First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by BlahBlahNounBlah View Post
    So Fi-users freely allow past emotional experiences to color their present situations?
    I thought that everyone did this?

You mean you're telling me that your previous experiences with someone and the emotional impression that they left on you doesn't effect you at all every time you interact with them?
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Oh oh, along those lines, perhaps refusing to live in a place because you had a bad experience there once?
    This one and the one Black Cat quoted sound as if they involve at least some Si. Fi would look different when influenced by Intuitive input, right?
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    I thought that everyone did this?

You mean you're telling me that your previous experiences with someone and the emotional impression that they left on you doesn't effect you at all every time you interact with them?

Not particularly. I have difficulty remembering people. But I generally think that what was in the past is in the past and it's over. I might remember that someone made me mad, but I remember it almost like it happened in a book or to someone else.

I'm sure everyone has some emotional residue because it comes along with being human, but for me, using that as a valid justification for a decision seems illogical. Even if I make a decision that way, it's still logically invalid.

(However I'm an N, so I obviously recognize behavioral patterns.)

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm sure everyone has some emotional residue because it comes along with being human, but for me, using that as a valid justification for a decision seems illogical. Even if I make a decision that way, it's still logically invalid.
    In some situations it is. It depends on the situation and decision being made. But I generally agree, I can see why T types have shit against feelers who do this sort of thing, hell I do too. I can't understand how anything constructive can come out of making a purely emotionally based decision.

In my opinion if it's something based around your relationships with people, go for it, making decisions based on emotions, because IMO the emotions are a huge part of a relationship with someone (I'm using the term broadly, it can mean any relation with someone). And I say this meaning decisions within reason. But anything else I would say it's illogical.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

I have a friend who has avoided dating certain people because some quality (a lot of the time superficial) reminded her of past disastrous relationships. I could never understand this about her. Is that sort of what we're talking about here? Or is that more Si-Fi again?

She will also do things like refuse to let anyone even mention things she doesn't like. For instance, she has a universal dislike for snakes, and doesn't like it when we even mention snakes in conversation with her. At first I thought she was exaggerating for effect, but she got angry when we kept talking about it anyway. Is that sort of like Fi?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    INTP

I'm having difficulty understanding what Fi is, and every time Fi vs. Fe is discussed in the NF forum, the distinctions get messy because they take every attempt at definition as personal attack (and in many cases, they are personal attacks).

So, For ENTP/INTP/ENTJ/INTJ, what do Fi and Fe actually do? How would I more easily recognize these functions in NTs in every day life?

Would Fi mean you care that Woody Allen married his daughter? Or would Fe care about that? Or would they care for different reasons? (Fe because it's considered destructive to society? Fi because ...? I don't know what Fi is so I don't know how to finish that, and I'm not certain I got Fe right, but I tried to imagine why I might care about that, and that was what I came up with. I don't care, by the way.)

So anyway ... a little help?
    Good questions
    Introverted judgement reflects within. Extraverted judgement reflects without = in the field.

I understand these people are adults. They are not related.
    They are related in the field.
    The field surrounds the thing. It is not in the center of the thing.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

She will also do things like refuse to let anyone even mention things she doesn't like. For instance, she has a universal dislike for snakes, and doesn't like it when we even mention snakes in conversation with her. At first I thought she was exaggerating for effect, but she got angry when we kept talking about it anyway. Is that sort of like Fi?

I know someone who does this too! I'm not sure, but I think she's INFP. The things that bother her are benign and easily avoidable, so I don't have a problem with not mentioning them. But then part of me thinks, if they're so benign, why bother asking people not to talk about them? But I guess they matter to her?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I'm not so sure that's Fi. I have a similar thing, where I get mad if someone starts talking about a person I really hate. I'll go "Don't even mention that name around me! Do you know what they did to me? Well, let me tell you..." There's a chance I might go on a tirade about everything I hate about that person at that point. They usually don't mention the person again after that.

I usually don't get disgusted by things so much, though it can grate on my nerves if people continually talk about sex, bodily humor, and other gross/crude things. Once or twice isn't a big deal, but if they keep at it, it can get old fast. It's because I'm annoyed by the inappropriate behavior and accompanying attitude rather than actual disgust, though. I don't feel a visceral response in my gut or anything.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm not so sure that's Fi. I have a similar thing, where I get mad if someone starts talking about a person I really hate. I'll go "Don't even mention that name around me!" Of course, there's a chance I might go on a tirade about everything I hate about that person at that point. They usually don't mention the person again after that.

What I'm thinking of is more abstract, like: "This person I hate loves clowns, so don't talk about clowns."

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by Athenian200 View Post
    I'm not so sure that's Fi. I have a similar thing, where I get mad if someone starts talking about a person I really hate. I'll go "Don't even mention that name around me!" Of course, there's a chance I might go on a tirade about everything I hate about that person at that point. They usually don't mention the person again after that.

I usually don't get disgusted by things so much, though it can grate on my nerves if people continually talk about sex, bodily humor, and other gross things. Once or twice isn't a big deal, but if they keep at it, it can get old fast. It's because I'm annoyed by the inappropriate behavior and accompanying attitude than actual disgust, though. I don't feel a negative visceral response in my gut or or anything.
    I know someone who does this too! I'm not sure, but I think she's INFP. The things that bother her are benign and easily avoidable, so I don't have a problem with not mentioning them. But then part of me thinks, if they're so benign, why bother asking people not to talk about them? But I guess they matter to her?
    Hmmm...yeah, she gets mad over stuff that's not really a big deal either way, so I usually go along with it too. She also gets mad about gross or scary things, too, like you were saying Athenian. For instance she'll get angry if I don't stop talking about intestinal parasites. I guess it's not Fi then, even though I, too, think she's INFP.

Why is it so hard to identify functions at work?
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness