an expert on any field he works in and driving wasn't any different.

He followed the political debate on Hours of Service. He is on a few truck driving forums and keeps up with the news involving transportation issues. He kept up with the issues auto dealerships were facing and how their automated supply systems worked. He followed what was going on with GM, since he was delivering their parts and how things were going with the UAW. Probably stuff I am not remembering or don't know about.

I think it was kind of a boring job, but it also allowed him a decent amount of alone time and was low-stress. He didn't have to deal with office politics or very much management stupidity. He just had to do his job and collect his check. The money was better than anything we'd had before and not being broke was very, very nice.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    67sx

Default INTPs & money

I can't believe your SO is an INTP and you're assessing your financial situation as "not being broke". INTPs have the ability to earn millions. I think you should help him point his mind on making money, not just for the sake of it, but on the harder problem of aligning his interests with some money making activity, then train him to follow through. His happiness depends on it.

One of the best things in my life for me was finally being able to do something I like a lot and get paid for it and have lots of potential for the future. The problem for most INTPs is that we consider money as a vulgar thing because we're used to seeing other types lust after it. In my case the deciding factor was when I got scammed and ripped off by my boss who owed me tons of stock options. I had no clue how selfish and hypocritical money hungry CEOs could be. That truly prompted me to face my fear of risk and break out of my shell and become self employed (whereas I only really freelanced before now I am creating a machine that will make money automatically). It's the most freeing thing to finally know that no, intelligent people don't have to be single or broke. It's harder for us to find our niche... the thirst for revenge and utter humiliation did it for me. I wasn't going to be the geek working hard to make someone rich anymore. I wanted to be a Franklin, not a Tesla... a Kurzweil not an Einstein.

BTW nice picture, Is that the INTP hugging you from behind the wall of ideas?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I can't believe your SO is an INTP and you're assessing your financial situation as "not being broke". INTPs have the ability to earn millions. I think you should help him point his mind on making money, not just for the sake of it, but on the harder problem of aligning his interests with some money making activity, then train him to follow through. His happiness depends on it.

One of the best things in my life for me was finally being able to do something I like a lot and get paid for it and have lots of potential for the future. The problem for most INTPs is that we consider money as a vulgar thing because we're used to seeing other types lust after it. In my case the deciding factor was when I got scammed and ripped off by my boss who owed me tons of stock options. I had no clue how selfish and hypocritical money hungry CEOs could be. That truly prompted me to face my fear of risk and break out of my shell and become self employed (whereas I only really freelanced before now I am creating a machine that will make money automatically). It's the most freeing thing to finally know that no, intelligent people don't have to be single or broke. It's harder for us to find our niche... the thirst for revenge and utter humiliation did it for me. I wasn't going to be the geek working hard to make someone rich anymore. I wanted to be a Franklin, not a Tesla... a Kurzweil not an Einstein.

BTW nice picture, Is that the INTP hugging you from behind the wall of ideas?
    To me, it symbolizes my love-affair with escapist fiction.

I don't disagree with what you're saying and I wouldn't be above trying to do exactly what you suggest -- I've tried in some small ways to encourage him.

However the idea of attempting to train an INTP . . . think of trying to train a cat and multiply it by about a hundred. The reason he and I are happily married is because I know how to butt out and let him do his thing on his own. The reason he has little or nothing to do with his mother is because she was always trying to 'guide' him. She still disapproves of me after 18 years of marriage because I refuse to do that.

I am content with a modest income. I am content if he wants to pursue something else. I want him to be happy, but he has to make whatever happiness he has himself, just like everybody does. I make a large part of my happiness by being with him, whatever our circumstances might be.

I know that he is working hard, not for a corporation or a CEO, but for me and for his children and for himself, even if those people make stupid amounts of money at his expense.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    67sx

Interesting, surely intimacy is much more important than money once you have the basic necessities of life. However I could never do something that keeps me away from my woman for too many hours a day. Unless I *wanted* to be away but then the relationship would be over soon anyway. Guiding an INTP... hmm... yes it is a tricky business. If someone else had tried to guide me, before I made certain remarkable changes, I may have resisted fiercely. Looking back, I wish someone had told me, in very rational terms, to align my mind bazooka in the direction of success. Not because it is the most interesting area... but because IF one can do that then they never have to worry about "stupid work" again distracting from their mind trips. I used to feel so guilty about going off on a tangent studying something when I knew I was neglecting my security and finances. Guilty, but couldn't help it. Then when I was minding the money, I felt like I was missing out on the world. I knew I was missing out on violin practice, seeing the chocolate hills in Cebu, the sulphur mines in Java. When I quit that job I never went to see these places because I became concerned about money again.

Aligning my interests with something profitable really allows me to be myself and stop worrying, this is worth more than money itself. I sit down, do my thing, follow my instincts, then emerge with something incredible, and at least partially I know it will lead to more success for myself instead of someone else. It's freedom! Biggest obstacle I had to face: my perception of risk was sky high. I have to write in detail about this and see if other INTPs feel the same way, I already know a couple who probably do.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    He listens to a lot of podcasts and iTunesU classes, stuff like that. His job originally had 17 stops where he got out of the truck and unloaded stuff, took a little time to shoot the breeze with parts managers (he saw them nearly every day and it was always brief, so he didn't mind that part), there's a decent amount of paper work (not that all the drivers do it) and quite a few laws and technical things to know and follow (not that all the drivers do). He makes himself an expert on any field he works in and driving wasn't any different.

He followed the political debate on Hours of Service. He is on a few truck driving forums and keeps up with the news involving transportation issues. He kept up with the issues auto dealerships were facing and how their automated supply systems worked. He followed what was going on with GM, since he was delivering their parts and how things were going with the UAW. Probably stuff I am not remembering or don't know about.

I think it was kind of a boring job, but it also allowed him a decent amount of alone time and was low-stress. He didn't have to deal with office politics or very much management stupidity. He just had to do his job and collect his check. The money was better than anything we'd had before and not being broke was very, very nice.
    Why not ISTP?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Interesting, surely intimacy is much more important than money once you have the basic necessities of life. However I could never do something that keeps me away from my woman for too many hours a day. Unless I *wanted* to be away but then the relationship would be over soon anyway. Guiding an INTP... hmm... yes it is a tricky business. If someone else had tried to guide me, before I made certain remarkable changes, I may have resisted fiercely. Looking back, I wish someone had told me, in very rational terms, to align my mind bazooka in the direction of success. Not because it is the most interesting area... but because IF one can do that then they never have to worry about "stupid work" again distracting from their mind trips. I used to feel so guilty about going off on a tangent studying something when I knew I was neglecting my security and finances. Guilty, but couldn't help it. Then when I was minding the money, I felt like I was missing out on the world. I knew I was missing out on violin practice, seeing the chocolate hills in Cebu, the sulphur mines in Java. When I quit that job I never went to see these places because I became concerned about money again.

Aligning my interests with something profitable really allows me to be myself and stop worrying, this is worth more than money itself. I sit down, do my thing, follow my instincts, then emerge with something incredible, and at least partially I know it will lead to more success for myself instead of someone else. It's freedom! Biggest obstacle I had to face: my perception of risk was sky high. I have to write in detail about this and see if other INTPs feel the same way, I already know a couple who probably do.
    He only drove over the road for nine months, when he was just getting started in the job. As soon as he was able to get a position that allowed him to be home every night, he took it.

He hasn't ever decided what he wants to do when he grows up. Originally, he wanted to be a pastor, but once he got out of school, he didn't pursue that career and more or less seemed to change his mind about wanting to do it. A few years later, we went to seminary because he wanted to teach at a religious school, but by then we had four kids and the starving student thing was really taking it's toll on us. I just couldn't do it anymore, so he had to quit that.

He just lost his trucking job, which he didn't mind doing and I told him that I was more than willing for him to try something else. (I know he's wasted where he is.) And now that the kids are bigger I am willing to do what I can to contribute financially so that he could go to school or something if he wanted. I don't want to actually move anyplace else for another year because our oldest daughter is about to begin her senior year of high school, but after that, I'm willing to move if it would be better for him.

At this point, he prefers some security.

I think, perhaps this has to do more with social class than it does with type. His dad is a truck driver and his mother worked in the offices of an oil company, where her father got her a job. He grew up, as I did, in a home that resembled Rosanne much more than it did the Cosbys.

I have no doubt that, if he applied himself to making money, he'd do it and do it well. I do have great qualms about the kind of effort it would take to get from where we are now to affluence in terms of time and levels of stress and whether the cost/benefit ratio would be favorable considering that we're comfortable with our income and live a relatively stress-free life.

Outside of his job, my husband has very few demands on his time. He does his work, comes home, and his time is more or less his own. There are almost no after-hours calls or any social obligations or networking requirements.

As for the guiding part, that isn't my job. I would consider it disrespectful and insulting to tell him how to live his life or what decisions he should make. He's a grown man and I'm not his mother. If I need him to do something different for me I tell him. If I think the kids need something different from him than what he's giving, I share that with him. I don't need more money, the kids don't need more money. So if he does anything different it will be for himself and he has to come up with whatever that would be on his own.

What do you think would be a good thing for a thirty-nine year old man with a wife and four kids, a BA in Biblical Studies, a CDL, and over a hundred thousand dollars in student loans to do in order to become financially free . . . I mean besides leaving the kids and I, cashing out his 401K and crashing on the beach in a third world country?
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Why not ISTP?
    He doesn't really fit the descriptions of an ISTP at all. He fits the INTP ones very well. It's extremely unlikely.
    ~ John Rogers