• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] The hedonist "should"

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know about you guys but the past year or two my use of the word "should" has gone down a lot.

Is it beneficial to stop making idealistic statements? I don't think so. The presentation of goals to the group seems to be generally beneficial.

Because of this I'm going to encourage "should" back into my vocabulary. He'll be serving to display what will give me most pleasure.

S

Sniffles

You have to be able to discern truth from what is false; and what is right for people to do and what is wrong.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
you have to differentiate what YOU think people should do from what SOCIETY thinks they should do, to what THEY themselves, think they should do.

Nigel Tufnel

MBTI Type
ENTP
"should" is one of the most useless words in the language

people are typically motivated by what they want or need, the more shoulds you give to other people, the less they typically do

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"should" is one of the most useless words in the language

people are typically motivated by what they want or need, the more shoulds you give to other people, the less they typically do

Should comes from realizing realizing past wrongs. And helps guide people in the future in similar situations. I wouldn't say it's a useless word. On the contrary, it's a pretty damn important word.

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
uh oh, xNTP disagreement!

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Should'a, could'a, would'a, didn't.

Yes I *SHOULD* do something... but that depends too. Is it that I SHOULD by my own belief? Because it's practical? Because it will benefit people as a whole? Because it will make my life easier? Because it'll help someone else?

There's so many factors to 'should', at which point is it "yeu should do this because it is the law, even if the law is pointless and goes against everyone's interests"?

There's other problems as well, how about "yeu should do this because it will benefit me but harm yeu", or "I should do this because it will benefit myself but noone else".

Should is really just an extension of value; value can be personal, it can be societal, it could be religious, it could be law. To each of these things, however, it is only an extension of value, and value is not a set in stone concept, but rather a perception, something which can be viewed at many angles.

Let's say yeu have a no win situation... yeu have 100 children held hostage. One of them is yeur own child. If yeu sacrifice yeur one child, the other 99 will go free. If yeu don't, then yeu keep yeur one child that is yeur own, and the other 99 perish. Whot "should" yeu do?

The definition of the term 'should' becomes highly subjective, there's so many factors in play, and the value of each one depends entirely upon yeur personal beliefs. No matter whot yeu do, there is no 'real' right answer to this question, as yeu're going to feel guilty no matter whot yeu do. Yeu will ALWAYS think after the fact "I should have done..." regardless of the decision made.

That being said, is 'should' as a word useful? When used to yeur own personal sense of value, yes. When trying to impose yeur personal values upon another? No. Because it is an extension of perception and will never properly apply to any perception other than the one it was born from.

As long as yeu maintain its' usage to its' own perception, it works well. "If yeu value life, yeu SHOULD do this". Tying it directly to the perception it correlates to will explain the reasoning behind it.

Just saying "yeu should do this" means nothing, other than stating "my values are these".

To use it as a statement of fact, without explaining the perception it's tied to, is to misuse the word. "Yeu should do this because to do otherwise is evil" means NOTHING other than stating "I value X", and it does literally absolutely nothing past that point. The only thing saying 'should' in that context did was specify the perception of the one making the statement.

That being said, should, as a word, is not inherantly bad. It's just generally misused and attempted to be forced as an absolute value, rather than a variable based on perspective and context.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Oh I thought of something additional when chatting to someone in AIM about this =3

"Should" can also be used as prediction of future events, but still maintains its' same usage.

For example, if A and B occur, then I believe C should also occur.

This's based off the perspective of a specific understanding of the correlation of A and B, with the objective data provided. If yeu were given new information, which contradicted that, then yeur perspective would change. In this case, "should" still denotes only that yeu hold a particular belief or perspective, and in no way changes its' usage.

Regardless of how yeu put it, "should" is just a descriptive word that does not describe whot it's actually appearing to describe. Yeu use "should" in a manner of "yeu should do THIS action", but the action itself is not whot's being described, but rather, it's describing the perspective and values which would correlate to that action being in line with those values.

Weird isn't it? XD

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
like you should have made a better title, this has nothing to do with hedonism.