User Tag List

12311 Last

Ginkgo

Default Do ENTPs Often Lie or Stretch the Truth?

Not to be derogatory, but I'm wondering if "making things up" is a common trait among ENTPs. My best friend is an ENTP, and every time I talk with him, he says something that sounds spectacular. When I was younger and more gullible, I believed him, but now my N functions can see right through it.

He will often fight to the death to preserve his little story, so I like to interrogate him about it so he ends up looking like a jackass instead of yelling at me. I often visualize him getting tangled up in his contradictory web of lies.

Has anyone else had these experiences? I really do love this trait about ENTPs because it allows them to be so creative. If you stuck an ENTP and an INFP in the same room, they would generate some of the best ideas ever. Unfortunately, most of them would never come to fruition.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

Hmmmm.... good question. I think many of us are prone to exaggeration and hyperbole but usually that's just as a witty for some point that we are debating...

as for outright lying, I don't know.. But my guess is that ENTPs wouldn't do it more than any other type. People lie usually because they want to gain something from the presentation of the falsehood, and as far as I know, all individuals of all types want something.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Many definitely do exaggerate. The exaggerating is not always bad as it makes their stories/ideas more colorful. The lying, however, is always annoying. ExFJs I know are also prone to this.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by SerengetiBetty View Post
    People lie usually because they want to gain something from the presentation of the falsehood, and as far as I know, all individuals of all types want something.
    Yes. To the best of my abilities, all I can conclude is that he seeks attention or just a good laugh when he does it.

He is also quite apt at forming arguments, and even making mental work-arounds.

For example, a few years back his dad told him "Hey Michael, it's Thursday! You know what that means?"

A few hours later, his dad asked him why he hadn't taken out the garbage. Mike's argument was "You told me it was Thursday. You never said anything about trash."

Of course Mike knew what his dad was implying, but he was just trying to find excuses. :P

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

Ok what type of lies are we speaking of ... factual munchausenesque lies OR hypothetical lies? Not sure if you know what I mean but a factual lie would be like saying that he's done something he hasn't .

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Tater View Post
    Not to be derogatory, but I'm wondering if "making things up" is a common trait among ENTPs. My best friend is an ENTP, and every time I talk with him, he says something that sounds spectacular. When I was younger and more gullible, I believed him, but now my N functions can see right through it.

He will often fight to the death to preserve his little story, so I like to interrogate him about it so he ends up looking like a jackass instead of yelling at me. I often visualize him getting tangled up in his contradictory web of lies.

Has anyone else had these experiences? I really do love this trait about ENTPs because it allows them to be so creative. If you stuck an ENTP and an INFP in the same room, they would generate some of the best ideas ever. Unfortunately, most of them would never come to fruition.

Sometimes the spectacular thing is true. We tend to become involved in bizarre situations because we take a lot of risks.

Sometimes I just want to joke. I always clear up the confusion after I've gotten the (hilarious) reaction I wanted. Also, sometimes people can't spot joking, so I can see this being confused for lying.

But I'd actually say I'm the opposite of a liar. I tell the truth even when I probably shouldn't, and this causes problems sometimes.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

No, I/We never tell lies.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Alternate point: We're forgetful, so this can also look like deliberate lying when it's actually a mistake.

Ginkgo

I could find a countless number of anecdotes.

For instance, last week he told me that he had constructed a full metal suit of body armor. Then I patronizingly asked him "Where did you get it?" A slight pause.

"The internet."

Afterword I burst out laughing.

This other time he came to the hospital after I had broken my ankle. For some reason he brought a 6 pack of beer and an Xbox 360. Of course, alcohol was not allowed on the premises, and one of the nurses informed a security guard that Mike had alcohol on his breath.

Not too long after that, the director of the hospital came in and asked him to leave. She asked him to call a ride home since he was a little bit tipsy.

But instead, he called his own message inbox so that it would appear as a legitimate number on the caller ID of the hospital phone. He then somehow drove home himself after pretending to walk across the street to a Circle K.

The whole thing was insanely elaborate, and I'm sorry if my story doesn't seem entirely coherent.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

I know one ENTP who lies, and two who don't (beyond exaggerating and hyperbole--which is fine with me). I don't suppose there's a great type correlation with the preference to lie, but ENTPs seem to be predisposed to being good at it.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"