• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] Do any other NTs(INTPs) act this way?

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree that it can't be over generalised but I know a hell of a lot of NT's (skewed to men but that goes). NT's go into their head... it's how they work... they don't cry buckets... there is a thread on here (which might be ENTPs - have a look). But NTs are uncomfortable with emotions - quite a few struggle to cry at parents funerals and that type of thing, tears are a BIG thing let along complete emotional meltdowns all the time.

Have you posted it to the NF's and see what they think? I am really, really sure she is an F.....

In fairness to your third paragraph, possibly because she was being treated badly by the other girls who were jelous as hell of her..
Well, if you're talking about mainly men, of course they try to remain composed. They don't have to be an NT to be that way.

No, I don't think she is an NF, and I only posted that as an example of rambling. I analyzed her thoroughly, on and off the show, before coming to my type diagnosis. I could maybe go for INFP, but she would have to be a very atypical one that seems like an INTP and is more concerned with analyzing than idealizing. There is nothing of the idealist in her, quite frankly.

Lol, no one was jealous of her. They all thought she was weird and uber-nerdy, even if some of her photos were good.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, if you're talking about mainly men, of course they try to remain composed. They don't have to be an NT to be that way.

No, I don't think she is an NF, and I only posted that as an example of rambling. I analyzed her thoroughly, on and off the show, before coming to my type diagnosis. I could maybe go for INFP, but she would have to be a very atypical one that seems like an INTP and is more concerned with analyzing than idealizing. There is nothing of the idealist in her, quite frankly.

Lol, no one was jealous of her. They all thought she was weird and uber-nerdy, even if some of her photos were good.

NT men are twice as frequent as women in the UK), so I know a fair few women and a LOT of NT men (3 bros and my dad & mum). My best friend (woman); several former bosses (women)... and a few female friends but LOADs of men... senior management is full of them :)

Ok from me, there is nothing much T like about this women (the empahis on people is just different). NT's value Ingenuity, Autonomy, Calm and Reason).

NFs - Aultrusim, Empathy, Benevolence. She was very emotional, very clingy, she split her cash 50:50 with the other girl - which noone else has done, she allowed the girs to look after when she was drunk (NT's more like to be indepndant).

ANTM contestants I'd say were nT's ( odd possible S)
Elyse Sewell
Yaya DaCosta (is a possibility (or ST)- but a softer one)
Naima Mora (might be an ST)
Christina Murphy (the frosty one - possibly)
Mollie Sue Steenis-Gondi (possibly NT)
Elina Ivanova (NTJ - not sure about your I though)

NT's want people to know they have a brain - Molly sue - particulalr, but also Yaya,Elina and Elyse

Marge = went on a fair bit about her boyriend.

ring the bell

Huh...what's better than an NTP sharing their interests/thoughts? Such amazing things going on in there, I could listen for hours on end even if it's not something I would normally be interested in hearing; the way they explain makes it more intriguing. INTPs tend to make me laugh unintentionally and ENTPs make me laugh intentionally, with their offbeat humor and general observations. I especially like their more philosophical ramblings.

Speaking of ramblings, I strongly suspect Marjorie from America's Next Top Model Cycle 11 is INTP (a little fidgety/nervous, but you get the point):

[YOUTUBE="pD4SsbRkado"]America's Next Top Model Interview - Marjorie[/YOUTUBE]

I could see her as an INTP under stress. I mean, this isn't like we are seeing her true every day self. This is a person who is not used to being in the spotlight doing an interview on camera to be broadcast to the world. I could definitely see some of the nervous energy that I produce in an "on the spot" situation in her mannerisms and rambles.

bluebell

MBTI Type
INTP
Okay, one INTP says it's like them, one says it's not. So 1-1.

I'm less excitable than her for sure but the fast and rambly talking seemed pretty similar. I'm possibly more comfortable with talking to others and doing public speaking, hence I don't get that fidgety when under stress - but I'm quite a bit older than she is.

Julia

MBTI Type
xxxx
I enjoy sharing my discoveries/interests, but often I feel as though I bore people with them. I'd rather not annoy anyone with my chatter, in fact I'm self-conscious about it. But often times the urge to share some tidbit of information, some odd detail of an equally odd interest, becomes difficult to contain.
I go off on tangents usually, often themed, like recently: mountaineering has been my theme. And so I learn about people, techniques, famous climbs, future plans. And I share these ideas with people I know well, and to a lesser extent with others. I feel like the detail I go into might be considered "obsessive", however it doesn't feel so in the least to me. And I become concerned that my talk is oppressive, but honestly I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't share my thoughts. The mere idea is depressing.

After writing this down I'm not sure where its going, or what the topic of discussion is precisely. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it an odd trait for someone of the INTP persuasion?

I'd never thought I was an INTP, I've always believed I was much too emotional (F). But I very easily related to your post. I'm too new to alt this to be able to write something that makes sense probably.

Can someone explain to me which function that urges us to share thoughts? With no regard to type?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
not deliberatly trying to but Lauren, but Julia, I'm pretty sure Marge on the video is an F type...

On the video her movements etc scream of being a super anxious P type...

On the actual programme itself she is very emotional which is isn't on the video...

So you may well be an F type

Sorry Lauren, I'll leave you to beleive she's a T :D:D

Julia

MBTI Type
xxxx
not deliberatly trying to but Lauren, but Julia, I'm pretty sure Marge on the video is an F type...

Sorry, tinkerbell. I wasn't thinking about the video at all. I was only responding to the post I was quoting. (Actually, I haven't seen the video. I couldn't care less about tv and models, no offence.) :blush: But I'm sure it's an interesting example for learning more about the different types, though. I'm not just there yet, I know too little of this stuff at the moment.
:)

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
S'Ok - wasn't paying enough attention... I don't care about models either I watch is as my trash TV, I work in a very heavy area so I need to stiwch off and do so by wattching rather naff TV.... And I don't care how other people judge me ...... although it surprised people

PS - have a look at the video, it's intresting as a "human" subject type thing... I think Lauren is practicing her typing people.....

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
PS - have a look at the video, it's intresting as a "human" subject type thing... I think Lauren is practicing her typing people.....

Psshh...I got this down!

I do think you're being too rigid in your terms of what an NT is, i.e. a cold, cynical, unfeeling unhuman. I've known NTs from the coldest to the warmest. Showing a few human frailties does not mean someone is not a thinking type.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Psshh...I got this down!

I do think you're being too rigid in your terms of what an NT is, i.e. a cold, cynical, unfeeling unhuman. I've known NTs from the coldest to the warmest.

LOL and I think you are totally bias because you've limited her type to NT only..... and no I'm not gonna let that go... I think you should poll the NF's too.... (with less leading)..:D

No I don't see NT's as cold, cynical, unfeeling unhuman... but they are nowhere near as expresive as Marge when on the show....

NT's express differently thats all....

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
LOL and I think you are totally bias because you've limited her type to NT only..... and no I'm not gonna let that go... I think you should poll the NF's too.... (with less leading)..:D

No I don't see NT's as cold, cynical, unfeeling unhuman... but they are nowhere near as expresive as Marge when on the show....

NT's express differently thats all....

Like I said before, I researched her thoroughly before coming to that conclusion. So, no I didn't just say "NT," in fact I never think of temperaments when typing people, really, because the types are so different even with temperaments.

And what does expressiveness have to do with being NT or not? Do not ENTPs express their myriad emotional states, quite openly, very often? If being cold all the time is a criteria for NTness, many people would have to choose another type.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Like I said before, I researched her thoroughly before coming to that conclusion. So, no I didn't just say "NT," in fact I never think of temperaments when typing people, really, because the types are so different even with temperaments.

And what does expressiveness have to do with being NT or not? Do not ENTPs express their myriad of emotional states, quite openly, very often? If being cold all the time is a criteria for NTness, many people would have to choose another type.

That doens't negate bias at all.....

NT's don't express in the same way, ENTP's are pretty expressive, but they don't express in the same way as NFs...

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/20439-entps-how-often-do-you-cry-if-ever-why.html

And I've not said they are cold all the time, thats your interpreation of what you think I'm saying. - you are welcome to go back and re-read my posts but you use the word cold, at no point do I....

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
That doens't negate bias at all.....

NT's don't express in the same way, ENTP's are pretty expressive, but they don't express in the same way as NFs...

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/nt-rationale/20439-entps-how-often-do-you-cry-if-ever-why.html

And I've not said they are cold all the time, thats your interpreation of what you think I'm saying.

How is it bias? Please explain...

Lol, so ENTPs can wave their arms, yell to the moon, throw temper tantrums, but the minute a person sheds a tear they are an F type?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
How is it bias? Please explain...

Lol, so ENTPs can wave their arms, yell to the moon, throw temper tantrums, but the minute a person sheds a tear they are an F type?

Its biase because you are not checking out your basic assumptions with the NF's, I am just findng it closed - you are going to come to a limited conclusion and then liable to generalise from there rather than testing your own assumptions... which is easy enough to do on site....

F types are liable to be more emotional... ENTP's can be total drama queens but they don't cry very easily... read the link....

FYI - if you look at my previous post's at no point do I say NT's are cold... and it's not something I consider NT's to be at all... They are less expressive emotionaly not unemotional. They express stress differently (yes thats a generalisation)....

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
eNTP for Marjorie I can see. Her I/E divide might be very close, but I have to say I don't think I'm as much like that in terms of expressiveness, but I'm very much an heavily expressed introvert.

Her word usage makes me thing more T than F. On the forum, most of us are extremes in our respective tendencies, so it can be normal to think that most fall under this category, when I think it is the opposite really. Most people are probably a bit more balanced.

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Its biase because you are not checking out your basic assumptions with the NF's, I am just findng it closed - you are going to come to a limited conclusion and then liable to generalise from there rather than testing your own assumptions... which is easy enough to do on site....

F types are liable to be more emotional... ENTP's can be total drama queens but they don't cry very easily... read the link....

FYI - if you look at my previous post's at no point do I say NT's are cold... and it's not something I consider NT's to be at all... They are less expressive emotionaly not unemotional. They express stress differently (yes thats a generalisation)....

Are you checking your basic assumptions? I think it's a given that we all bring assumptions to the table when typing; no way out of it. I don't know what my assumptions about NFs are (if I have any, because I don't do temperaments really). I don't have any investment in her type, I just don't agree with your assessment.

But I'm a little bored of this back and forth, we don't have to agree on this. And I was more asking the INTPs what they thought, not everyone else.

eNTP for Marjorie I can see. Her I/E divide might be very close, but I have to say I don't think I'm as much like that in terms of expressiveness, but I'm very much an heavily expressed introvert.

Her word usage makes me thing more T than F. On the forum, most of us are extremes in our respective tendencies, so it can be normal to think that most fall under this category, when I think it is the opposite really. Most people are probably a bit more balanced.

She's not an extravert, for sure. She kept to herself the whole show, except to talk with another IxFx contestant, Analeigh. Most people didn't know her well and the other contestants after the show remarked that she seemed to have a wall up.

What say you?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Are you checking your basic assumptions? I think it's a given that we all bring assumptions to the table when typing; no way out of it. I don't know what my assumptions about NFs are (if I have any, because I don't do temperaments really). I don't have any investment in her type, I just don't agree with your assessment.

But I'm a little bored of this back and forth, you have your opinion, I have mine. And I was more asking the INTPs what they thought, not everyone else.

My basic assumptions are based on professional experience as a researcher... that any peice of research (qual or quant), limits the validity of the answer within the constrains of the research device...

If you go to a bus stop to ask about train timetable, you will get a biase view, the only conclusion you can draw is that bus travelers (ofthe specific route) think of the train timetable....

Hence if you ask and NT if they think Marge is like them - they will tell you what they think is the same or different.

Hence as the NF's if you think she is like them and see the difference, hence testing the premis of one of your basic assumption.

The other assumption, is that the video actually is prepresentative of Marge - and I don't beleive it is enough of a representation to type her (having seen series TV)... in the in house parts of the show you can see more of her basic type (proabably not it all, given it's only TV), so someone who saw her on the show is likely to have more rounded view of her type...

Hence there are two very clear limits to this process.. and the accuracy/validity of your own conclusions because of those limits....

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
What say you?

If she doesn't really like anyone else on the show, it's very understandable she'd avoid them, and people often think NTs "have walls up" simply because they can be unaware as to how they're socially perceived. I'd have to see more though.

There's enough variation within types for me to accept she could be an INTP, one who just channels nervous energy differently. Just that if I were in the same situation, I would be far more reserved, because I hate talking about myself. If the interviewer had asked me about what I thought of the inflationary model of the Big Bang, there's a good chance I can just lose myself and blab away.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
Marjorie seems ENFP to me. But you have to remember that she's a person who's been an outcast most of her life. She's kind of a big ole puppy dog that wants to pounce but has been swatted on the nose with a newspaper everytime she's tried, making her pull back and seem introverted in uncomfortable social situations.

I don't get NT vibes from her at all, and didn't when she was on the show. Plus, if I recall correctly, she and a couple of others threw a big fit about how noooooo one understood them because they were raised in Europe! That's a pretty non-INTP thing to do.