User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I was talking about screw ups in general rather then job related or professional screw ups in specific. As an INTP I'm more likely to miss good opportunities then to screw up on something, especially when quick risk analysis or decision making is involved.
    But what is it that stops you taking a risk.....

Whats the trade of in the opportunity... how big does the return need to be before you break your risk rule...

And yes not nessesarily about work at all...

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    "Lehrjahre sind keine Herrenjahre" what can be loosely translated with "In your time of education you are not the boss".
    I think this roughtly translates to apprentice.... although they don't exist as much these days. I know in Germany you need to do a fair bit of that even to open a bakery... it's not like that here...

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    He will be made to buy beer for the others, he will be criticized for his work and he wont be told about anything how to do it right on his first day.

And then if he reaches the point that he is full of frustration and doesnt know what to do no more, he will make an epic mistake, like everyone does on his first day. And after that his boss will become all friendly and starts to explain things to him and he is accepted in the community .

Its a pretty brutal ritual and nowadays its not that brutal anymore, but it exists because many people who were new on the job tried to tell the older ones how its done. But in crafting, if you never worked on a construction area, its highley unlikely that you will know how its done, therefore the older farts try to make the younger ones more receptive to learning.

Yes that happens here too - new guys get sent for left handed screw drivers, and hymen dislocating fluid (look it up), and cans of elbow greece.... they are very mean to newbies...

Now, what would stop you taking a risk.....(if anything)....

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    So you're not gonna accuse me of being a super geek (even if it is behind closed doors).....
    Ahahahaha, no no way, I'm even geekier than that!
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    2w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    INFj None

geeks rule

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Ahahahaha, no no way, I'm even geekier than that!
    LOL - so what would you have reservations doing (and why) and what would need to happen before you would take the risk and do it...

MBTI
    ENTP

I wonder what the geek equivelent of a mexican wave is.....

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

This guy put it beautifully:

"Would you like me to give you a formula for... success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure. You're thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn't at all... you can be discouraged by failure -- or you can learn from it. So go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because, remember that's where you'll find success. On the far side." -- Thomas J. Watson, Founder of IBM

MBTI
    SEXY

But what is it that stops you taking a risk.....

Whats the trade of in the opportunity... how big does the return need to be before you break your risk rule...

And yes not nessesarily about work at all...
    I don't really know where I draw the line exactly. But for one thing, I usually ponder the possible outcomes and the likeliness of each outcome occurring before I take a risk.
    I reckon I could be externally motivated to take more risks if it was made clear to me that I would not be held personally accountable for potential negative outcomes. In my case maybe it would be a good idea to discuss my vision of possible risks and discuss which negative outcomes I am willing to accept responsibility for.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

LOL - so what would you have reservations doing (and why) and what would need to happen before you would take the risk and do it...
    Well, at university I always have trouble when I want to propose a new idea in a paper. It seems like in this case professors either give you the top grade or absolute zero, with 50-50 percentage. And since education is expensive, and repeating exams is expensive, then that's a risk I became quite unwilling to take But I don't know if you wanted a more general exposition
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    This guy put it beautifully:

"Would you like me to give you a formula for... success? It's quite simple, really. Double your rate of failure. You're thinking of failure as the enemy of success. But it isn't at all... you can be discouraged by failure -- or you can learn from it. So go ahead and make mistakes. Make all you can. Because, remember that's where you'll find success. On the far side." -- Thomas J. Watson, Founder of IBM
    Ah spoekn by an ENTP reclass like myself....

I do think "do it" and ask for forgiveness... so far taking that type of risk hasn't caused me pain.... however I get in to trouble for other things