• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Learning to screw up....

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I was talking about screw ups in general rather then job related or professional screw ups in specific. As an INTP I'm more likely to miss good opportunities then to screw up on something, especially when quick risk analysis or decision making is involved.

But what is it that stops you taking a risk.....

Whats the trade of in the opportunity... how big does the return need to be before you break your risk rule...

And yes not nessesarily about work at all...

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
"Lehrjahre sind keine Herrenjahre" what can be loosely translated with "In your time of education you are not the boss".

I think this roughtly translates to apprentice.... although they don't exist as much these days. I know in Germany you need to do a fair bit of that even to open a bakery... it's not like that here...

He will be made to buy beer for the others, he will be criticized for his work and he wont be told about anything how to do it right on his first day.

And then if he reaches the point that he is full of frustration and doesnt know what to do no more, he will make an epic mistake, like everyone does on his first day. And after that his boss will become all friendly and starts to explain things to him and he is accepted in the community :D.

Its a pretty brutal ritual and nowadays its not that brutal anymore, but it exists because many people who were new on the job tried to tell the older ones how its done. But in crafting, if you never worked on a construction area, its highley unlikely that you will know how its done, therefore the older farts try to make the younger ones more receptive to learning.

Yes that happens here too - new guys get sent for left handed screw drivers, and hymen dislocating fluid (look it up), and cans of elbow greece.... they are very mean to newbies...

Now, what would stop you taking a risk.....(if anything)....

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ahahahaha, no no way, I'm even geekier than that!

LOL - so what would you have reservations doing (and why) and what would need to happen before you would take the risk and do it... :D

Timeless

Playnerd
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
This guy put it beautifully:

"Would you like me to give you a formula for... success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure. You're thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn't at all... you can be discouraged by failure -- or you can learn from it. So go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because, remember that's where you'll find success. On the far side." -- Thomas J. Watson, Founder of IBM

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
But what is it that stops you taking a risk.....

Whats the trade of in the opportunity... how big does the return need to be before you break your risk rule...

And yes not nessesarily about work at all...

I don't really know where I draw the line exactly. But for one thing, I usually ponder the possible outcomes and the likeliness of each outcome occurring before I take a risk.
I reckon I could be externally motivated to take more risks if it was made clear to me that I would not be held personally accountable for potential negative outcomes. In my case maybe it would be a good idea to discuss my vision of possible risks and discuss which negative outcomes I am willing to accept responsibility for.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
LOL - so what would you have reservations doing (and why) and what would need to happen before you would take the risk and do it... :D

Well, at university I always have trouble when I want to propose a new idea in a paper. It seems like in this case professors either give you the top grade or absolute zero, with 50-50 percentage. And since education is expensive, and repeating exams is expensive, then that's a risk I became quite unwilling to take :D But I don't know if you wanted a more general exposition

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
This guy put it beautifully:

"Would you like me to give you a formula for... success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure. You're thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn't at all... you can be discouraged by failure -- or you can learn from it. So go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because, remember that's where you'll find success. On the far side." -- Thomas J. Watson, Founder of IBM

Ah spoekn by an ENTP reclass like myself....

I do think "do it" and ask for forgiveness... :D so far taking that type of risk hasn't caused me pain.... however I get in to trouble for other things

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I don't really know where I draw the line exactly. But for one thing, I usually ponder the possible outcomes and the likeliness of each outcome occurring before I take a risk.
I reckon I could be externally motivated to take more risks if it was made clear to me that I would not be held personally accountable for potential negative outcomes. In my case maybe it would be a good idea to discuss my vision of possible risks and discuss which negative outcomes I am willing to accept responsibility for.

What type of outcome would put you off... do you think you over state the outcomes...? See more fear than there needs to be in a decision?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, at university I always have trouble when I want to propose a new idea in a paper. It seems like in this case professors either give you the top grade or absolute zero, with 50-50 percentage. And since education is expensive, and repeating exams is expensive, then that's a risk I became quite unwilling to take :D But I don't know if you wanted a more general exposition

I'd agree that it would probably not be worth the risk, but then I may also try and find a way to figure out what was the difference between a new idea in a top grade (which is probably supported by a logical argument) and a zero grade (but thats just me)...

So what time of trade off do you make before you take risk?

Wild horses

MBTI Type
ENFP
This is one thing I don't need help with... I seem to screw up with ease... I like to think of it as a natural talent! :D:D:D

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Guys

Do you think NT's need to get it right stops them taking risks because of fear of screwing up more so than other people? Does this mean they are doing stuff in their lives which they would rather not do?

Poser

Fe, rusted.
MBTI Type
INTP
I wouldn't say that the fear of screwing up has kept me doing stuff in my life I would rather not do. But definitely from doing the stuff I would rather do. If things are just okay, I could waffle for decades.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Yeah. I've learnt not to be scared of screwing up. Not in work yet but in my drama stuff. You need to take critisism and push yourself to give your best performance. Its hard but satisfying when you get somewhere.