User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Please help me.

This all boils down to what knowledge, philosophy and beliefs mean to you.

I urge you to force yourself to believe in hedonism at least. If there is no purpose at least try and focus on doing things that bring you pleasure. Just do me a favor and don't hurt others while doing it mkay ?

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

Bunch of crap (including mine) stripped and dumped here.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyboy
    I see such ignorance in the world. People are so blind to the truths, and for good reason. Those who are not, do not wish to live.
    You say you are an existentialist, yet you ask others to give your life meaning. Those are incompatible positions. You must accept that life is meaningless, yet in some ways still desirable and therefore worth continuing, create your own meaning or embrace your own destruction. These are the options open to you. The fact that you are asking for help here, suggests that life already has some meaning for you and/or isn't as joyless as you suppose it is at your lowest point.

Many people who think deeply about existence come to similarly nihilistic conclusions. Those in the thread who blow you off with "You're just depressed" are wrong. Your thinking patterns may lead to depressed mood, but I don't believe depression causes those thinking patterns; otherwise it would be simple to demonstrate that your thinking is entirely irrational. And it is not. I see no evidence of psychosis either. I have come to the conclusion (as have psychologists) that a little illusion is necessary to lead a productive and happy life. It is the clarity of your insight that is causing the problem. Ti is unflinching in its quest for "truth", no matter what the consequences may be. It can be difficult to live that way because we are not robots, at the end of the day.

I don't know what the answer is. I don't believe there is an answer, merely palliatives. Some people embrace hedonism, others religion, others devote themselves to a cause to create some kind of artificial meaning. Why, alone amongst sentient beings (one supposes) must we look for meaning in order to have the will to live? I don't know. I only know it does get easier, and as others have said, medication may help to balance your mood until you work out your own solution.

Hang in there, what's the worst that could happen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Gosh, the world looks so small from up here on my high horse of menstruation.