User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Belief in god. Belief in astrology. Belief in the paranormal.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    I'm not sure where the myth came from, but rest assured that columbus was NOT afraid of sailing off the 'edge of the world' =3
    It was invented in the 19th century for literary purposes.

Quote Originally Posted by Qre:us View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but this isn't the 18th century anymore.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I hate to break it to you but belief in god isnt dying any time soon.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by Valuable_Money View Post
    Yeah really. I can't count how many times I've mentioned the rise of academic study into Post-secularism over the past 20-30 years; which basically means serious attention given to belief in God has been increasing.

Sniffles

Continuing on that line of thought, here's a basic outline of what I'm talking about:
    Post-secular Thought

The dismissal and disavowal of God or the notion of the transcendent is a hallmark of modern philosophy. Philosophical discussions of theology were determined by secular assumptions, which resulted in the rejection of God. However, the legacy of this project is now apparent: the creation of a secular world that is not as liberated, knowledgeable and free as it had hoped. Indeed, some scholars see this as the logical consequence of a programme of thought that saw theology debased at the hands of Enlightenment science. But the destruction of theology is no longer certain, according to post-secular thinkers, and the task of this new project is to uncover the underlying theological programmes at work in ‘secular’ modern philosophy.

General Term: Post-secular Thought
    A good example of what's described in the bolded is Michael Allen Gillespie's recent study The Theological Origins of Modernity.

It's almost comical that many of the arguments commonly used against religion are themselves based upon presuppositions that have theological origins. In this particular case, as Gillespie and other have shown, the legacy of late Medieval Nominalism cannot be denied here.

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    Hate to break it to you, but this isn't the 18th century anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Valuable_Money View Post

So predicted such response. But, why do you guys 'hate' to break it to me?

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    Hi

If you go back a few 00 years or so the entire world beleive the world was flat....

What basic assumptions do you think we live our lives by today that will not be right in a few hundered years (to the point we all look a little foolish).....?
    BTW the ancient Greeks knew the world was round and even had a good estimation of the Earth's circumference around 200-300 BC. Perhaps a better example would be the belief that the Sun revolved around the Earth?

Eratosthenes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote Originally Posted by Grungemouse View Post
    I think they believed that the world was ovular, but not round.

To answer your question, perhaps 90% of what nutritionists tell us.
    This is so true! (The contradictions in nutrition is a pet peeve of mine.)

To answer the original question I think a lot of beliefs involving natural sciences and technology will eventually be corrected but these ideas are largely irrelevant. Regardless of how advanced technology gets humans will still face the same types of social problems. For example few societies have ever achieved lasting peace, and the few that have are a worse alternative to warfare. We can invent bigger and more efficient weapons, but nations will never be able to totally resolve their problems without violent conflict. Poverty and social injustice never really go away, they simply take other forms. External problems can be solved with technology, but the problems that occur internally within people can only be solved one person at a time through their own choice.

Even the people who figure out the social answers eventually die and are forgotten. That is why these problems will always keep occurring, and yet they impede "civilization" much more than any technological challenges we might face.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    The world was not believed to be flat, it's a bad myth.

It's been easy to prove the world's round for thousands of years, it's not even hard to tell with the concept of the horizon.

I'm not sure where the myth came from, but rest assured that columbus was NOT afraid of sailing off the 'edge of the world' =3
    I remember reading somewhere that there was an atheist who wanted to make the Catholics look bad, so he wrote a book about it hoping that people would believe badly of them.

Though I can't remember where I read it, so it's possible I might be remembering it incorrectly.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

I know I bang on about this a bit but I think that a lot of our beliefs about body size, will be shown to be wishful idealogies rather than scientific facts.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

So predicted such response. But, why do you guys 'hate' to break it to me?
    Because the only reason you would belive that religion was going to go away any time in future is if you were a certain type of atheist. Not the kind of atheist who is respectable of others beliefs but just doesnt believe in a god, not even the kind of atheist who thinks hes smarter than everyone else. The kind of atheist who basicly has turned atheism into a religion itself, where religion is this evil thing(one could argue it takes the place of the devil) that is to blame for all the wars and wicked things that happen in the world. And of course once we eliminate religion and replace it with SCIENCE! the world will immediatly become a technological utopia void of any kind of hatred or ill will between men. A world where we all live for a gazillioin years (thanks to SCIENCE!) ect. ect ect.

Or mabye Im completely wrong and your a devout muslim.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn