User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

... I'm being accused of talking like an assassin. Also what Ragingkatsuki said.

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    When I find myself never letting his calls go to voice mail.
    This. Or, since I usually fall for other introverts, when I actually pick up the phone myself and I am not currently on fire.

Quote Originally Posted by SerengetiBetty View Post
    when he's the first one with whom I want to share my new randomly clever thought, connection or witticism
    This too. Although probably universal and not strictly an NT thing.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

half mystic, half skeksis jenocyde's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTp

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    This. Or, since I usually fall for other introverts, when I actually pick up the phone myself and I am not currently on fire.
    you guys sure are a strange breed...

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by jenocyde View Post
    you guys sure are a strange breed...
    I think I'd pick up the phone if someone was breaking into my house as well.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

...when the person I love has become my favorite piece of furniture.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8sx
    Socionics
    ENTJ

When I realize that the reason that I can't stop thinking about her isn't because I want to destroy her, but because I can't wait to see her again.

When I actually care how she feels, and how what or the way I say something might affect her.

And even when what I say does make her cry, I power through it till we find the light at the end of the tunnel.

MBTI
    ENTP

Because they have flooded my mind and I want to talk to them about every goofy thought I've had since 7am, and that I'm smiling on the inside... (and possibly on the outside too)

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    ...when the person I love has become my favorite piece of furniture.
    I hope you mean in the "I love to cuddle with them" way and not the "I just made them into a lampshade" way
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    ENTP

Maybe he like to lap dance his partners, he is fluffy after all

Aren't you wolfie RAR

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ

In order to decide if one is in love, one must have a clear definition of love. Otherwise, one would not know if a given experience classifies as love, hate, passion, and so on. Yet, in trying to establish a clear and possibly universal definition of love, one will inevitably run into problems, for I don't think such a universal defnition exists. What we're left with, then, is something along the lines expressed in Tolstoy's Anna Karenina, where Anna says, "if there are as many minds as there are men, then there are as many types of love as there are hearts." Thus, it is to be noted that in this vein love is a platonic concept. If love is a platonic concept, and there is no universal definition and clear-cut criterion of love to check off, then each will have his or her own definition, conception, and criterion. Still, in establishing a definition, it is important to take into account that love typically refers to a relationship of some kind. It could be a relationship between humans, as in the case where a man loves a women and the women the man, we can say the two are in love. Alternatively, it could characterize a relationship between humans and objects/abstract ideas, as in this man loves chess or theory. Still more, one could love one's self as is the case for a narcissist. So, I think one can have a rough estimation of love as form, but inevitably the 'stuff' of love--that is, the content--will vary considerably for different humans. Another issue, which makes expounding on love a difficult task, is the issue of finding thoughts that express feelings in a meritable way. Indeed, I know many who can never find the proper words to clearly communicate their feelings, and this causes them frustration at times. I myself have no such problem, for I am not capable of experiencing a feeling that cannot otherwise be effectively expressed through thought. Thus, for me the letter is more important than the spirit, and only when the birth of a thought, "I am in love" surfaces, which clearly denotes the experience (love), will I know that I am in love. Thus, from personal experience I think, and by extension what you may feel, is the following. (1) Love_DEF_the spiritualization of passion(s) (2) In terms of ontology, and to answer the main question of this thread, you know you're in love when the thought "I love X" comes into being.

I anticipate criticism. First, that one can think one's in love and not be. Second, that one can be in love without knowing it. In the former case, there is a good chance one does not have a clear definition of love, and thus their personal definition is not descriptive of their actual experience (perhaps it was not really love they experienced) but all this means is that they lacked a clear definition of love to begin with. In the latter case, which supposes it's possible to be in love and not know it--well I don't know because all I know is thought. So perhaps an NF (or someone else) can explore this as a possibility. I suppose also that this is really at the crux of this thread, as the question you raise is one asking for evidence--signs if you will--that indicate that one is in love. This opens up a range of questions involving definitions, concepts, reasoning, personality, and so forth. But I stick to my fundamental point, that I can only be sure that I am in love when my love has become a conscious thought. Thus, for me knowing I'm in love is a question of ontology. Anything besides that is a muddle, where lines between love, lust, passion, happiness and so on are thin. And I know one thing for sure: that I don't like playing chess on a board where there is not a sharp contrast between the different colored squares. Thus, I have answered the question as straightforward as I'm able, and I'll let the feelers (or whoever) delve into the wishywashy stuff, often a question of conscience rather than logic, which I dare not get into.