User Tag List

123 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 53

  1. #1
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default The world is flat....?

    Hi

    If you go back a few 00 years or so the entire world beleive the world was flat....

    What basic assumptions do you think we live our lives by today that will not be right in a few hundered years (to the point we all look a little foolish).....?

  2. #2
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    The world was not believed to be flat, it's a bad myth.

    It's been easy to prove the world's round for thousands of years, it's not even hard to tell with the concept of the horizon.

    I'm not sure where the myth came from, but rest assured that columbus was NOT afraid of sailing off the 'edge of the world' =3




    That being said, the point still stands. There's LOTS of things we say which look fine today, but with a little misinformation and mythology applied, I'm sure stuff that actually IS accurate today will look silly hundreds of years from now just because of how it's misinformed to them in the future.

  3. #3
    Widdles in your cream.
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5
    Socionics
    LII
    Posts
    577

    Default

    I think they believed that the world was ovular, but not round.

    To answer your question, perhaps 90% of what nutritionists tell us.

  4. #4
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    If we're going to go that path, let's also add in global warming =3

    Considering that the vast majority of information on it is misquoted and butchered beyond recognition >.<

  5. #5
    Senior Member Shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    The world was not believed to be flat, it's a bad myth.

    It's been easy to prove the world's round for thousands of years, it's not even hard to tell with the concept of the horizon.

    I'm not sure where the myth came from, but rest assured that columbus was NOT afraid of sailing off the 'edge of the world' =3




    That being said, the point still stands. There's LOTS of things we say which look fine today, but with a little misinformation and mythology applied, I'm sure stuff that actually IS accurate today will look silly hundreds of years from now just because of how it's misinformed to them in the future.
    There most certainly have been times and civilisations that thought the earth was flat! Admittedly Columbus didn't believe this no. After all he wanted to sail the other way around the world to India.

    Click!

  6. #6
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    What basic assumptions do you think we live our lives by today that will not
    be right in a few hundered years (to the point we all look a little foolish).....?
    Humanism in general. Ineffective and against evolution.
    The very notion that everyone has an equal value? It's absurd.
    Just saying. I'm not rid of humanism's irrational little claws.
    It's one thing to be nice, and another to retard humanity's progress.

    For an instance, those who are against stem cell research and "tampering" with genes...
    They should go and live with the Amish and other fools.

    Another thing directly related to this horrible (:steam and stupid humanism...
    Countries need to start taking responsibility to reduce population growths.
    China is one of the few countries taking this seriously.
    It's either responsible behavior or a future unimaginably catastrophic all-out war that will plunge the entire world into a chaos never before seen.

    Yet another point is that we let the third world develop unhindered.
    Balance needs to be restored, and this is most likely to happen one way or
    another (mass stavation due to lack of food being produced, wars etc) within a couple of lifetimes.
    It is "inhumane", but we need to exploit and oppress the vast majority of
    countries in order to survive as a whole and evolve.
    Not only would it be impossible to have the entire world as middle-class
    without billions of robotic servants... If the entire world became like the
    western world, we would stagnate.
    Need is the mother of all inventions, and also a prerequisite for evolution.
    Without need in the form of power balance... You get the picture, or you don't.
    If you do, congratulations. If you don't, you're just... Well... One of the worker ants.
    May the strongest, smartest and most creative people dominate.
    (OR, someone can create vast legions of androids who can serve us).

    Humanism is the most inhumane, ineffective and cruel system in the long run.
    It's even worse than National Socialism, because humanism is in
    effect trying to destroy our entire civilization, not just one of its peoples.


    __________________________________________________ _____________

    NOTE

    So. I'm really sticking my chin out to all of the stupid people out there.
    I bet I will get many, many comments complaining about me being like Hitler or something like that...
    I don't care for your opinions, period.
    If you do not have anything positive to say, shut the **** up.

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  7. #7
    Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx
    Posts
    9,422

    Default

    There's still plenty of people that believe the world is flat. I used to have a biology teacher that was associated with some movement that believed it as well.

    The same biology teacher also told us that smoking marihuana 30 minutes to an hour prior to a test or examn, you would score much better.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

  8. #8
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    To answer your question, perhaps 90% of what nutritionists tell us.
    Actually Nutritionist can't make it through a decade without contradition.... Look at the diet trends... F plans, 5 a day, super foods, etc etc

    Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    There most certainly have been times and civilisations that thought the earth was flat! Admittedly Columbus didn't believe this no. After all he wanted to sail the other way around the world to India.

    Click!
    I'm with that too, I went to a World is Flat history leacture - it was the funniest thing ever... great speaker....

    There has also been times when it was thought to be oval too but that was intervening years

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    For an instance, those who are against stem cell research and "tampering" with genes...
    They should go and live with the Amish and other fools.
    I'm anti - they can't tell what the side effects are/next generation of side effects. If you are screwing with genes a whole different manner of evaluation needs to be developed - probably measuring multiple generations... screweing with our DNA could go HORRIBLE wrong.
    Last edited by MacGuffin; 09-09-2009 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Merging 3 post(s)

  9. #9
    Courage is immortality Valiant's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE
    Posts
    3,919

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    I'm anti - they can't tell what the side effects are/next generation of side effects. If you are screwing with genes a whole different manner of evaluation needs to be developed - probably measuring multiple generations... screweing with our DNA could go HORRIBLE wrong.
    Congratulations. But that's just... Well. If you never gamble, you never win.
    That's why there is a thing called "experimenting", and also "controlled environment".
    As in: performing experiments in secure testing facilities.
    If the results aren't great... Don't use it.
    If it benefits mankind... YAY.

    Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

  10. #10
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Congratulations. But that's just... Well. If you never gamble, you never win.
    That's why there is a thing called "experimenting", and also "controlled environment".
    As in: performing experiments in secure testing facilities.
    If the results aren't great... Don't use it.
    If it benefits mankind... YAY.
    kind of missing the point, the whole drug trial needs to be tested as the normals controlled environement can't test what isn't directly impacted....

    Would you want to see the accidental increase of genetic disorders...potentially on mass infertility, etc etc... it can cause huge issues....

    It's not like the treatments which have been historically developed, and when side effects have been wider than the research - the treatment is canned.

    Multi generational research should be used for anything that has impact on future DNA, although some of the somatic therapy growing tissues and the likes which are not repoduced are probably ok

Similar Threads

  1. The smartest man in the world is a bar bouncer
    By swordpath in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 54
    Last Post: 03-03-2013, 08:36 PM
  2. The world is pregnant!
    By mysavior in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 10-13-2010, 03:23 PM
  3. Do you think the world is a dangerous place?
    By yenom in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-03-2010, 08:05 PM
  4. The world is...
    By Misty_Mountain_Rose in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 12-04-2008, 10:51 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO