First 1234 Last

Thread: In praise of Ps

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

Da Vinci had the luxury of having patrons...Most of us modern day P's have to work.

I do a pretty good job of hiding my Pness in the working world. I'm a project manager so it's all about details, tracking time and deadlines. Organization and time management are all things that I learned as an undergrad and graduate student. There's nothing like going to school full time, working 2-3 jobs, and juggling extra curricular activities to make you learn some cat wrangling skills,and I don't mean to brag but my Pness is quite large so it's definitely not something that comes easily to me.

I'm out of work at the moment so being able to have fun with my Pness has been great after several years of enforced Jdom.

Anyone else wish we could go back to the days of patrons and sponsors?

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Very much so..*sighs*

Although..I sorta have one, but I'd enjoy being able to be ok with that and not feel guilty about it...
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Absolutely inspirational post. I sometimes feel very guilty about not 'doing' anything. Not achieving, not completing things, not adhering to a schedule and it actually throws me off. But I'm at my best when I don't worry about such things and just go with my gut. Oddly, I don't feel that what comes forth from that, is actually an achievement. It's..just normal for me, nothing special, or something to be proud of. And maybe that is not the way to look at it. You've given me food for thought.

Thank you.

Any chance you can give us the title of the book?
    Don't worry about "achievements". The book is great so far. It's an older book (the author is deceased) - originally written in 1938 I believe, but I'm loving it. It's called "If You Want to Write" by Brenda Ueland. Check it out!!! It won't disappoint!!! She's either INTP or INFP from my estim...guestimation.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Here's a good quote from the above mentioned book that I'll share:

Publisher: Graywolf Press, 1987 (original in 1938 by G.P. Putnams' Sons)

From page 32:
    So you see the imagination needs moodling,-long, inefficient, happy idling, dawdling and puttering. These people who are always briskly doing something and as busy as waltzing mice, they have little, sharp, staccato ideas, such as: "I see where I can make an annual cut of $3.47 in my meat budget." But they have no slow, big ideas. And the fewer consoling, noble, shining, free, jovial, magnanimous ideas that come, the more nervously and desperately they rush and run from office to office and up and downstairs, thinking by action at last to make life have some warmth and meaning.

Page 32-34
    If you write, good ideas must come welling up into you so that you have something to write. If good ideas do not come at once, or for a long time, do not be troubled at all. Wait for them. Put down the little ideas however insignificant they are. But do not feel, any more, guilty about idleness and solitude.

But of course I must say this:

If your idleness is a complete slump, that is, indecision, fretting, worry, or due to over-feeding and physical mugginess, that is bad, terrible and utterly sterile. Or if it is that idleness which so many people substitute for creative idleness, such as gently feeding into their minds all sorts of printed bilge like detective stories and newspapers, that is too bad and utterly uncreative.

But if it is the dreamy idleness that children have, an idleness when you walk alone for a long, long time, or take a long, dreamy time dressing, or lie in bed at night and thoughts come and go, or dig in a garden, or drive a car for many hours alone, or play the piano, or sew, or paint alone; or an idleness-and this is what I want you to do-where you sit with pencil and paper or before a typewriter quietly putting down what you happen to be thinking, that is creative idleness. With all my heart I tell you and reassure you: at such times you are being slowly filled and re-charged with warm imagination, with wonderful, living thoughts.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I must say, all this talk about the Pness is cracking me up.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by SerengetiBetty View Post
    Da Vinci had the luxury of having patrons...Most of us modern day P's have to work.

I do a pretty good job of hiding my Pness in the working world. I'm a project manager so it's all about details, tracking time and deadlines. Organization and time management are all things that I learned as an undergrad and graduate student. There's nothing like going to school full time, working 2-3 jobs, and juggling extra curricular activities to make you learn some cat wrangling skills,and I don't mean to brag but my Pness is quite large so it's definitely not something that comes easily to me.

I'm out of work at the moment so being able to have fun with my Pness has been great after several years of enforced Jdom.

This here is key. I'd love to sit on my ass all day and then pull something brilliant off every once in a while, but I've got to eat. That means more or less consistent performance, at least until I pull something off that gives me plenty of money to last me for a while

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Twixt View Post
    'they tend to turn up late, if at all, earning them a reputation for being unreliable'
    And it's not even true either. Might be of stereotypical ESxP's, but I can tell you I have always been punctual by nature. However, the difference between me and a J is that whilst I'm always on time myself, I don't get all uptight and snarky when other people are late.

The person I know who's the most famous in my social circle for being late is, ironically, the ISTJ. Because you see, whatever he's doing is More Important. Like perhaps, you know, when he absolutely has to have a cup of coffee before he leaves, because that's What He Does before going out, even though he got home late from something else and that didn't leave him time to have a coffee and be on time for the next arrangement.

On a different note - I've combatted my weakness with details by taking up clock making and wood inlaying. Hobbies that require huge amounts of patience, precision and attention to detail. Satisfying though, and you can sell the products of it for quite a bit
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram

I am never late, the world is just too fast
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    This here is key. I'd love to sit on my ass all day and then pull something brilliant off every once in a while, but I've got to eat. That means more or less consistent performance, at least until I pull something off that gives me plenty of money to last me for a while
    HELL YES, THIS SUMS REALITY UP NICELY!

Quote Originally Posted by SerengetiBetty View Post

Your employer can be your sponsor or patron, just don't tell them.

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Don't worry about "achievements". The book is great so far. It's an older book (the author is deceased) - originally written in 1938 I believe, but I'm loving it. It's called "If You Want to Write" by Brenda Ueland. Check it out!!! It won't disappoint!!! She's either INTP or INFP from my estim...guestimation.
    That books been on my list for ages. I'll have to order it.

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    You know, they say the key to pulling something different out is producing a ton of stuff anyway.