User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Nice, it's actually never been mentioned to me as a 5-fold decision making process, it's a really good way to look at it. I feel like many people love if you (especially if they "care" about you) take the maximin approach, that is avoiding all possible pitfalls - but that also could be due to me having SJ parents.
    So you're not gonna accuse me of being a super geek (even if it is behind closed doors)..... Different decisions need different approaches depending on preference....

Yes risk averse tends to have a min outcome.....

I loved Jennifers comment
    "If people feel they will be ridiculed, or people will think they are incompetent, or they think they might get docked a raise or lose a bonus or suffer some other tangible hardship for making a mistake, then they won't go there."

The whole risk of social failure..... where people will judge you is so important at different point in time....

I'm not sure if it translates to state side, but nearly every new mum seems horrified that people will judge her a bad mother.... It does assume that the person who is judging is better than you. A lot of relaity shows where there are scenes of one competitor putting down another is all about the putter downer thinking they are better (it's really funny when they are next to be booted).

I guess the percieved judgement of outcome is the major off put for risk

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    [CLICHE]Hmm, there is no such thing as a screw-up, only learning experiences.[/CLICH…]

Obviously I think screw ups should be avoided if possible, but when they do occur, it's look at them rationally, learn from them, improve and retry. There is no point in condemning screw ups since they're prone to happen occasionally.

The only really bad screw up is the one made twice.

Ah oober goo-eee

It sounds like you don't do it often enough for it to be a big barrier to you

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I screw-up every day at work ..

flat joke alert, uaaahhhaahahaha xD
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post

flat joke alert, uaaahhhaahahaha xD
    Looks like a philips not flat

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

wow, you call em a Phillips ? Nice

On behalf of my country I am honoured

MBTI
    ENTP

wow, you call em a Phillips ? Nice

On behalf of my country I am honoured
    yes to my knoweldge but I'm no handiman... but I've never heard them called anything else...

Was it inveneted in Germany?

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I just know the company Phillips. Sometimes, if some machinery is from a foreign country it has a different norm for screws. So maybe back in the days when there wasnt the europe-wide accepted norm like today, someone called the screws from Phillips-company that way, dunno .

My english is not so good, I tried reading your things here but I didnt get much. What do you mean with someone needs to screw-up in his job from time to time ? Like to know where is boundaries are or that he doesnt become arrogant or that he knows the feeling and is prepared if it happens ? I didnt get that :/

MBTI
    ENTP

I just know the company Phillips. Sometimes, if some machinery is from a foreign country it has a different norm for screws. So maybe back in the days when there wasnt the europe-wide accepted norm like today, someone called the screws from Phillips-company that way, dunno .

My english is not so good, I tried reading your things here but I didnt get much. What do you mean with someone needs to screw-up in his job from time to time ? Like to know where is boundaries are or that he doesnt become arrogant or that he knows the feeling and is prepared if it happens ? I didnt get that :/
    Yes it's likely that Philips has become a generic term....

Ok I just used work as an example of people feeling safe to push their boundaries and grow...

I know some folks struggle to take risks (NT's particularly hate appearing foolish), and just wanted peoples thoughts on how they manage risk.

Do you stay in your comfort zone (in life), what do you consider brave, what stops you from taking risks... that type of thing...

More a general question to start the subject...

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Ah oober goo-eee

It sounds like you don't do it often enough for it to be a big barrier to you
    I was talking about screw ups in general rather then job related or professional screw ups in specific. As an INTP I'm more likely to miss good opportunities then to screw up on something, especially when quick risk analysis or decision making is involved.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I see, well yea thats a good topic.

I like one special attitude I know from my dads job. He works as a plumper and if you as a young human want to become a plumper, you start as something like a trainee. And there is the spelling that says "Lehrjahre sind keine Herrenjahre" what can be loosely translated with "In your time of education you are not the boss".

So if there is a new trainee on a constructuon area, he will be treated badly by all the craftsmen there. (It's a pretty bad ritual, but it works all the time). He will be made to buy beer for the others, he will be criticized for his work and he wont be told about anything how to do it right on his first day.

And then if he reaches the point that he is full of frustration and doesnt know what to do no more, he will make an epic mistake, like everyone does on his first day. And after that his boss will become all friendly and starts to explain things to him and he is accepted in the community .

Its a pretty brutal ritual and nowadays its not that brutal anymore, but it exists because many people who were new on the job tried to tell the older ones how its done. But in crafting, if you never worked on a construction area, its highley unlikely that you will know how its done, therefore the older farts try to make the younger ones more receptive to learning.

When I helped my Dad out at work they tried that with me too and I the naive guy even went and bought the electricians their beer they send me to get. If my dad found out about this he yelled at the guys telling them i am his son and just helping out and no trainee *lol*. It's a mad world out there on the construction area