User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    eNTP

Okay.. I hate to be boxed... but I love finding patterns, e.g. "you're a _____, so you must act like_____." (although, it's not always 100% true of course.) I don't find that restricting! Annd, I don't look upwards much. I stare into space and feel extremely uncomfortable when i make eye contact.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always “lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments.” He concluded that “There is more than one way of doing good science.”
    It was Watson’s form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve “the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA.” It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Monster View Post

What is really kinda fun is that you guys HATE to be boxed, fight endlessly to be considered as individuals, yet on the board the second anybody says the slightest negative thing about an ENTP, you guys here bond together to defend the ENTP in questions and attack like tigers. Umm, sort of in a herdlike mentality?

Am I imagining the irony here?

Ah shit, I'll be back in a month.... love you guys.
    i think it depends on what we're defending: if it comes across as a value judgment I'm going to be more likely to debate it than if it's just a statement. For instance, someone saying "SB you're always at least 15 minutes late to every social situation so you must be a moron" is going to get their ass handed to them. Someone saying "SB you're always 15 minutes late so next time I'm going to be 20 minutes late" is just going to get an "I'm glad we have an understanding shrug".

and seriously...you are equating people's behavior on a message board to their real life behavior?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by paintmuffin View Post
    Okay.. I hate to be boxed... but I love finding patterns, e.g. "you're a _____, so you must act like_____." (although, it's not always 100% true of course.) I don't find that restricting! Annd, I don't look upwards much. I stare into space and feel extremely uncomfortable when i make eye contact.
    true it's not restricting in and of itself, but it is when there's a continual shock and surprise expressed when someone doesn't fit squarely into whatever box/stereotype/pattern/ etc they were placed into.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless View Post
    When you meet somebody new like a guy, girl, dog, elephant, whatever...

Do you mentally figure out what "type" they are?

Not directly by asking questions, but like by noticing their behavior, characteristics, belief systems etc.?

Are you usually right?

How can you tell who is who?

(While anybody is welcome to reply, I'm curious on hearing the ENTP perspective on this)

I am constantly trying to type all of the people I meet. In some cases I am lucky enough to get them to take a MBTI, so I can confirm if I am right or not. I'm not always right, but I believe my ability is improving.

I secret I've found out is that some people fit the descriptions almost to a T. These people are extremely easy to type. The tricky ones are those who don't seem to fit any description. You have to take a lot more time getting to know what makes them tick to figure out their type.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I usualy look for SJ SP NT NF in people.
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh? wgah'nagl fhtagn