User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    iLi

Default Do any other NTs(INTPs) act this way?

I enjoy sharing my discoveries/interests, but often I feel as though I bore people with them. I'd rather not annoy anyone with my chatter, in fact I'm self-conscious about it. But often times the urge to share some tidbit of information, some odd detail of an equally odd interest, becomes difficult to contain.
    I go off on tangents usually, often themed, like recently: mountaineering has been my theme. And so I learn about people, techniques, famous climbs, future plans. And I share these ideas with people I know well, and to a lesser extent with others. I feel like the detail I go into might be considered "obsessive", however it doesn't feel so in the least to me. And I become concerned that my talk is oppressive, but honestly I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't share my thoughts. The mere idea is depressing.

After writing this down I'm not sure where its going, or what the topic of discussion is precisely. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it an odd trait for someone of the INTP persuasion?

MBTI
    xxxx

ALL THE TIME...

This is what ???friends are useful for. They make great buddies to share obsessions with.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Yes, definitely. And my closest friends (bless their hearts) don't share in very many of my interests.

Which is why I am on the internet at this very moment.
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Definitely! I'll read some really cool fact and want to share it with someone but then I realize that most people probably don't care. Or I'll mention it to someone and they'll say something like, "Hmm. Cool. So, how have you been?"

There should be a 24-hour hotline where you can call and talk to other people of a similar type about such things.

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    There should be a 24-hour hotline where you can call and talk to other people of a similar type about such things.

Totally!
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    eNTP

story of my INTP dad's life.
    A colleague of the great scientist James Watson remarked that Watson was always lounging around, arguing about problems instead of doing experiments. He concluded that There is more than one way of doing good science.
    It was Watsons form of idleness, the scientist went on to say, that allowed him to solve the greatest of all biological problems: the discovery of the structure of DNA. It's a point worth remembering in a society overly concerned with efficiency.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Hahah... my INTP ex is like that. He goes off on really long tangents about his interests. I feel bad that he doesn't have a good listener to talk to. They're either not interested or really argumentative (when he doesn't want to argue, he just wants to talk). So I've taken it upon myself to listen to his tangents from time to time... It's not really any of my interests either, but I guess that's one of the obligations a "good friend" has to give from time to time. :P But goodness, I hope he finds someone that shares his interests soon.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI

All my friends with whom I had those links with are currently so bogged down in their own troubles now they always bring me down when I run to them excited. It's like I'm sitting on an island of (moderate) success and no one to share my quirks with. It's terrible!!!!

But I'm not an INTP or an NT for that matter so that makes it even harder. Especially when it comes to talking about taking over the world and stuff like that...
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by StephMC939 View Post
    Hahah... my INTP ex is like that. He goes off on really long tangents about his interests. I feel bad that he doesn't have a good listener to talk to. They're either not interested or really argumentative (when he doesn't want to argue, he just wants to talk). So I've taken it upon myself to listen to his tangents from time to time... It's not really any of my interests either, but I guess that's one of the obligations a "good friend" has to give from time to time. :P But goodness, I hope he finds someone that shares his interests soon.
    Has he developed the ability to pace back and forth in the oddest of places all whilst talking to himself?

That ability always helped me.
    If a deaf INFP falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Z View Post
    Has he developed the ability to pace back and forth in the oddest of places all whilst talking to himself?

That ability always helped me.
    No, but I'll definitely suggest it to him. I'm gonna guess he'll just give me a blank stare: ... and then secretly try it some time.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.