• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs: verbal memory

Can you rmember verbal details of conversations from the past?

• ENTP-yes

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • INTP-yes

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • INTJ-yes

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • ENTJ-no

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ENTP-no

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • INTP-no

Votes: 9 18.4%
  • INTJ-no

Votes: 5 10.2%
  • ENTJ-no

Votes: 1 2.0%

• Total voters

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
In my opinion E people are better at doing this, because we're focussed on the outside world and well, words are outside world kind of stuff.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
In my opinion E people are better at doing this, because we're focussed on the outside world and well, words are outside world kind of stuff.

I think so, conversations I process internally immediatly. I don't pay attention to words, but rather the meaning. I really don't care how people say it, as long as I understand it.

But like I said, wordplay or other intruiging sentences and kind I do pay attention to and do remember.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think so, conversations I process internally immediatly. I don't pay attention to words, but rather the meaning. .

Guys a wee bit off topic, I run a book club, and different people join (and sometimes move on), last year a drama teacher joined us and she said she read whole paragraphs rather than actual word.... last night we had another meeting an a new guy mentioned that his father did the same thing... I'd never come across that before (presumably it's the same as you would read whole words not letters)... do you think this realates to E/I function... I suspect the lass was an ENFP...

PureStealth

MBTI Type
INTJ
Word for word no, but I certainly remember the overall theme of a conversation with high accuracy

Lithium Onyx

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
I tend to remember the idea of the conversation. The reason and the subject. But literal words and sentences? Why would I bother remembering that. Unless it's a really cool constructed sentence, or like a wicked method of wordplay or sorts, then I often do remember.

This. The first two sentences, anyway.

But I remember words and details pretty clearly too, but randomly. I'll remember insignificant details that don't mean anything in particular, which leaves me wondering why I remembered them. Also, sometimes I will even find after waking up from a dream (especially about that person) I'll recall more details of a conversation than before. :huh:

Jon Snow

MBTI Type
INFP
I mostly forget conversations i had 15 minutes ago, im much more visual then auditory though.

Froody Blue Gem

Necromancing Scapelamb
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yes, I am pretty good at remembering things from conversations. I remember convos in detail from years ago and when I verbalize silly little things my mind retains, people are either amazed or creeped out. Some people don't remember the stuff they said that I remember. I may also remember the likes and dislikes of people from the past. I am not too good with names at first but once I remember, they tend to stick and I remember names from years and years ago.

One thing is when people say things I perceive as hurtful, those are things that definitely stick. Also, funny, memorable, powerful things people say is what sticks too. I associate these people with their quirky phrases. Though in stressful situations, I may have trouble remembering things. It may be a certain repression or something along those lines.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I generally remember only the conclusions and important data. (especially if it is a leverage, dealbraker or paradigm-shifter)

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Words? Heck no. Most my past is a blur and that includes conversations. Girls always remember the tiniest details I've said in conversations long ago even "supposed hurtful" ones, and I don't remember anything at all. I just don't understand how people can hold on to details of the past so much and so personally and then bring it up a year later.

Apparently ENTP has equal yes and no... Shouldn't we have bad memory? I do. I mean I hear that ENTP's usually remember mainly just a blur as their past. I don't remember many details (but some random times I remember details others don't and idk how that happens) I more so just see a Pig Picture (In general). An impression. That's how mine is. And Si remembering and details is the inferior function. That's because the past is set in stone, the future isn't. So my brain deems it unimportant.

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I can't even remember what I said yesterday, let alone a conversation any length of time ago...usually anyways. If I remember something, it is 9/10 times because someone said I was wrong. Which generates months of thinking.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
I can't even remember what I said yesterday, let alone a conversation any length of time ago...usually anyways. If I remember something, it is 9/10 times because someone said I was wrong. Which generates months of thinking.

Unfortunately I find people will accuse you of being wrong against all evidence, that kind of analysis paralysis is too costly for the day to day.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Unfortunately I find people will accuse you of being wrong against all evidence, that kind of analysis paralysis is too costly for the day to day.

Or they will say you did this or that and it hurt their feelings and they won't explain to you what it was in order to... oh idk... fix the problem by knowing the 'error'? So it's like "Ok... thanks for making feel bad. So now what? Can I know what it was? No? Well I just might do it again then" which seems useless.

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I just get the concept , i admit i use my memory alot for others things tho( more personal exploration than focusing in the world around me).
I guess having a better memory always gonna be better.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I use my memory to store personal data pieces. Information. Other than that. Nah.

Gotta love it when it becomes a serious problem in relationships. Not focused enough on their feelings, too much on information. Brainiac.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
it recall agreements with that level of detail... some other conversations i can recall that way... it really sort of depends...

Greed

#1 thot
in general, my memory is quite terrible, but my short-term verbal memory is absolutely HORRENDOUS. i am terrible at remembering verbal instructions, so i have a hard time following them, making things like job training rather difficult. i often try to use a pen and paper to write things down, but people speak much faster than i can write. and often i forget what they were saying partially through trying to listen and write at the same time. it's a mess. i'd really like a way to improve it.

i know this topic seems to be more about long-term memory, but if anyone has any tips for my short-term verbal memory, i'm all ears.