• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] The Male NT

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I'm curious about male NT's... like there's LOTS of posts about "zomg female intp! female NT! Female entp! (alright I like being referanced to but still)"

But... about guys? They seem to go mostly unnoticed for some reason.

I mean, yeah it's a bit more ACCEPTABLE for a male to be an NT, less social restrictions on "zomg u r no girlygirl enough!" and crap that the female NT has to endure... but I imagine there's alot of unique challanges and benefits that an NT male has that an NT female may not encounter.

That being said, is there anything in particular yeu feel is unique that an NT male has to face that NF/SJ/SP males don't, and that NT females don't? Any really nice perks that yeu get that yeu don't believe anyone else gets to benefit from? Anything really nasty yeu have to put up with that yeu don't think anyone else would understand?

Start talking. Do so now, or I swear we're going to do a little brain surgery with power tools.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
NT males could be said to be the outcasts of society. Females get it easy.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Oh yeah? Seeing how females already have a sub-role to males in society, being female NT makes that even worse. At least that's how it feels. But I love a challenge.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It's pretty cool for me. I was never treated like a social outcast (at least not since the age of 12), I can find my own inner circle when I want, and I get lots of envy and respect. I really like to be alone though, and that's a regular source of misunderstandings ("he's so full of himself", "he surely doesn't like me" etc.).

Recently, I've gone through an emotional crisis of some sorts, and my ESFP shadow popped up a little more often, which wasn't very convenient. I didn't really know what to think of myself, but I'm OK for now. I'm concentrating on my goals, and I think I'm on the right track.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I believe that female xNTx's and male INFx's probably have it the hardest within each gender.

As an INTP myself (and also thinking about close NT family members and friends of mine and their respective experiences), I would say some of the benefits and drawbacks are as follows:

Benefits:
-there's a sort of unspoken (sometimes spoken) respect that we get because people see us as super intelligent. A close family member of mine treated me disrespectfully for many years. Years later I found out (during an outburst of his) that he thought I was so smart that I literally had the world at my fingertips. People always coming to me for help in writing a document, if something "mathy" comes up, or sometimes if they need an informed opinion on something.

-this is weird, but I think when I get mad (or firm shall we say) and get tough with people - i.e., there are certain rare instances where I am able to turn my Ti into Te and I can just pick a situation apart like there's no tomorrow or pick someone's ridiculous BS apart (an example might be in Good Will Hunting in the Harvard Bar scene where Affleck tries to pick up on Minnie Driver and the Harvard snob starts schooling him on the colonial economy - but he was talking out of his butt. Damon stepped in and just ripped him apart. I don't necessarily take pride in this because I have hurt some feelings for sure(although at times it has served me well), but I have found when this happens, people *sometimes* respect me more for it. As an INTP, I exhibit Ne and Fe (which are the 2 most "feminine" traits in this society - Se and Te would be more masculine), so people see me as a softy at times - just happy to go with the flow and live in peaceful tranquility. That sometimes results in a lack of respect in this society - from the ESxx's mostly. But, when I'm able to flip my precise thinking inside out and extrovert it, people are amazed and have this new respect. It's weird.

Some drawbacks:

-an outcast. Very difficult to connect with people. We see the world WAY differently than the vast majority of people. We don't fit in and that's tough sometimes. I see ENTx friends of mine who experience this same thing, but they still fit in - in a general sense. An ENTP friend of mine is actually seen by our circle of friends as "the most awesome dude on the planet". Sometimes I just wanna say, "Hey, over here! I'm just as likeable as him and very similar to him - I just don't want to hang out every night of the week. Maybe just once a week." But, it doesn't seem to work as easily for the INTx's.

Another way to describe this is imagine everyone in the world thinks almost the complete opposite as you. That's what it feels like sometimes. I'm not throwing a pity party - I'm glad that I am who I am - this is just an attempt to answer the OP. When I have a new business idea or an idea for a book or want to talk and have a mildly in-depth discussion about the movie we just watched, it only works with an "N". Hardly no S's that I've met in my life want to hear my ideas (or if they do, they're not interested and the discussion just dies on the spot).

-Another thing as an INTx is that I tend to "dress down" as to not bring attention to myself. I have found that the more dressed up I am, the more I am approached and expected to be outgoing. Most of the time, when I go out, I don't want to be approached. So, I dress down.

Example: If I'm wearing slacks, a dress shirt, and have my hair combed - just about any public establishment I'm in, I get a lot of hello's and small talk type of stuff. If I'm not in that mood at all (which is more than half the time), I will instead put on a pair of jeans with a t-shirt and a baseball cap and just play "the quiet guy" role. I think people probably see me as either snobbish, super quiet/shy, or maybe think I'm just in a hurry to get home. I'm left alone and I feel more "in my element". When I'm in the other scenario, I feel like a fish out of water. Not only am I a heavy introvert and don't really desire small talk, but if I do start talking and get into a real conversation with you, most of the time you're not going to be interested in what I'm talking about anyways. One almost starts to feel like "Really, what's the point of engaging anyone in conversation?" Just stay to myself! But, we all need interaction and so that's what makes it hard. It's hard to connect on any meaningful level. I like it most of the time, but sometimes it makes me sad. :doh:

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh yeah? Seeing how females already have a sub-role to males in society, being female NT makes that even worse. At least that's how it feels. But I love a challenge.
:dont: Because they have 'sub-roles to males in society' as you said they have it much easier. No one looks at the NT female and calls them a smartass or wiseguy
Note: 'wiseguy' is usually used to insult NT males.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
:dont: Because they have 'sub-roles to males in society' as you said they have it much easier. No one looks at the NT female and calls them a smartass or wiseguy

No, they just view us as an abomination of nature, and try to "FIX" us.

That being said, I'm trying to avoid putting this post on that topic because it's been done to death. Please stick to the guys.

*Bonks anyone who does otherwise*

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
That being said, is there anything in particular yeu feel is unique that an NT male has to face that NF/SJ/SP males don't, and that NT females don't?

Although this isn't global for all NT's, I have noticed some commonality. I've caught a lot of flak over the years for having zero interest in sports. It is assumed that because I have testosterone, I should go wild over the local sports teams, purchase seasons tickets to all the venues, participate in fantasy football, and hit the golf course every weekend. I attended a college where athletics was very highly stressed ... everybody was required to both participate and be a spectator ... and did not enjoy that aspect at all. Grad school, with it's emphasis on abstract thinking over sports was like a Godsend to me. I do enjoy individual athletics ... running, weights, cycling, martial arts ... but team sports just leave me cold.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5

NT women are gems, there are not nearly enough of you. :D

Honestly, being an NT male is quirky at times (in ways that escape me at the moment), but I can't really say that I'd rather be anything else.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram

Yeah, instead we get called "icy bitches" :huh:

I don't think we're any better off.

Anyway, NT guys rock my socks off for the most part.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I do enjoy individual athletics ... running, weights, cycling, martial arts ... but team sports just leave me cold.

Not sure if this is a common trait, but yeah... it's the same for me :yes:

Yeah, instead we get called "icy bitches" :huh:

Most guys are turned on by icy bitches, but "smartass" males are a huge turnoff.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Not sure if this is a common trait, but yeah... it's the same for me :yes:

It's the opposite for me. I have LOVED team sports with a passion ever since I can remember. So, sports happens to be one of the very few (if not, THE MAIN) ways in which I can connect with other males. Some male friends/acquaintances that I have - sports is the only area of life we connect on.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
@katsuni: Not true. Perhaps, feminists would be a better description.

@poppy: Getting confused between TJ and NT is not good. ISTJ, ESTJ, INTJ and ENTJ girls can get called 'icy bitches'. NT girls as a whole though would probably be seen as 'the girls who are hard to get' or 'feminists'.

@salt 'n pepper: Insults shall always be insults

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
It's the opposite for me. I have LOVED team sports with a passion ever since I can remember. So, sports happens to be one of the very few (if not, THE MAIN) ways in which I can connect with other males. Some male friends/acquaintances that I have - sports is the only area of life we connect on.

I do have some male NT friends who also enjoy participating in and watching team sports. The majority do not. However all the SJ and SP males I know seem to thrive on team sports. Sorry, but I don't know any NF males IRL. I've often wondered if this lack of sports love by the NTs I know was just anecdotal on my part, or if there really are more NT males who are similarly inclined.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
I do have some male NT friends who also enjoy participating in and watching team sports. The majority do not. However all the SJ and SP males I know seem to thrive on team sports. Sorry, but I don't know any NF males IRL. I've often wondered if this lack of sports love by the NTs I know was just anecdotal on my part, or if there really are more NT males who are similarly inclined.

Interestingly, as I get older I find myself moving more towards the kind of sports you mentioned earlier. Things like tennis, hiking, and swimming have become big interests of mine - they are solitary (or done with 1 other person), but provide a good intense workout just the same.

I was always fascinated by the strategy involved in sports like baseball, football, and basketball. Even at an early age, I knew all the ins and outs of the game - the rules, what particular moves a manager was likely to make in a given situation, etc. I would notice that even adults in my company would just be watching the game for the entertainment of it (not caring too much about the behind the scenes strategies) while I was more into the strategy of it (which is entertaining in itself for me). I was always good at sports too, which probably helped. If I wasn't good at them, I may have turned away from them.

Nighthawk

MBTI Type
INTP
I was always fascinated by the strategy involved in sports like baseball, football, and basketball.

That's the part I've never understood about myself. Since I have a love of strategy, why don't I enjoy applying it to sports? The few NT friends and acquaintances I have who are into team sports all get into the strategy aspect as well. Fantasy football should be a snap for me ... but alas, it's not to be.

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8

This is oh so wrong. There's been numerous times I've been called smartass (in a bad way), bitch, the rudest person [I've] ever met, asshole, etc..

and it's even worse if you're even moderately attractive and dress feminine. trust me noone expects to hear something that the snarky, know-it-all, dodgy social skills IT guy at work would say coming out of an the mouth of an attractive,makeup and dress wearing woman. at least those guys don't get called smart ass to their faces..

and NT men are HAWT. I know a few to whom I wouldn't mind teaching contact sports :cheese:

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
NT guys tend to be the kind of people I find easiest to become friends with.

By the way, he term ice queen doesn't apply once they let you in. 'tis hot in that freezer! *happily gets bonked and purrs* :D

=^.^=

Matthew_Z

That chalkboard guy
MBTI Type
xxxx
For me, being a male NT consists of being regarded as the weird, smart guy that doesn't look at things the way "normal" people do. He questions a lot of things many people think should not be criticized, and he occasionally leaves you wondering how masculine he really is.