• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] ENTPs get no respect?

corey_vann

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8sx
I have a friend who is an ENTP who seems to not get any respect, especially from a couple of ESTJs we know. At first I wasn't sure what to make of him, but over the past year of getting to know eachother I've learned he's a really nice/good guy. What I don't understand is why people get so down on him. As far as I can tell he doesn't do anything wrong, but he seems to be the defacto-whipping boy of this group of people. What's worse is that the previously mentioned ESTJs, one more than the other, are openly and unnecessarily critical, rude, and all around mean to him. I'm not a big fan of ESTJs to begin with, and I get that he's an easy target, but this is ridiculous! Have any ENTPs had similar experiences with ESTJs and other temperments and how did you deal with it? Has anyone seen this kind of behavior before and how was it dealt with?

Jonny

null
MBTI Type
FREE
How intelligent is he relative to the ESTJs? I would think an ENTP with equivalent intellect would be able to hold his own against a couple of ESTJ attackers.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
It could be the Ne goofiness rubbing the ESTJs the wrong way?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
A folk round here know how much I LOVE SJ's - I've been on the receiving end of a few ESxJ who were SO stupid - but felt they could behave badly towards me. I had one trying to brief a job that had no purpose.... I kept returning her back to the point of what she was trying to achieve and she didn't know...

in fairness although I (and several of my team) loathed her, she was also prone to coming and appologising when she figured out she was stupid.... But still her learning curve was hell.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Yea noone loves me. But in the end they will see I was right, I am gonna see to that myself... :D

Lux

Kraken down on piracy

I think this. And I absolutely love ENTP's!

I have an ENTP professor who's brilliant but she is sooo goofy. I love her but her teaching style rubs most of the class the wrong way and they dislike her/ make fun of her in class/ laugh at her. She honestly doesn't seem to care or notice though. Maybe your ENTP doesn't care either.

paintmuffin

MBTI Type
eNTP
ESTJs hate me O_O
i swear, some ESTJs in my middle school were the sole reason i ever typed myself as INFP back then..

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram

I think this. And I absolutely love ENTP's!

I have an ENTP professor who's brilliant but she is sooo goofy. I love her but her teaching style rubs most of the class the wrong way and they dislike her/ make fun of her in class/ laugh at her. She honestly doesn't seem to care or notice though. Maybe your ENTP doesn't care either.

I have to admit, without any doubt. You are both geniuses :D

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7

Definitely. I have always had problems with ESTJs in the past, especially during grade school. I was often told by them that I was a "know it all" or whatever (I think they were just threatened by my intelligence :newwink: ). This happened often when I was sitting right beside them! People can be so shameless; luckily I didn't give a shit :D

It doesn't help that everyone thinks I'm insane. Some people just don't have an ENTP's sense of humor...

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
If you are not completly out of touch with reality, you manage as an entp to combine being goofy with being still looking competent tho one day. But it will still hurt a lot, if someone is only on one side of the coin. Meaning, who is only goofy or only competent.

The former one will remind you of earlier days of your life in wish you searched for acceptance quite a lot and had quite a lot of good ideas you wanted to share, but were just unable to express it via your goofy nature, which you didnt wanted to change too cause you didnt want to come off as being to serious.

And the latter one hurts cause you think of people then, they are missing so much to life, if they are rigid like that. But you understand they choosed to be that way so you respect it. What you cant understand tho is if they want you to be like them, namely rigid too and without being that they wont respect you.

The good thing tho is, if you're an emotionless clever gangster like me, you will adapt to the situation and play your role. :D

3's ftw :D

Argus

MBTI Type
ENTP
In my adolescent years I experienced the same targeted relentless bashing in a lot of social circles, and it was almost always by SJ's. The language they used was very declarative and postulating, leaving little wiggle room. I didn't know how to fight on their level. The things they said were just paralyzing and I didn't really know how to give a rebuttal with out (fear of) escalating the situation. Or I just straight up didn't care because what they said had very little meaning.

Now I'm the alpha dog. And they suck it.

BlahBlahNounBlah

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Why are there so many threads about us all of sudden? I thought I wanted the attention. Now I'm not so sure. :thelook:

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Definitely. I have always had problems with ESTJs in the past, especially during grade school. I was often told by them that I was a "know it all" or whatever (I think they were just threatened by my intelligence :newwink: ). This happened often when I was sitting right beside them! People can be so shameless; luckily I didn't give a shit :D

It doesn't help that everyone thinks I'm insane. Some people just don't have an ENTP's sense of humor...

I got pretty similar reactions from ESTJs in high school. They'd give me a tough time for being nerdy/intellectual/just plain strange, and then say something like..."so, you're going to do the entire project right? Great! We'll talk to you again when it's due".

And the whole making moderately disparaging comments right in front of me thing...I guess they thought they were funny. Luckily I've got a pretty good tolerance for jokes made in poor taste :rolli:

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
I would echo the possibility of it being that they don't think we're "serious" enough people to be taken seriously, mistaking the outward lightness for absence of inward anything...

But I've also known in the past for it to be plain envy. When I manage to out perform them quite often, yet without brown nosing anybody, and speaking up when I don't like something, standing up for myself and being willing to rock the boat rather than put up with shit - and usually, get away with it. I've known some ESxJ's to resent me hugely for that. They have situations they're not happy with, but they just plod on anyway and don't say anything for fear of "making waves", yet I go ahead and do it and get away with it. I think that creates a feeling of envious resentment, but at the same time, it makes them feel uncomfortable cos it brings into question their conviction that they "have to" put up with shit... perhaps they don't like facing the alternative explanation as to why they do - not because they have to, but because they're afraid to do anything else.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Lets be honest here, ENTP's are no angels at giving respect and SJ's want to be respectable people.... It's like we offend their new world older thinking...