User Tag List

First 567

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILI

I feel like that. We're pretty bizarre to the Sensors, often.
    I 96% N 93% T 75% P 63% 5w4 sp/sx/so ILI
    Ti>Ne>Te>Ni>Si>Fi>Se>Fe
    I'm interested in what you percieve me to be. Johari/Nohari

This thread got way off topic.. I'm curious to hear more insight into the question of the OP.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nizy View Post
    I enjoy sharing my discoveries/interests, but often I feel as though I bore people with them. I'd rather not annoy anyone with my chatter, in fact I'm self-conscious about it. But often times the urge to share some tidbit of information, some odd detail of an equally odd interest, becomes difficult to contain.
    I go off on tangents usually, often themed, like recently: mountaineering has been my theme. And so I learn about people, techniques, famous climbs, future plans. And I share these ideas with people I know well, and to a lesser extent with others. I feel like the detail I go into might be considered "obsessive", however it doesn't feel so in the least to me. And I become concerned that my talk is oppressive, but honestly I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't share my thoughts. The mere idea is depressing.

After writing this down I'm not sure where its going, or what the topic of discussion is precisely. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it an odd trait for someone of the INTP persuasion?
    Yep. I can manage to relate any conversation I'm having back to my current topic of interest.

MBTI
    ISTJ

I have the same thing, e.g. with work. Because i love the work I do I want to share my accomplishments at the end of the week. I am afraid that I bore friend (with less ambitions) with my stories and often I choose not to talk about it all...
    But sometimes I meet people who are very willingly to listen, and then I can't stop, I just love talking about it!

videodrones; questions Verfremdungseffekt's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTp
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Eh?

I'd respond, but I don't want to bore you.

Banned
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Nizy View Post
    I enjoy sharing my discoveries/interests, but often I feel as though I bore people with them. I'd rather not annoy anyone with my chatter, in fact I'm self-conscious about it. But often times the urge to share some tidbit of information, some odd detail of an equally odd interest, becomes difficult to contain.
    I go off on tangents usually, often themed, like recently: mountaineering has been my theme. And so I learn about people, techniques, famous climbs, future plans. And I share these ideas with people I know well, and to a lesser extent with others. I feel like the detail I go into might be considered "obsessive", however it doesn't feel so in the least to me. And I become concerned that my talk is oppressive, but honestly I'm not sure what I would do if I couldn't share my thoughts. The mere idea is depressing.

After writing this down I'm not sure where its going, or what the topic of discussion is precisely. Does anyone else feel this way? Is it an odd trait for someone of the INTP persuasion?

I am not an NT (ENFP here) but I do the same thing. Sounds like you are a very nice and considerate person and you should not be ashamed of that. My suggestion is to look at people and see their reactions. If they seem bored or annoyed quickly change the subject, if not, keep going with your interests.

Importantly though, be yourself, you don't have to stop talking about what you want to talk about because other people MAY not like it, just say it, I think people will respect you more when you do.

I also have a similar "themed" interest thing that I can get into. One minute it's Civil War, next minute Submarine Combat, next minute Space Travel, you name it, it's ridiculous, and certainly I feel the same way when I start talking about these specific interests, I am just thinking as I talk "Is anyone really going to give a damn" but it is hard not to be enthusiastic at the time because my brain is so wrapped up in these things, and I desire to share that knowledge and enthusiasm with other people.

You just need to find the balance between sharing this stuff for yourself, and considering other people in whether they want to hear it. I am sure your friends or even other people will be interested. INTPs are usually incredibly smart and good with language. Find the people who enjoy hearing it and talk to them about it.

Oh and keep the conversations two way, when other people feel they are contributing their interest level will naturally increase with regards to what you are talking about, or just your ideas in general.