• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Other] What do you think will happen to the world 50 years from now?

Gewitter27

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Nuclear fusion is harnessed, allowing limitless, clean energy.

Virtual sex will be created, making Introverts go extinct.

INTPness

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The return of Christ. Everything else will be proven trivial.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
European Union and the US will be the two greatest super powers with the US declining steadilly.

Religon will be far less popular in the western world but eastern religions will remain relatively unaffected.

Nuclear energy will be the main energy source.

Room temperature Superconducters will cause an extremely advanced international rail system to emerge.

Car will be lighter quieter and more energy effecient but still earth bound.

A far higher percentage of produce will be made through computer run proccesses.

Animus

MBTI Type
INTP
European Union and the US will be the two greatest super powers with the US declining steadilly.

It would be more like the European Union and the newly formed North American Union.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You mean the North United States of Canadia ? :D

Saslou

MBTI Type
ESFJ
I hope there will some kind of software (thinking the matrix) where i will be able to upload the data to my mind on how to work some electronic equipment. Or I'll just find a bloke. lol. I'll be dead by then anyway. What do i care.

YouTube - Playstation 9 ( HD VIDEO ) & STEREO SOUND

Like the idea of the technological advances regarding this .. On the negative side though, ohhh that could turn into some nasty shite.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Software will become extremely advanced and eventually become self-evolving intelligence

Just wanted to say one thing about this. Technically, one can not program a program to be more intelligent then it was programmed. It's not quantifiable. Nor does evolving programs have practical applications. I personally think software is, and will always remain, a tool. And not independant of their wielders.

human beings will start to have superpowers

What? :p

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
Basically someone with money will be able to indefinitely prolong his/her life by recycling him/herself due to advancements in genetics and nanotechnology.

yenom

Alexander the Terrible
Software will become extremely advanced and eventually become self-evolving intelligence

Just wanted to say one thing about this. Technically, one can not program a program to be more intelligent then it was programmed. It's not quantifiable. Nor does evolving programs have practical applications. I personally think software is, and will always remain, a tool. And not independant of their wielders.

human beings will start to have superpowers

What? :p

uh, no, scientists are creating AI and self-sentient programs that can solve complex problems. Eventually, artifical intelligence will become way smarter and more powerful than us. That is the inevitability of history.

As for superpowers, once human start to use ehancements to boost their strength, the age of normal humans is dead.

CJ99

Is Willard in Footloose!!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Basically someone with money will be able to indefinitely prolong his/her life by recycling him/herself due to advancements in genetics and nanotechnology.

You ever read "Altered Carbon"?

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
- some newspapers will go to organic film
- losses due to identity theft continue to rise
- understanding of gravity and spacetime improve to the point of experiments in basic application (nothing viably useful yet, though)
- a list of possibly habitable globes in the local cluster is long enough to encourage more serious contemplation of FTL research
- China will be the worlds largest producer of He3
- the first person to walk on Mars will speak Mandarin

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I'm going to list this in a way which's based on actual historical evidence:

- Most of the things we forsee happening en masse, will not occur
- A startling breakthrough of some sort will completely revolutionize the way we see something
- The breakthrough will add a completely new market which didn't even exist today
- By the end of 50 years from now, the new market will have taken full hold and we will wonder how we lived without it
- The world will be nothing like we imagined

Basis in past: the breakthrough of the microprocessor. By the creation of this, home computers became a new market which didn't even exist previously. In under 50 years, it became a standard part of life.

Previously, assembly lines were another breakthrough, whot used to take specialized labour years of effort, could instead be converted into cheaply trained labour to mass produce large amounts of complex things in a short time, revolutionizing the production rates and dropping the costs of manufacturing for the regular people to use.

The breakthrough of indoor lighting allowing people to make use of the night hours constructively. The breakthrough of farm machinery allowing people to branch off into other areas of study for their professions.

Every decade or two a new massive breakthrough occurs which changes everything, and there's no way to know whot that breakthrough would've been until after it occured, nor how it would impact the world.

As such, I'm a bit more vague in my vision of the future than most. I don't neccesarily see us backing up our brains on computers, robotic servants, or flying cars. However, I do know that *SOMETHING* in the next decade will occur, something so massive and groundbreaking that we cannot even imagine it's rammifications at this point in time. And within 50 years from now, that 'something' will have taken root and hold in our civilization so deeply that our entire culture will have changed due to it.

For now, there's a few things that I can think of that would classify as this 'breakthrough' to come about... but the most likely one, is one which only happened recently; the ability to transform fat cells into behaving like stem cells. With stem cell research being able to make use of this new breakthrough, and being able to use these fat cells productively in a fraction of the time that would normally be required for traditional stem cell useage... chances are 50 years from now, diseases and injuries that we consider 100% untreatable, will be easily repaired. Our lifespans may very well exceed 200 years, though we wouldn't see such results immediately.

Spinal cord injuries will likely be able to be repaired in less time than it takes to heal a broken leg, rather than take years of therapy for minor benefits. Blindness and other untreatable damage will likely also be able to be repaired.

And we'll have things like the integration of the brain into a machine, at least in part.

Cybernetic enhancements which can amplify the body's natural abilities rather than mock-attempts to emulate them.

There's alot of things which could very well occur, but it's hard to tell without seeing all the breakthroughs. Anything that happens that's major in the next 10 years could completely change our world 50 years from now, and I can't see which breakthroughs will happen in the next 10 years, so I literally can't accurately predict ^.^