User Tag List

View Poll Results: Can you rmember verbal details of conversations from the past?

Voters
41. You may not vote on this poll
  • ENTP-yes

9 21.95%
  • INTP-yes

7 17.07%
  • INTJ-yes

5 12.20%
  • ENTJ-no

0 0%
  • ENTP-no

8 19.51%
  • INTP-no

7 17.07%
  • INTJ-no

5 12.20%
  • ENTJ-no

0 0%
First 123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I pretty much never remember anything word for word. I only remember what I was thinking about and how I processed what they said. Sometimes I can work backwards, but it's an underconstrained inverse problem.

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

I tend to remember in images, or nebulous "thoughts" which have no shape or form, but are more like essences of meaning, understanding, and concept.

I tend to not remember words or things I hear at all really.

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

ENTP: yes
    INTP: no.

Heh.

Yes, my memory consists of amorphous blobs of play-doh.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Depends.
    There are some things i really do remember word-to-word, and not only that, i also remember the whole "movie".
    On the other hand i may forget people and the simplest things. there was a thread a while back where NTs discussed how they often forget people they have been talking to or forget their names etc.

And, btw, i also think more in abstract pictures and "concepts". perhaps i'm turning to an INTP?

MBTI
    INTP

I remember everything I heard, no matter how long ago, as if it had happened yesterday. Too bad I actually don't even remember anything from today...

The reason I ask is that I have met three entps who can do this-it may be that they were focusing on the content at that moment thus it stuck.

I cant remember what I said five minutes ago let alone months ago. A bit like Evan-I remember "tones" of what was meant but not the actual content.

This drives the three entps inasanse when they interact with the rest of us, as we forget what was decided then proceeed to have to have a long drawn out conversation to redecide what we already decided.

(Sorry entjs!! I really do love you guys, but my poll skills seem to be lacking)

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I tend to remember the idea of the conversation. The reason and the subject. But literal words and sentences? Why would I bother remembering that. Unless it's a really cool constructed sentence, or like a wicked method of wordplay or sorts, then I often do remember.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5 sp/sx

If you concentrate enough, anyone could do it. I don't tend to focus much when people talk, especially with verbal instructions, I've gotten into a lot of trouble for not paying attention to such things :\

But I can remember some things when I find them interesting, just about word for word, though word for word is kind of ridiculous surely. I thought INTPs would be better at this really, the introverts focus more right?? well, I've known ISTPs to be really good with memory of all kinds. And also, sleep can seriously affect this. I'm goin for a run lol.
    5 3 9

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    But literal words and sentences? Why would I bother remembering that.
    Well, it's not like I "bother" doing that either. It just happens naturally, without any effort.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Monster View Post
    The reason I ask is that I have met three entps who can do this-it may be that they were focusing on the content at that moment thus it stuck.
    Kind of makes sense, when you think about it that way that "what was being said" is actually external and ENTPs are more focused on the outside... Ok, I just lost what I wanted to say, even though I did have a good insight. Darn. Happens so often

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I tend to remember the idea of the conversation. The reason and the subject. But literal words and sentences? Why would I bother remembering that.
    That's the thing - I have never "done" anything to remember something word-to-word, I just remember. Vividly. As I said - if I do remember, I remember the whole "movie", i.e. not only words, but also the tone of the voice, what the person did, how he looked like, what was his emotion, where he said that, how was the light like in the room etc etc etc.

If I'm trying to remember something exactly, I use mnemotechniques as well sometimes, when needed, but that's a totally different story then. If I use some kind of techniques, I'm actually sort of half-consciously re-producing what was being said, done or smth from the connections I had made. If I "just" remember, I don't have to do anything to get the memory back. It's much faster and, also, I'm much more certain of the memory, there is just no doubt at all.

Now I'm thinking what ARE the things I remember so well... I'll let you know