123 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Default Fe and Fi, the NT version

I'm having difficulty understanding what Fi is, and every time Fi vs. Fe is discussed in the NF forum, the distinctions get messy because they take every attempt at definition as personal attack (and in many cases, they are personal attacks).

So, For ENTP/INTP/ENTJ/INTJ, what do Fi and Fe actually do? How would I more easily recognize these functions in NTs in every day life?

Would Fi mean you care that Woody Allen married his daughter? Or would Fe care about that? Or would they care for different reasons? (Fe because it's considered destructive to society? Fi because ...? I don't know what Fi is so I don't know how to finish that, and I'm not certain I got Fe right, but I tried to imagine why I might care about that, and that was what I came up with. I don't care, by the way.)

So anyway ... a little help?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Yeah, I don't know what Fi is either. I'd like to hear more myself.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

I'm curious as well...maybe Fi would be you remembering when a creepy old man asked you to marry him and projecting that onto the situation?

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Oh oh, along those lines, perhaps refusing to live in a place because you had a bad experience there once?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Here's what I've seen.

INTP, inferior Fe:

1. A sudden need for emotional support under extreme stress.
    2. Building frustration finally erupting in a virulent personal attack.
    3. A tendency to assume that other people's personal opinions/rules of etiquette are meant to eliminate/devalue independent thought.

ENTP, tertiary Fe:

1. An attempt to use charm to get out of trouble.
    2. Concern with how others are seeing them (I know THAT one all too well).
    3. A fondness for eliciting shock or strong reactions in people. Possibly a tendency to be a clown/comedian.

ENTJ, inferior Fi:

1. Stressed insistence that their way is right, even when it's been shown impractical.
    2. A tendency to expect everyone to be self-motivated.
    3. Tending to orient their logic in terms of what they personally want to achieve.

INTJ, tertiary Fi:

1. Emotional breakdown. Withdraws into self and dwells on the emotion until it's resolved, even at the expense of external goals.
    2. Personal integrity. Will refuse to do anything that goes against their personal code of ethics, even if it benefits them (and insistence on going along with it even if it hurts them). May withdrawn from others or push them away without admitting the reason if more important parts of this code are not shared by these others.
    3. Faith. A tendency to have faith in the rationality and good intentions of others until given reason to suspect otherwise.

Those are my guesses, anyway...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

So Fi-users freely allow past emotional experiences to color their present situations?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    So Fi-users freely allow past emotional experiences to color their present situations?
    Well, FPs (especially NFPs) do. TJs try to resist it (and are somewhat successful in keeping their focus on the present/future), but it still happens when their Fi comes out strongly. This can happen with SFJs, too, though (it's more Si-driven than Fi-driven in those cases, but the result is often the same).

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    Well, FPs do. TJs try to resist it (and are somewhat successful in keeping their focus on the present/future), but it still happens when their Fi comes out strongly. This can happen with SFJs, too, though.

Behavior that has had me puzzled is suddenly making sense to me now.

I'd help, but I'm still not positive anything about MBTi or functions makes any sense. As far as I know, I might just be an ENTP floating an idea to understand it. Or ENTPs might not even exist, except as a concept.

My best idea so far of Xe vs Xi is internal vs external judgments (Cognitive functions are concerned with information flow in the brain, not behaviour. Though if we define them by function tests, there is the question of whether they are the set of behavioural traits chosen, or a set cognitive processes that causes this set of traits.) On the internal vs external, I believe Fe or Te makes the judgments on the external situation directly, whereas Fi or Ti makes the judgments on the internal stuff (knowledge, etc.) and can stay detached from the external world. In the same way Ne and Se perceive the situation strongly and rely a lot on information from the situation, whereas Ni and Si can look at things detached from the external situation.

This is all a lot of guessing and throwing out ideas of what the basis might be, but from there you can work up and get an idea of what traits it might cause a person to exhibit.

T vs F seems to be a divide that doesn't make complete sense to me either, but it needs to be defined here. If we go by some definitions, a feeler makes their decisions from their emotions and values, and thinkers make their decisions from practical objective criteria. This is obviously not true for types in a general sense, because we have more than two functions to use, but applying it to a function doesn't seem too bad. So I'd guess Fe would cause you to make judgments from your emotions and values on the present situation. ie. to keep harmony, support people, hold something back so you won't hurt someone, be empathetic, make things friendly, take criticism emotionally sometimes. Most ENTPs I've met do these things. They definitely aren't an F type, but they do them well.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

Riva

gosh i was gonna start a thread like this today. what a coincidence.
    carry on guys i am all ears.