• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTP's being condescending

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
INTJs are far from defenseless against the "debating style" of ENTPs, who make a rapid series of non-related deductions in an effort to "blitzkrieg" somebody out of the debate, which after the eventual realization that all of the ENTP's points are irrelevant, slowly turns in favor of the INTJ. ENTPs hold almost no water in longer debates.

Well, it is no surprise that ENTPs are the weakest of the four rational types. Look at you lot...

This is such a dumb argument, on both sides.

This is getting ridiculous now. "Rational type" does not equal intelligence, for any of the 4 types. Any person can be irrational or uneducated, just as a person of any type can be the opposite. There are just as many idiot INTPs as there are brilliant ESFJs, type has nothing to do with it.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
All of the ENTPs I know IRL have this permanent condescending tone to their voice. It's like their default mode.

Yeah, lol, even IME. They seem to be always "explaning something" to people. I'm not sensitive about my intelligence and knowledge, so I don't care, but I know that more sensitive people are really annoyed, since it seems like they're conveying "how do you not know this? Are you stupid?".

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
So because somebody looks from many perspectives at once, it is impossible to keep a clear view on the goal? What exactly are you getting at? What so called "perspective" am I failing to consider? Simply because I dismiss erroneous claims that have nothing to do with the topic does not make me ignorant of somebody else's opinion.

Relevance is not limited by your own myopia, but you knew that already, didn't you?

You are proving my point right now, by your invective commentary and irrational clinging to your volatile opinions.

Or just defending a position. You know, people do that. It's a good way to sharpen your discussion and debate skills, but you knew that already, didn't you?

I've seen you make this bizarre claim several time now, and I am still unsure as to its intended purpose. What is my "already decided" answer? You make it seem as if views spontaneously appear in my mind without any prior research and observation. Does this make any sense whatsoever? Are you serious when you type this drivel?

Or it could just be a mutual misunderstanding on how ideas form. Ideas do just randomly appear in an ENTP's head; that's the nature of Ne. But you knew that already, didn't you?

Looking at something from many perspectives is completely useless when one doesn't know how to draw logical conclusions. No wonder ENTPs like you become so indecisive and make blunders that you later take back (which you yourself have claimed), you are incapable of staying objective and on point!

Of course, logic is variable based on a whole galaxy of factors, and when one remains so myopic to not see the freight train that will come from behind as the effect of one conclusion, you'll be on point - the point of a locomotive. But you knew that already, didn't you?

Again, my decisions must be magically implanted into my head. :rolleyes:

They are subjected to your own biases, but you knew that already, didn't you?

So this is why ENTPs are frequently flighty and incoherent! You mindlessly strive for different options without any set goal in mind, failing to look at your own analysis properly.

Thank you for clarifying that.

Or, there is validity to keeping options open, since constancy leads to stagnation. Having others critique one's analysis leads to greater precision than would be available to a single person, due to varying perspectives and experiences. But you knew that already, didn't you?

No, ENTPs don't just "believe" you when you present them logic and proof, they become passive aggressive and begin accusing you of refusing to listen to them. Typical Ad hominem attacks, which you yourself seem to be very familiar with.

Or they could be challenging you to defend your position, and retreating into petty sniping about perceived personal slights or obstinate refusal to consider varying viewpoints constitutes a clear failure of defense. But you knew that already, didn't you?

Eh, doesn't this apply to everyone? Clear and logical reasoning is fundamental to proving your assertions.

No, all it does is prove that the logic is sound. It's still got to empirically work before it's proven. Phlogiston was logically sound given the knowledge of that era - still doesn't mean oxygen didn't exist then. But you knew that already, didn't you?

It's funny that you would mention providing evidence, since I've seen many ENTPs accept and present anecdotal evidence without second thought.

And... your point? One anecdote doesn't prove an assertion, but a whole collection of anecdotes is called a trend, which is usually a damn good sign of something being there. But you knew that already, didn't you?

If one doesn't have a clear and rational point, they will invariably "look bad," regardless of who is "parading you around as little more than a dancing monkey."

Categorically untrue. The ones who look bad are the ones who can't help but be assholes in their assertions, even if they are true. How many times have you come off looking like the jerk while everyone else is defending someone acting in an irrational way? You definitely knew this already.
This is an outright personal attack, and I have no idea where to go from here. It is entirely besides the point, and if you feel like delving into a dull and tasteless battle of pointing out each others' speculated character flaws, I would rather just avoid it.

I ask you once more, what perspective am I unable to consider?

The perspective that you're not right in this circumstance? Observations aren't always personal attacks... do I even have to continue?

INTJs are far from defenseless against the "debating style" of ENTPs, who make a rapid series of non-related deductions in an effort to "blitzkrieg" somebody out of the debate, which after the eventual realization that all of the ENTP's points are irrelevant, slowly turns in favor of the INTJ. ENTPs hold almost no water in longer debates.

You don't know that. Prove it. It's likely they've just gotten bored with your incessant droning about an ultimately insignificant point. Continue the litany...

Ad hominem, bare assertion, and a straw man!

Well, it is no surprise that ENTPs are the weakest of the four rational types. Look at you lot...

And it's no surprise that most people on here think your style of argumentation is completely insufferable. Projection much?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Ad hominem, bare assertion, and a straw man!

Get your head out of your ass before posting please?
I was simply reusing the level of bias of the post i was mirroring/responding to.

And since you're so rational, define weakest ?
If you go for the degree to which they stick to rational thinking/stay 'unbiased' entj lose that battle
And if you consider the creation of new view points and concepts, the inferance of new theories relying on base principles Ne is very much more of an 'NT trait' than Ni.

D

Dali

There's this 'normal' somewhat amusing (sometimes) brand of ENTP condescension and then, there's the super-*sshole-few-people-can-stand (check out the blond/brunette? guy being interviewed) brand of ENTP condescension.

Fortunately, the latter are outnumbered by the former.

Unfortunately, the latter do a fab job of tarring the rest of their kin.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The issue here is intelligence related, not type related?

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Condenscending, outspokenly, is not native to the type ENTP any more that it is to any other type in the NT temperament.

Generally, the more intelligent a person is. The less that person feels the need to be condenscending. Condenscending is, at least I always thought, a defensive mechanism of ones incapable intelligence. The need to prove oneself on an area, because they know they lack on so many others, compared to other people. As compensation.

D

Dali

Condenscending, outspokenly, is not native to the type ENTP any more that it is to any other type in the NT temperament.

Generally, the more intelligent a person is. The less that person feels the need to be condenscending. Condenscending is, at least I always thought, a defensive mechanism of ones incapable intelligence. The need to prove oneself on an area, because they know they lack on so many others, compared to other people. As compensation.

Ah, I thought you'd say that (but I had to ask. Developing the Ti, see:D).

In my experience, I've met plenty of superbly-intelligent NTs that are condescending like nobody's business and I've met plenty of the same that are as humble as can be.

That said, I've found that, regardless of intellectual ability, most ENTPs do have the condescension thing going. This is what the thread is about and, as you can see, we're getting confessions from the horses' mouth. ;)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Here's some Ti-ing then.

Maybe because NTP is rather alien from society, the extravertedness is trying to compensate for difference by putting down their territory? Since there isn't much of a place for NTP in common society. And such a place has to be made, if one does not wish to adjust. Which NTP's do not, because we are who we are for a reason, and not because we have no choice. :D

In other words, condenscending (unjustly) is still a means for compensation.

I don't really relate to it myself. I am rarily condenscending, sarcasm aside. :p

Qre:us

All of the ENTPs I know IRL have this permanent condescending tone to their voice. It's like their default mode.

Are you sure your Fi is not being overly sensitive?:huh:

Yeah, lol, even IME. They seem to be always "explaning something" to people. I'm not sensitive about my intelligence and knowledge, so I don't care, but I know that more sensitive people are really annoyed, since it seems like they're conveying "how do you not know this? Are you stupid?".

Explaining something does not equal 'how do you not know this? Are you stupid?'. That's how ENTPs engage with the world, we need the bouncing off of others to figure out the kinks of our ideas. So, when I explain something, it is just as much (if not more) for myself than for the other person. For me, explaining something serves as a way to validate whether I've truly understood the concept, and a way to do that is, creating transparency in my knowledge (how many ways, times, can I conjure up X knowledge so that people of varying modes of processing/levels of understanding can get it, how many languages can I speak [of] X knowledge). Having chances to let the knowledge out, so it's always fresh in my mind. Brain exercise, practice keeps memory alive. The more I call on a knowledge, the more imbedded it will be for me, the more chances I find a way to associate it, the deeper I understand its applicability, relevance. Knowledge mobilization, if you will. Secondly, we are mighty curious, so sometimes we trip over ourselves to satiate that curiosity if we read that the other 'might not know'. It's a good intention. A lot of other people (types) are sensitive to information acquisition because they start off with the position of feigned confidence, "I KNOW!" so anything that challenges that is more important than the knowledge itself. I start off with, "I'D REALLY LIKE TO KNOW!" so when someone explains, if it's something that they keep repeating, or if other interactions with me should give obvious evidence that I know that X knowledge, because otherwise I couldn't have said/conceived Y, then, yes, I get irritated. This latter may be a limitation of mine, as I inadvertently ask of the other to make 'the connection' that to get Y one has to know X. And not everyone may get that.

Otherwise, I like and welcome being taught. Most people take it to mean that they're being schooled rather than taught. I see this as knowledge resistance, which is a very sad thing for an ENTP. Our delivery when we're intent on a knowledge, at least mine's, is very focused, I don't have time, nor do I think about how to 'gloss' the words when I'm in the 'zone'....which may translate to bluntness or aggressiveness. I get told, in discussions, "I don't mean to upset you, I'm just saying a point of view..." or other cushion fillers. And, I'm always surprised that they read my forceful focus as getting irritated by them. Cuz I keep questioning or asking why something is the way it is. Again, not the same as condescending.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram

"Yeah so it's utterly absurd to call an entp condescending ":rolli:

*takes a self satisfied smug pose*

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Yeah so it's utterly absurd to call an entp condescending ":rolli:

*takes a self satisfied smug pose*

Lol yeah, damn, I didn't even see that.

To find someone condenscending, is to be condenscending to those that are condenscending. :D

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
To find someone condenscending, is to be condenscending to those that are condenscending. :D

ouh nice one, I like how you worded that.

'd make a nice signature :popc1: (and would just confuse people further whenever I act like an asshole)

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
most ENTPs do have the condescension thing going. This is what the thread is about and, as you can see, we're getting confessions from the horses mouth. ;)

Alot of entps have a very good understanding of social dynamics, and in general what can be seen as condescension is in fact a 'fun powerplay' rather than a belief the entp has as Ne+Ti is inherently multi leveled and highly relativistic.
On purely intellectual grounds I don't believe a non dumb entp could be anything but humble and deeply agreeing with Socrates' "I know that I know nothing".

I'd even say that most entps came up with relativism kantian moral relativism and something similar to positivism during their childhood before they ever heard of philosophy past vaguely hearing about the names of the guys once or twice.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
ouh nice one, I like how you worded that.

'd make a nice signature :popc1: (and would just confuse people further whenever I act like an asshole)

Hah, I feel honored. :D

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
Relevance is not limited by your own myopia, but you knew that already, didn't you?

Or just defending a position. You know, people do that. It's a good way to sharpen your discussion and debate skills, but you knew that already, didn't you?

Or it could just be a mutual misunderstanding on how ideas form. Ideas do just randomly appear in an ENTP's head; that's the nature of Ne. But you knew that already, didn't you?

Of course, logic is variable based on a whole galaxy of factors, and when one remains so myopic to not see the freight train that will come from behind as the effect of one conclusion, you'll be on point - the point of a locomotive. But you knew that already, didn't you?

They are subjected to your own biases, but you knew that already, didn't you?

Or, there is validity to keeping options open, since constancy leads to stagnation. Having others critique one's analysis leads to greater precision than would be available to a single person, due to varying perspectives and experiences. But you knew that already, didn't you?

Or they could be challenging you to defend your position, and retreating into petty sniping about perceived personal slights or obstinate refusal to consider varying viewpoints constitutes a clear failure of defense. But you knew that already, didn't you?

No, all it does is prove that the logic is sound. It's still got to empirically work before it's proven. Phlogiston was logically sound given the knowledge of that era - still doesn't mean oxygen didn't exist then. But you knew that already, didn't you?

And... your point? One anecdote doesn't prove an assertion, but a whole collection of anecdotes is called a trend, which is usually a damn good sign of something being there. But you knew that already, didn't you?

Categorically untrue. The ones who look bad are the ones who can't help but be assholes in their assertions, even if they are true. How many times have you come off looking like the jerk while everyone else is defending someone acting in an irrational way? You definitely knew this already.

The perspective that you're not right in this circumstance? Observations aren't always personal attacks... do I even have to continue?

You don't know that. Prove it. It's likely they've just gotten bored with your incessant droning about an ultimately insignificant point. Continue the litany...

And it's no surprise that most people on here think your style of argumentation is completely insufferable. Projection much?

This is absolutely brilliant, you've managed to respond to my entire post and yet managed to prove nothing besides your immaculate knack for straying from the point! Great job.

EcK

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
This is absolutely brilliant, you've managed to respond to my entire post and yet managed to prove nothing besides your immaculate knack for straying from the point! Great job.

it was actually precisely his point, if you didn't get it well, I guess I can't help you.
absolutist much ? Well, I'm going to have to break that news to you kiddo, you aren't the universe.