• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Gamer girls

Are yeu a gamer girl?

• Yes - Gamer girl - NT!

Votes: 18 20.9%
  • Yes - Gamer girl - Non-NT!

Votes: 10 11.6%
  • No - not into games - NT

Votes: 9 10.5%
  • No - not into games - Non-NT

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • No - I'm a guy

Votes: 47 54.7%

• Total voters

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
3901446004_9fc4c26a22.jpg

Alright, I got into a conversation on vent earlier, and it got me thinking about this annoying concept that's been bothering me for ages.

Gamer girls.

No, not that they exist, but rather, that people don't seem to REALIZE they exist.

I mean yeah, 10-15 years ago they were pretty rare, but this's not 10-15 years ago any longer... 10-15 years ago ANYONE who played games was pretty rare... it was like 10% of the population tops?

These days, it's obviously way higher. The whole WoW thing's probably partly to blame for dragging alot of females into the gaming world, or at least admitting that the concept isn't completely worthless. Shoes in a game are just as real as shoes in the 'real world' if yeu get to show them off to yeur friends and they still have the same level of envy. But anyways.

The fact is, that it's hardly a rarity these days. Even during the 'dork ages' (yes, a bad pun on dark ages, and yes, yeu're free to send me hatemail. Please do, I get bored without it, and I could use some kindling for the fireplace this winter) it's not like they didn't exist. They just... didn't exist VISABLY very well.

Like, back when internet gaming was just becomming fairly new, a study actually found that slightly over 50% of the purchases of strategy games were by... females. And yet... yeu didn't see alot playing starcraft and such oddly, so where were they?

There's a few factors here, which affect the 'percieved' number, as opposed to the 'real' number.

First off, female gamers rarely care for direct PvP (player versus player, directly challanging another person). It's a 'typically' male preferance, though there's always exceptions. In general though, this means that in many cases, a girl gamer simply wouldn't even show up in the online population since they'd content themselves to sticking to the single player.

Of course, social behaviour is fairly normal for females, (if not so much for nt's in some ways, who were probably the largest population here at this time) so going online was sometimes a craving that had to be sated anyway. But here we ran into the issue that well... there's ALOT of guys... and most of them at the time really WERE the stereotypical "doesn't ever get any" type, and with the percieved "no gamer girls" around, the second they see one it's like ZOMG MARRY MEEEEEE. At this time, the ones who did play, many of them refused to admit to being female at all to save themselves the headache. I did actually find a fair number over the years of playing back then, though they were admittedly alot more rare than the guys. Myself, I personally realized through trial and error testing, that admitting to being female wasn't whot caused this reaction... it was the admission that the guys THOUGHT yeu were a viable mate... as soon as yeu refused to give yeur age (a/s/l ugh hate that so glad that term's dead *stomps it good*), they gave up because they automatically assumed yeu were too old or too young for them. But regardless, there weren't many of the ones that DID go online who admitted it.

And of course the TYPE of games were preferential as well. Some genres just don't interest most female gamers in general, the typical FPS (first person shooter) is a great example of this. It's twitch reflex based, often insists on PvP mentioned above, and is graphically violent and annoyingly LOVES to toss naked women on the screen for some reason. In short, most girls really didn't (and still don't) care for this genre too much, with some exceptions. (I loved Deus EX, though I hated the controls. And ladders. I think I died more to ladders than enemies. Doom3 was scarry, other titles exist as well but there's not a ton) As such, many of the gamer girls just didn't play the same games the majority of the guys did, so never ran into one another.

So yeah, even back then, when it was obvious gamer girls were rare to begin with, there were alot of contributing factors to make it seem even MORE rare than really was the case.

Why not today though? Obviously there's ALOT more people playing games in general, now that the concept that games are actually a viable source of entertainment, the bias against them is mostly gone, and that people have realized how CHEAP they are, especially with the economic recession when they realized they could buy a game to keep them entertained all month for the price of seeing a single movie in the theater with those scary inflated prices.

And not just gamers in general have gone up, but so too have female gamers, the concept of a fantasy world has actually caught on quite well, and many are finally actually accepting that yeu can have fun in fiction as well as reality.

And yet... "zomg no wai u r not a gurl they dont play gamez lololol".

Sigh.

Yes, we've learned NOTHING it seems...

Swear I'd just love to beat my head against a wall some days, but really, walls are hard and they hurt so Imma not do that anymore >.>;;

In any case, I imagine that at one time, the NT population of girls were probably by far the most likely to play games, though I didn't know of the whole psychological profiling thing back then, so really, I can't say for certain as it'd be from a tainted memory.

As we can't test BACK THEN though, we can at least TEST NOW =3

So because of that, POLL TIME! Oh wait yeu saw that when yeu first clickied on this post... well... uhm... whotever.

Still, we'll assume yeu answered the poll (and send ninjas to kill yeu if yeu didn't >=O ), so let's go from there.

Why do yeu, or don't yeu believe in the validity of gaming as a form of entertainment as a whole, or why do yeu just not like it, or do like about it?

And for the guys, due to the difficulty of being a gamer girl from definition... how many do yeu know? Do yeu think they're fairly common these days? Does it make yeu happy to know one, or do they annoy yeu? Does it turn yeu on that yeu can enjoy yeurself playing a game with yeur girl, or does it piss yeu off that she's not following the standard contrived gender roles?

Alright, everyone go discuss!

No really.

Stop reading! DISCUSS!

Gah!

I'm ending this post now, I swear >.<

Really.

I am.

Ending it right now.

*Click*

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Kat...

I know this question probably sulks - and I kinda skimmed... what would you use to categorise a gamer girl

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
You have to understand, when we, the elite of nerd gamers, started to go to LAN sessions playing counterstrike for 2 days and 2 nights straight back in those days, no girl nevah evah looked at us, cause we were labeled as being strange.

Today it's time for pay back :D

Worst gamer girl is my girl. She logs in in Lord of The Rings Online and keeps farming for hide for 5 hours straight and then falls asleep in front of the laptop. She understands the meaning of epic fullheart gaming :D

Laurie

Was E.laur
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
At four years old my daughter was getting up in the middle of the night to play the wii.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Kat...

I know this question probably sulks - and I kinda skimmed... what would you use to categorise a gamer girl

I won't assume "hardcore zomg eat breathe sleep video games!", that's just silly.

But I mean more "do yeu consider video games a valid form of entertainment?". As in would yeu play say a computer game, and not feel silly doing it? Something a little more mainstream than tetris I guess would be a better definition.

Like would yeu actually WANT to play a video game, and go a little out of yeur way to be able to do so? Treat it on par with going to the movies, or watching tv, would yeu consider it worthy of a date, or value it as 'quality time' with yeur SO?

I suppose there's alot of definitions, but mostly I think it's just do yeu really consider it something that yeu can enjoy, to play something fun on the computer... or is it something yeu'd be ashamed to admit to?

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Have read somewhere that more and more females are playing online games because they can establish social connections or something. Whereas males tend to prefer achievement and competition. I used to play a MMORPG called Everquest and there were plenty of females, though much less in number than males. This was before the proliferation of voice chat clients like ventrilo, so it was always a joke that most of them were in fact males. Which was often true, we even had names for them like "mangina" and "shim." Some guys would create female characters because people would always treat them better, give them items etc.

ring the bell

I can admit it... I'm a gamer girl. I play WoW. I personally have owned several gaming systems in my life and can compete against the best dude gamers out there. I do get a lot of strange looks when I talk about liking to game, yet some guys think it's kind of hot. I don't care if people judge.. I think it keeps me sharp and entertained.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
By that definition I was probably a leading girl gamer...

probably 1997 bought playstation 1 - and did hours on Crash Bandicoot... to the point I had nightmares and repeatitive stress. My best mate (INTJ female), also got into and ended up buying one too and she also had nightmares... We played a fair bit.

Got into another 2-3 games, and then at one point took a sickie from work in order to complete Abe's odd world....

Eventually I lost a cable and I relised this wasn't a good use of time/too addictive to be socaly healthy so I didn't replace it...

I now only play games that are on my PC already or nuts about the arcade...

So I'm probably a retired gamer...

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I can admit it... I'm a gamer girl. I play WoW. I personally have owned several gaming systems in my life and can compete against the best dude gamers out there. I do get a lot of strange looks when I talk about liking to game, yet some guys think it's kind of hot. I don't care if people judge.. I think it keeps me sharp and entertained.

I'd love to make that claim but... I've SEEN the best. I mean the "best best". They are scary. Unnatural. Like yeu see some of the things they do and just have to go "okei, so yeu're apparantly not human and have 6 arms to pull that off o_O; ".

That being said, I generally come out on the top of MOST things XD I've always been #1 healer or tank in WoW, and got into the top guild on the server, and helped get the first server down of yogg-saron. Though... the hardcore playstyle just isn't for me, I consider it too much of a social thing, and honestly, my guildmates were all asses with only 2-3 exceptions >.<

And my video's dead now but oh well, I still game anyway... since I discovered I could play sim city classic, afterlife, and deadlock XD

And I still has the wii =3

But anyways ^^

Some guys would create female characters because people would always treat them better, give them items etc.

Sadly true ;_; I HATE when people do that >.< I've gone so far out of my way to earn whot I get... it's probably this very thing that has made me so fiercely independant and resistant to gifts. I absolutely abhor how people give freebies to women in games just because of gender. It's sexist and annoying as hell. I can earn my own stuff! I don't mind someone HELPING me, I love company if say... playing something togeather or whotever, but I refuse to be given free handouts just because of gender. I want to earn my place from whot I can do, not whot I was born with >.< (or without)

Eventually I lost a cable and I relised this wasn't a good use of time/too addictive to be socaly healthy so I didn't replace it...

So I'm probably a retired gamer...

Yeah it can suck up alot of time can't it? Honestly, every once in awhile my computer breaks, or I take a break from that gawdawful addiction that pretends to call itself a video game (World of warcrack...), but I always come back.

Because honestly... I prefer the society online more. NT's are accepted and female NT's are nearly worshipped and revered XD So much better than the opposite of "yeu are a weird sick abomination to nature!" I get otherwise.

And honestly... it's a 'waste' of time, but it's FUN. My end goal in life is to have fun. It works well. I love being able to chat with friends, but being able to also play games with them is just that much more entertaining.

That being said, imma rant about myself in a lil bit, but supper's on so need that first ^.~

Num num itallian herb pie <3

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
Die-hard RPG fan, my hero was Lara Croft growing up, I think FF7 is the best game created at it's time, and I play Dungeons and Dragons and Magic the Gathering for you table-top types.

I think I qualify :D .. Wait. :shocking: Why am I the only NF that voted yes?!

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Gamer girls are tempting as long as they don't freak out and send projectiles everywhere when they lose... :peepwall:

Die-hard RPG fan, my hero was Lara Croft growing up, I think FF7 is the best game created at it's time, and I play Dungeons and Dragons and Magic the Gathering for you table-top types.

I think I qualify :D .. Wait. :shocking: Why am I the only NF that voted yes?!

They're still consoling each other in other parts of the forums.

P

Phantonym

Gamer girl here (although I think I'd call myself dormant at the moment)! Guilty :devil: I'd never be ashamed to admit it.
Let's just say that I was hooked from the first second I played some video game in the early 90s. And it's developed from then on and I do enjoy it and consider it great entertainment.
But I've also tried to keep it under control for the past five years or so (by not upgrading my computer and having a really crappy Internet connection) because I already know I'd get really into it and it would start to seriously interfere with things in "real life".

Hmm. Thinking about it brings back good memories, though. Being a teenager ten years ago, playing Half-Life three times in a row, hardly sleeping for days...vivid memories...good times...:drool:

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
Nice smiley XD

And yes I totally feel the same way about people who just DON'T SHUT UP ABOUT IT.

Normally I don't even comment on it at all, I just get grrrr when people make a big deal out of it like "zomg it's impossible!" It's like... no... it's fairly normal these days... just be quiet and let me go back to enjoying myself without being harassed constantly >.>

However, there's people who just NEED the attention. I knew one girl who did this with being a lesbian... like EVERY SINGLE CONVERSATION multiple times! She'd point it out as often as possible! It was like gahhhhh we don't care! Yes I'm happy for yeu, now BE QUIET ABOUT IT ;_;

But that's mostly not why I made the post, moreso the opposite where when yeu even mention it by accident and everyone goes nuts. I kind of didn't want to touch too much on the people who are like "lookit meeeeee!". Though I can see the post comming off that way now >.<

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I play WoW. I have to go check my mail and see if my herbs sold now.

I didn't read the whole original post. Attention span too short.

I started playing WoW less than a year ago and I like it pretty well. I don't like non-MMOs and I don't pvp much, mostly because I'm not very good. WoW is something I hope I can continue playing with my kids after they start to leave home. I have four kids so we are just right for 5-mans. :D

runvardh

にゃん
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I play WoW. I have to go check my mail and see if my herbs sold now.

I didn't read the whole original post. Attention span too short.

I started playing WoW less than a year ago and I like it pretty well. I don't like non-MMOs and I don't pvp much, mostly because I'm not very good. WoW is something I hope I can continue playing with my kids after they start to leave home. I have four kids so we are just right for 5-mans. :D

So LFG is a common term around the house? :D

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I have to admit, I can't see the appeal in RPGs at all. I do love me some Guitar Hero, though. I used to play Nintendo growing up, but not as often as my sister. I would get bored/frustrated.

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Call me oblivious, but I never noticed there was ever a shortage of gamer girls... well, until all these threads multiplied themselves over the internet. I've always enjoyed gaming, so I didn't exercise much thought over the gender politics of this industry.

When observing the trends, it's clear that the game developers have been catering to the general male audience, and they gradually became the standardized target over the years. The guy gamers were evidently conspicuous enough to earn a seat upon the advertising table. With the introduction of a 'new' active audience, we should remember the industry is still accustomed to what was, and they are trying to adapt to the requests of their 'newest' contributing fans without loosing touch with the mainstream. Yes, they won't immediately understand the dynamics of the females and other minority groups, yet through time these individuals will assimilate into the standards. As soon as this occurs, I'm sure it would be almost ridiculous for an ordinary gamer to say, "zomg no wai u r not a gurl they dont play gamez lololol".

Take the social movements of the 60s, for instance. Are these sentiments as 'unusual' now as they were back then? ;)

LEVINA

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I dislike gaming. I remember ever since my first computer game when I was younger that It takes me one day to complete the game or figure out a way to cheat through. And that did not help when I discovered that the internet had cheat guides.
Usually, games start boring me after 5 minutes, Repeating actions to win the game- tiresome! I learned my lesson however, I shouldn't be buying anything related to gaming, otherwise after a day, I would not use it anymore.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
So LFG is a common term around the house? :D
Only the extrovert!

Oh, and the comic. They love that and I've heard "Slaughter Your World" on youtube quite a few times. The poor things have grown up on parodies and know no better!