• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs: verbal memory

Can you rmember verbal details of conversations from the past?

• ENTP-yes

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • INTP-yes

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • INTJ-yes

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • ENTJ-no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENTP-no

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • INTP-no

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • INTJ-no

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • ENTJ-no

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

sculpting

Can you remember what someone told you a month or two back-word for word?

This would lead you to recognize when they have changed thier mind 47 times in a row.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Frieghteningly so....

I can remember things people told me 15 years ago - random facts like their little bro's middle name... it freaks them out when I mention stuff like this...

It's not always the important stuff I remember but odd things. But if I've been paying attention, I would remember the details of the conversation, possibly bits verbatim and certainly could paraphrase a fair bit...

That said I can be forgetful sometimes too, but that's different I think

I'm dyslexic, so I might be a freak about stuff like that.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
I always remember the random stuff. And for some reason its always the stuff everyone else forgets about but then ends up being important.
Also Its great shock value for when people think you weren't listening!

murkrow

Branded with Satan
MBTI Type
INTJ
ENTJ-no or ENTJ-no...

Has it really come to this?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Jag

The first post is from a reather drunk poster, so it makes total sense in a parallel universe...

He shares his condition in the bonfire unless it's been deleted....

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
The second post (from murkrow) is talking about the poll options. ENTJs have no yes option. And it has nothing to do with verbal memory.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
What was the question ? :D

I've seen that Stargate Atlantis episode recently, when the whole city comes down with a virus that make them loose their memory. They ended all up with even not-knowing their names no more.

There was one convo in that episode and I only recall it, because it gave me an idea, it was:

Scientist: "Hell I already forgot the name of my mother, forgetting her birthday I am used too, but I cant forget the damn name, not possible."

Girl: "What is pi ?"

Scientist: "3,14159265"

Girl: "See, you will not forget what you do concern the most with until the end."

---------

I think thats basically the same with remembering sentences from convos. If unpracticed, one will be bad at it. I dont think tho its necessarily type related.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Yeah, too much actually, it's scary. Conversations and faces I can remember even if I don't want to. Sometimes, I can get to know somebody and say "Hey, I think I've seen you at the market in City X on the 14th of October, was that you?" and he/she'd be like "o_O wtf yes".

This sometimes causes me trouble with people that may not be thinking about it, or that may approach things in a less "systemic" way. For example, if my girlfriend says that she has to do something at time X on day Y, then she meets another girl after two days and they agree on meeting at a time really near to X I might immediately object that she's already busy with that. But she wasn't thinking about it.

For this reason I never really needed a written down schedule, I can pretty much remember everything in my head. This used to make one of my bosses mad, until one day I recited him 30 phone numbers I had just casually watched one minute ago. Then he started to believe me. Sometimes it gets a bit obsessive and I don't like it: I may start to remember the price of everything, every timetable of the train I see, everything the professor said at the lecture (and that may not even be good for the exam since they're not always coherent!), etc

Jaguar

Jag

The first post is from a reather drunk poster, so it makes total sense in a parallel universe...

He shares his condition in the bonfire unless it's been deleted....

Oh, that nonsense again.
I recall that person saying some strange things, months ago.

Thanks.

redacted

I pretty much never remember anything word for word. I only remember what I was thinking about and how I processed what they said. Sometimes I can work backwards, but it's an underconstrained inverse problem.

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
I tend to remember in images, or nebulous "thoughts" which have no shape or form, but are more like essences of meaning, understanding, and concept.

I tend to not remember words or things I hear at all really.

Verfremdungseffekt

videodrones; questions
MBTI Type
INTp
Enneagram
5w4
ENTP: yes
INTP: no.

Heh.

Yes, my memory consists of amorphous blobs of play-doh.

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Depends.
There are some things i really do remember word-to-word, and not only that, i also remember the whole "movie".
On the other hand i may forget people and the simplest things. there was a thread a while back where NTs discussed how they often forget people they have been talking to or forget their names etc.

And, btw, i also think more in abstract pictures and "concepts". perhaps i'm turning to an INTP? :)

Factotum

MBTI Type
INTP
I remember everything I heard, no matter how long ago, as if it had happened yesterday. Too bad I actually don't even remember anything from today...

sculpting

The reason I ask is that I have met three entps who can do this-it may be that they were focusing on the content at that moment thus it stuck.

I cant remember what I said five minutes ago let alone months ago. A bit like Evan-I remember "tones" of what was meant but not the actual content.

This drives the three entps inasanse when they interact with the rest of us, as we forget what was decided then proceeed to have to have a long drawn out conversation to redecide what we already decided.

(Sorry entjs!! I really do love you guys, but my poll skills seem to be lacking)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I tend to remember the idea of the conversation. The reason and the subject. But literal words and sentences? Why would I bother remembering that. Unless it's a really cool constructed sentence, or like a wicked method of wordplay or sorts, then I often do remember.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If you concentrate enough, anyone could do it. I don't tend to focus much when people talk, especially with verbal instructions, I've gotten into a lot of trouble for not paying attention to such things :\

But I can remember some things when I find them interesting, just about word for word, though word for word is kind of ridiculous surely. I thought INTPs would be better at this really, the introverts focus more right?? well, I've known ISTPs to be really good with memory of all kinds. And also, sleep can seriously affect this. I'm goin for a run lol.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
But literal words and sentences? Why would I bother remembering that.

Well, it's not like I "bother" doing that either. It just happens naturally, without any effort.

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
The reason I ask is that I have met three entps who can do this-it may be that they were focusing on the content at that moment thus it stuck.
Kind of makes sense, when you think about it that way that "what was being said" is actually external and ENTPs are more focused on the outside... Ok, I just lost what I wanted to say, even though I did have a good insight. Darn. Happens so often :(

I tend to remember the idea of the conversation. The reason and the subject. But literal words and sentences? Why would I bother remembering that.
That's the thing - I have never "done" anything to remember something word-to-word, I just remember. Vividly. As I said - if I do remember, I remember the whole "movie", i.e. not only words, but also the tone of the voice, what the person did, how he looked like, what was his emotion, where he said that, how was the light like in the room etc etc etc.

If I'm trying to remember something exactly, I use mnemotechniques as well sometimes, when needed, but that's a totally different story then. If I use some kind of techniques, I'm actually sort of half-consciously re-producing what was being said, done or smth from the connections I had made. If I "just" remember, I don't have to do anything to get the memory back. It's much faster and, also, I'm much more certain of the memory, there is just no doubt at all.

Now I'm thinking what ARE the things I remember so well... I'll let you know :)