• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP's being condescending

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
I think INTPs are far more condescending, in general, than ENTPs.

I've never, ever felt that I was being condescended by an ENTP though I cannot recall the countless times I've been talked down to by INTPs.

It may seem counter-intuitive but being condescending is a passive-aggressive introvert-kinda thing to do.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

I've never, ever felt that I was being condescended by an ENTP though I cannot recall the countless times I've been talked down to by INTPs.

It may seem counter-intuitive but being condescending is a passive-aggressive introvert-kinda thing to do.

There's sure as heck INTP's that can be very condenscending. But it may also just be the INTP attempting to communicate and reach understanding. Turning every leaf, seemingly condenscending, but really just Ti'ing in order to reach a conclusion.

I've often been seen as condenscending while I was only trying to harmonously reach a mutual understanding out of sheer respect for the other person. I would not bother if I would not care.

I think ENTP's also have this problem towards F's.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Unfortunately I'll have to disagree here.

We're ludicrously condescending...it's not one of our strong points. :(

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Nish-nish!!

I *know* by the tone of someone's statement, the nuances in their speech, and their particular choice in words if they are trying to communicate with me, or be a self-righteous prick.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ Yup, often without even realizing it.

Nish-nish!!

I *know* by the tone of someone's statement, the nuances in their speech, and their particular choice in words if they are trying to communicate with me, or be a self-righteous prick.

No, you don't, at least not with NTs. You can't read us the way you read everyone else so easily because we deliberately mask our intentions much of the time, and the fact that you think you can is one of the biggest reasons NFPs come off as condescending to us a lot of the time. (Especially because your "reads" tend to involve highly suspect imaginary emotional back stories that have nothing to do with our real reasoning--but we can't tell you that or you just take it as more proof that your read was right. It's really pretty ridiculous.)

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I don't really remember a time when you were all that condescending to me. ;)

I think that it goes something like this, the more intelligent that someone is perceived to be, the more respect. The more respect, the less condescending. But it still does happen.

But eh, any rational person would realize that the ENTP isn't doing it to harm you if they respect you.

If an ENTP does it to me, I bite right back!

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
^ That's mainly because I happen to agree with you on just about everything we've talked about.

If you said something stupid, though, you'd get skewered like anybody else.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
^ That's mainly because I happen to agree with you on just about everything we've talked about.

Yeah I noticed that with you, we DO agree with each other a lot. It's odd.

EDIT: I do remember you going off on me a few times actually, but that was the result of my flawed reasoning/being misinformed. Eh, didn't bother me, all you did was explain why my reasoning was flawed. Do people call that condescending?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
No, you don't, at least not with NTs. You can't read us the way you read everyone else so easily because we deliberately mask our intentions much of the time, and the fact that you think you can is one of the biggest reasons NFPs come off as condescending to us a lot of the time. (Especially because your "reads" tend to involve highly suspect imaginary emotional back stories that have nothing to do with our real reasoning--but we can't tell you that or you just take it as more proof that your read was right. It's really pretty ridiculous.)
This sounds frighteningly familiar. :cool:

Maybe online someone can "mask" their intentions from me.

But, irl?!?

Never.

That's my shit, reading people, filtering out intentions from actions and speech, piecing together all the multiple facets of communication and seeing the *real story*.

I'm usually behind the scenes, chillin', waiting around for you to eventually show up. :)

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
That's my shit, reading people, filtering out intentions from actions and speech, piecing together all the multiple facets of communication and seeing the *real story*.

rolls eyes...

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP

don't forget how exasperating it is when two major things are ignored:

you respect them at least enough to actually take the time to explain (example: this post), and 1. too many times, the respect factor is completely over-looked even though that ingredient is huge and 2. explaining, and knowing why you are, actually points to your understanding yourself...

but, upon hearing how wrong the other has read your thoughts/feelings/motivations/etc., instead of hearing, "oh, i didn't take that into consideration, i'll keep that in mind from now on in order to tweak my system and be right more often", you get instead, "you don't understand your emotions as you rarely use them, but i can see what it is you're feeling even though you can't. if you'd just stop clinging to your stubbornness and realize you're in denial and listen to me, you'd be a healthier person."

then, the other takes what is actually your losing respect for their opinion and thus ending the conversation as it's going nowhere as just more proof that they were right all along. as you've now "shut down".

now, that's what i call condescending.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Unfortunately I'll have to disagree here.

We're ludicrously condescending...it's not one of our strong points. :(

I'm not ludicrously condescending, but I am often condescending with people I dislike. It's not intentional, but it happens.

With people I like, I'm not condescending at all. I wanted to be sure this wasn't just my opinion, so I tried asking some friends who have been honest in answering these questions before, and they agree.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I'm not ludicrously condescending, but I am often condescending with people I dislike. It's not intentional, but it happens.

With people I like, I'm not condescending at all. I wanted to be sure this wasn't just my opinion, so I tried asking some friends who have been honest in answering these questions before, and they agree.

same here. i can be extremely condescending when the situation warrants it (to be very mean or even to make them laugh for just two examples), but i can also control myself (err, most of the time, that is).

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This sounds frighteningly familiar. :cool:

Maybe online someone can "mask" their intentions from me.

But, irl?!?

Never.

I'm usually behind the scenes, chillin', waiting around for you to eventually show up. :)

Naive arrogance. This is why NTPs get annoyed with you. You can't read our minds, so quit trying.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
don't forget how exasperating it is when two major things are ignored:

you respect them at least enough to actually take the time to explain (example: this post), and 1. too many times, the respect factor is completely over-looked even though that ingredient is huge and 2. explaining, and knowing why you are, actually points to your understanding yourself...

but, upon hearing how wrong the other has read your thoughts/feelings/motivations/etc., instead of hearing, "oh, i didn't take that into consideration, i'll keep that in mind from now on in order to tweak my system and be right more often", you get instead, "you don't understand your emotions as you rarely use them, but i can see what it is you're feeling even though you can't. if you'd just stop clinging to your stubbornness and realize you're in denial and listen to me, you'd be a healthier person."

then, the other takes what is actually your losing respect for their opinion and thus ending the conversation as it's going nowhere as just more proof that they were right all along. as you've now "shut down".

now, that's what i call condescending.

Bolded: This is what I was trying to get at with my previous posts with the respect thing... After having done some more objective observation and prodding your minds a bit I understand you guys a lot more and it's cool (the bolded in the 3rd paragraph is basically what I think). I've noticed that with the explaining of motives thing... so that's a typical indicator of ENTP respect then?

:hug: @ the rest of your post.

Also here's a question- do NFPs mostly do this? What you're explaining? I've observed this on this forum, but are there any other types? Just out of curiosity.

Jaguar

Considering the many obtuse posts you have made, you don't have much room to lecture anyone about theirs.
The stench of your ego is more pungent than a junkyard dog's diarrhea.

Qre:us

Considering the many obtuse posts you have made, you don't have much room to lecture anyone about theirs.
The stench of your ego is more pungent than a junkyard dog's diarrhea.

Aww, don't be so hard on yourself, I'm sure your shit doesn't smell that bad. It's just watery cuz of no substance. :hug:

The Decline

(☞゚∀゚)☞
MBTI Type
?
Enneagram
5w4

*sighs audibly, lights up a cigarette, and rolls eyes a bit*

Did you come to that conclusion on your own? Oh gee, congratulations. Your insights are enlightening to us all.