User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yeah, so far it looks like - on the whole - NT's are definitely favoring physical touch. In the NF thread, it looks like they enjoy physical touch as well - along with quality time and/or words of affirmation.

For me, physical touch is a means of quality time. I love great conversations with my partner - perhaps above anything else - but after the conversation is over I want you to be independent and I also want to be independent. Physical touch is cool not only because it's physical touch, but also because there does not necessarily have to be dialogue. Someone in the NF thread mentioned just sitting on the couch together - maybe watching a movie. That allows for intimacy and it's also a great way of communicating nonverbally, but it also allows for low energy (even if its intense - like at the beginning of a new relationship where the intensity of everything is heightened), relaxing time together. Great for the introverts! Much more relaxing than going to the local amusement park together.

MBTI
    ENTP

1 quality time
    2 acts of service
    3 gifts (although I consider acts of service in the gift realm so combined they maybe #1 over quality time)
    4 physical touch (I want a lot from the ones I love, but not anyone else ever)
    5 affirmation

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Yeah, so far it looks like - on the whole - NT's are definitely favoring physical touch. In the NF thread, it looks like they enjoy physical touch as well - along with quality time and/or words of affirmation.

For me, physical touch is a means of quality time. I love great conversations with my partner - perhaps above anything else - but after the conversation is over I want you to be independent and I also want to be independent. Physical touch is cool not only because it's physical touch, but also because there does not necessarily have to be dialogue. Someone in the NF thread mentioned just sitting on the couch together - maybe watching a movie. That allows for intimacy and it's also a great way of communicating nonverbally, but it also allows for low energy (even if its intense), relaxing time together. Great for the introverts!

Couple of really interesting things, NT's are not the most sociable capable of types (possibly becayuse society is infinately more S - but I veer)... I wonder if they lean on physical touch to support and enhance their communication. (not saying NTs are bad communicators most of the ones I know don't shut up if they are on a roll even the I's).... Also I wonder how many are reading physical as being sexual...

On the sitting watching TV point as a togetherness, some people see this as a waiste of time but I think thier is a sharing of experiences... and to a avery minor extent a collective consiousness type connection.

I thought you point about independance is interesting... is the physcal contact of the NT only for short time frames but wouldn't like to hold hands out all the time....

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Couple of really interesting things, NT's are not the most sociable capable of types (possibly becayuse society is infinately more S - but I veer)... I wonder if they lean on physical touch to support and enhance their communication. (not saying NTs are bad communicators most of the ones I know don't shut up if they are on a roll even the I's).... Also I wonder how many are reading physical as being sexual...

On the sitting watching TV point as a togetherness, some people see this as a waiste of time but I think thier is a sharing of experiences... and to a avery minor extent a collective consiousness type connection.

I thought you point about independance is interesting... is the physcal contact of the NT only for short time frames but wouldn't like to hold hands out all the time....
    Physical touch does NOT only mean sexual touch. 90% of it for me is non-sexual. Of course, that other 10% is a beautiful thing - but, for this thread we're talking about affection.

As for physical touch in short bursts, I didn't mean to sound like once I'm done I want you out of my face. There's obviously more to relationships than just sitting around cuddling. There needs to be "normal communications" and other things going on for sure. If I'm into someone, I actually like lots of physical touch - not just shorts bursts. But, I also don't want to feel smothered. There are times, in public, where a girlfriend may be holding onto my arm or otherwise being affectionate and that's always welcome - where I get irritated is when it feels smothering. Examples would be if someone is putting their weight on me (literal body weight) - like they're being lazy and I'm having to hold them up. I've had g/f's who do that. What's up with that? Or if we're with company and I'm in a discussion with someone and they're requiring more attention as if they want me to stop my discussion. "We have all night, dear! Let me finish my conversation and THEN you can tug on my nipples."

So, I suppose it's always welcome as long as you're giving me space (i.e. the choice) to stop holding your hand and interact with other people/things when I need to/choose to. Be classy, not clingy.

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

Physical touch does NOT only mean sexual touch. 90% of it for me is non-sexual. Of course, that other 10% is a beautiful thing - but, for this thread we're talking about affection.
    You're thinking about handjobs too ? Or is that sexual already, ignore me I am confused
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP

As for physical touch in short bursts, I didn't mean to sound like once I'm done I want you out of my face. There's obviously more to relationships than just sitting around cuddling. There needs to be "normal communications" and other things going on for sure. If I'm into someone, I actually like lots of physical touch - not just shorts bursts. But, I also don't want to feel smothered. There are times, in public, where a girlfriend may be holding onto my arm or otherwise being affectionate and that's always welcome - where I get irritated is when it feels smothering. Examples would be if someone is putting their weight on me (literal body weight) - like they're being lazy and I'm having to hold them up. I've had g/f's who do that. What's up with that? Or if we're with company and I'm in a discussion with someone and they're requiring more attention as if they want me to stop my discussion. "We have all night, dear! Let me finish my conversation and THEN you can tug on my nipples."

I didn't think you meant sex... but I wans't sure how much others were differenciating sex and huging, hand holding etc...

I wonder if NT's have a different balance of tollerance towards Space to Physical touch time.. I totally get what you are saying about body weight (annoying to be on the receiving end of that - I wont go into further details..) but also the balance between hand holding and contact etc...

I think NT's might have a stronger line of where space is invaded..

Good topic...

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

well Pness holding in public is gross but I dont tend to feel invaded at all no
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    well Pness holding in public is gross but I dont tend to feel invaded at all no
    :rolli::eek:

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE

Thumbs up

For me, physical touch is a means of quality time. I love great conversations with my partner - perhaps above anything else - but after the conversation is over I want you to be independent and I also want to be independent. Physical touch is cool not only because it's physical touch, but also because there does not necessarily have to be dialogue. Someone in the NF thread mentioned just sitting on the couch together - maybe watching a movie. That allows for intimacy and it's also a great way of communicating nonverbally, but it also allows for low energy (even if its intense - like at the beginning of a new relationship where the intensity of everything is heightened), relaxing time together. Great for the introverts! Much more relaxing than going to the local amusement park together.
    Yeah. Actions speak louder than words.

The way I also see it is like holding hands says more then buying each other BMWs. Hugging and kissing says more then saying "I love you." Play wrestling with each other is a lot more romantic, affectionate and expressive then a expensive dinner at a fancy restaurant. I think you know where I'm going with this...

That's how I feel about it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    Yeah. Actions speak louder than words.

The way I also see it is like holding hands says more then buying each other BMWs. Hugging and kissing says more then saying "I love you." Play wrestling with each other is a lot more romantic, affectionate and expressive then a expensive dinner at a fancy restaurant. I think you know where I'm going with this...

That's how I feel about it.
    I know exactly where you're going with that and I agree 100%. I have to be careful about whether you are male or female when I say this, but either way I'd mud wrestle you for a BMW any day of the week.