User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

I think NT's are prone to it...

I think there is a blend between - people asking question and the NT's answering the question, but unaware of what the other person knows already - or the question wasn't really what they wantedto know

NT's often can be pretty dissmissive, without sufficient exposure to a person (NTJ's). The judge if a person is worthy of them spending time with.

so yes in my experience any NT can be condesending.

My newest favorite entp has done this to me several times lately. He does not mean to be rude-he just pops out with these retorts. He cant help it. He is young-28-and has a crazy strong NeTi but when Fe shows it is more him being quiet and watching. Once he knows you he forgets to use Fe.

Me: Have you considered setting up dilutions across the plate?
    Him: WHY would I do that?

Which of course made me burst into hysterical giggles as it was sooooooo entp. I didnt take it as rude-more as I could see how my suggestion conflicted with what his Ti was telling him was logical. Most likely he is right, so I didnt take offense, I keep him around and use him mercilessly for his brain, so he'd better be right. (I also told him that-he seemed to like it)

He also told me that I am crazy but that he is crazy as well so it's okay. He has known me for three years so I guess he'd know. He also gave me good entp boy advice the other day. I explained how confusing another entp guy had been to me and he said "oh, yeah, I do that all the time, my emotions confuse me and I don't know what I feel. I really do care a lot, but then they go away and I just move on." He is my new drinking buddy. I am going to find him a nice infj girl.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I know an ENTP, he's only 18 and still has quite a bit of maturing to do, but a nice guy all the same. He does have a tendency to try to one-up people. In my opinion, he doesn't mean it to be rude, but people often take it that way...

When he does it to me I just ask him to stop, if it is annoying me, and he always repects that. It took me awhile to learn to actually speak up, I used to be afraid of hurting his feelings or something , but he's never phased.

Recently we have been talking and he told me that he's working at stopping himself from doing this... then he asked my advice on interacting with people.
    “Can a man of perception respect himself at all?”
    ― Fyodor Dostoyevsky

MBTI
    InTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffster View Post
    How can you tell when an ENTP's being condescending?

When his lips are moving!
    lawl.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Monster View Post
    Once he knows you he forgets to use Fe.
    this sounds familiar

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Two issues:

1. Information is information to us, nothing more or less, so we lose sight of the social connotations when we're dealing with plain info. This usually serves us well, but it's what can come across as condescending (since we're implying that we know more than the other person, when we're really just sharing what we know neutrally).

2. I get in trouble a lot when I slow down and parse my words carefully, seeming as if I'm talking down to the other person, when I'm really just trying to say exactly what I mean and make sure the other person understands completely (as it's hard to translate what goes on in my brain to English sometimes)

Oberon

Oh no, we're never condescending, nor are we ever sarcastic...but if you like, I can use smaller words to help you understand.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Socionics
    ISFP

Too lazy to use our brains!? How about your advice is irrelevant and an unwarranted assumption? No offense, but I don't give a shit about the obvious, obnoxious drivel that always spews outta your damn mouths. Here how about shut the fuck up, once in awhile.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I had an ENTP friend that was never condescending. Actually, he was generally quite nice and friendly to those around him.

Perhaps he should give some lessons to the ENTPs 'round here.
    //Ti:52|Ne:46.8|Te:36.6|Ni:32.4|Si:21.5|Fi:21.3|Se:20.5|Fe:9.3\\ 5w4 (L4, SX/SP)
    My Game Development Blog - Now With Once Per Month Updates!
    *Checks updating schedule*
    Wait, I lied. Less than once per month updates.

MBTI
    INTJ

I don't find ENTPs condescending so much as I find them irresponsible in performing their duties, and irrational when their opinions clash with my own. They quickly resort to bitter, almost passive-aggressive nit picking and stubborn refusal to accept my reasoning. Apart from that, the few ENTPs that I know are usually very interesting to be with, and I find that they add a complementary sense of adventure to the situation. I am rarely ever bored when I am spending time with them, even when we're just sitting in a room with nothing to do. They can be condescending, but it is usually insincere and they rarely intend to seriously insult you.