• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Power of the mind

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
What makes the human brain powerful? Do believe in mind over matter?
How powerful would you say your mind is?
Do you believe those books that said unleash the giant within, that our mind has vast amount of power that is still untapped?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
What do you mean powerful... ?

I think the mind has untold potential but I would not call that power...

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
The Mind is a fantastic thing but its only way to interact with the outside world/reality/real life/whatever is through the body therefor to have the healthiest mind an extremely healthy body is needed.

Asterion

Ruler of the Stars
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's like our vocal chords, controlled by our brains we create rather specific frequencies, enough so that we can send information to one another. We don't even need to think to do this, but it's all done up in the brain. Think about how long it takes us to learn to talk, it's not even focused learning and we'd begin to pick it up after 6 years. If you really push your mind, and focus that learning, you can pick up on things that are just seemingly impossible to do, there are some instrumentalists alive who have done just that, they've filled their minds up with intricate information, and then execute it. That seems kind of powerful to me, especially combined with the ability to use tools and think creatively.

My brain is certainly not any more powerful than anyone else's, I've been trying to learn to solve physics problems mentally (lol, after I heard that it's quite possible), and it turns out to be quite possible. The more you focus your mind though, the more 'powerful' it becomes, and more often than not, I've left my mind a little bit scattered and fuzzy, it's taking energy to crunch through that and achieve some sort of mental clarity.

I guess it's possible that some information can be programmed into the remaining parts of our brains, but it might just be the other way around, like the appendix, we don't actually need it anymore, it's just a byproduct of our evolution. Maybe long ago we adjusted to reacting to a certain situation in a certain way, and it became somewhat of an instinct. I don't know, I think a lot of that information is more likely to be found in DNA than those bits of the brain.

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
Yeah, the mind can be powerful, I've learned you don't have to listen to people that tell you things like you have to choose between goals, intellect or talents and having a life.

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
Power is relative. I can't really comment on the power of our minds, unless it is in relation to the power of other things, or describing specific events which result from the existence of the mind and that mind's "power." As far as a measurement of the power of my mind, again, it is relative (as is all measurement). There is really no good way for me to answer this question.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
do you equate the mind to a brain? Because psychologists have not made the connection yet. And the collective unconscious suggests otherwise, 100th monkey effect too...

luminous beam

♪♫♪♫♪♫
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
my brain has omniscient power muahahahahaha!

Prototype

THREADKILLER
MBTI Type
Why?
What makes the human brain powerful?...

It's ability to design, build, and maintain a body in order for it to stay mobile and protected from the outside elements. ;)

... Do you believe those books that said unleash the giant within, that our mind has vast amount of power that is still untapped?

That depends on who wrote those books, and how they're teaching you those secrets!

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
do you equate the mind to a brain? Because psychologists have not made the connection yet. And the collective unconscious suggests otherwise, 100th monkey effect too...

Brain:
When people smoke marijuana, the THC (which is classified as a cannabinoid chemical) activiates the cannabinoid receptors, which are normally activated by another cannabinoid chemical known as anandamide. The interactions between the cannabinoid receptors and anandamide are neccessary for the proper funcion of the hippocampus (which controls short term memory). However, the presence of THC interrupts this process, which can cause abnormalities within the hippocampus.

Mind:
Most people who smoke marijuana note a loss of short term memory.

These facts may be used to show a connection between the physical structure of the brain and the workings of the "mind." Why a psychologist needs to make the connection is beyond me, just smoke some ganja and you'll understand.

Wikipedia said:
The hundredth-monkey effect is a supposed phenomenon in which a learned behaviour spreads instantaneously from one group of monkeys to all related monkeys once a critical number is reached. By generalisation it means the instantaneous, paranormal spreading of an idea or ability to the remainder of a population once a certain portion of that population has heard of the new idea or learned the new ability. The story behind this supposed phenomenon originated with Lawrence Blair and Lyall Watson, who claimed that it was the observation of Japanese scientists. One of the primary factors in the promulgation of the myth is that many authors quote secondary, tertiary or post-tertiary sources who have themselves misrepresented the original observations.

T

ThatGirl

Yes I believe in mind over matter, because I use it ALL the time.

Ezion

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Were it not for the replies, I'd be tempted to think the OP was asking the question in jest.

The mind is a result of your brain and body. We can only percieve it from an abstract perspective, as it is an arbitrary (albiet convenient) distinction we have created.

It is not separate from your brain/body by any means. And your body does not have infinite energy, despite what poplular children's shows would have you believe.

That answer your question, OP?

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
INTJ123, I noticed one of your quotes had your name spelled ISTJ123 XP

Jaguar

INTJ123, I noticed one of your quotes had your name spelled ISTJ123 XP

ISTJs don't wear tinfoil hats or show videos of rotting rice.

You are stalking me arn't you? you and jaguar just LOVE me.

copyofshutup3ck.jpg

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
me too. Seriously.. actually I don't even need to focus all that much anymore.

Yeah pretty much.

Every time I quote you I have to mess with your username now. It's just too entertaining. :D