User Tag List

12 Last

Results 1 to 10 of 11

  1. #1
    Senior Member Argus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    658

    Default Intelligence, growth, and identity

    Mr. Doctor has hypothesized that my Myelin cells developed more slowly but over a longer period of time and have only recently (over the last couple of years) begun to flourish.

    Which means... I'm starting to harness my intelligence and don't know what to do with it. I see the world though different eyes than the norm and notice "patterns" that often aren't picked up on by the majority of the population.

    He gave an analogy of how extremely attractive females often feel a distinct alienation from the world once they hit puberty and start turning into a woman. Things come easier to them, but at the same time don't make sense.

    It's a relatively quick perception shift resulting in an identity crisis.

    Basically, being "different" can be alienating and confusing.




    I'm wondering if any of you NT's (or pretty girls, or any other possibility) have been through/live with a similar/comparable scenario/experience.

  2. #2
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    I've worked with some very smart cookies over the year of mixed age groups...

    I've typically seen very bright people begin their careers and accelerate quite quickly then get board and move. It's not till they are actually older that they are given jobs that match their intellect in terms of challenge.

    It's like they need to play a waiting game - possiblying developing people skills and technical skills during the gap years.

    Yes it fits several NT's I know inc myself

  3. #3
    Senior Member Argus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    658

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    I've typically seen very bright people begin their careers and accelerate quite quickly then get board and move.
    Bingo.

  4. #4
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Being different CAN be alienating... but we're all different in one way or another.

    Seriously, it comes down to how yeu cope with whot yeu experience as difference. Some people can embrace it, others find it makes things awkward. Some can utilize it to their advantage, and others view it as a weight to be dragged around.

    I've had to go through distinctive alienation throughout my life in many stages, in a great number of ways, many of which I have no intention on fully explaining on the board. Many more of which I will state out clearly, as well however.

    Honestly, the biggest and most important thing yeu have to do is not panic. Relax, no matter how hard it is, and consider how it affects yeu, and figure out the positive and negative aspects of it. Intelligence can be great... but it can be overwhelming too. The wealth of pattern recognition that opens up can be staggering, especially if it's to someone who didn't have access to such previously.

    Yeur mind is yeur strongest asset though, and always shall be. If yeu've just been given a sudden upgrade to it, then make use of that and put it to work on contemplating the situation yeu're on now.

    If yeu're anything like me though, yeu'll need to express these concepts THROUGH someone else though. Asking a board like this is a good way to start, as yeu'll get a large number of opinions and viewpoints, but I'd also highly advise finding a close friend to talk to, and getting their perspective on things as well, as yeu'll be able to go into more detail and deeper understanding of such than yeu can here. This's a good starting place though.

    In the end, though, it's yeur choice to view it as a gift, or a bane. How yeu make use of it will relate directly to how yeu percieve it. Yeur ability to cope is directly tied to that perception as well.

  5. #5
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    for what its worth I know about 4 NTs who have done that and then settled down big time in really challenging enjoyable careers c.35-43 ...

    I liken it to growing into your intellect... it takes NTs a while to master their intellect and use it for good

  6. #6
    Priestess Of Syrinx Katsuni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?
    Posts
    1,238

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tinkerbell View Post
    for what its worth I know about 4 NTs who have done that and then settled down big time in really challenging enjoyable careers c.35-43 ...

    I liken it to growing into your intellect... it takes NTs a while to master their intellect and use it for good
    I'd rather just use mine for evil! =D


  7. #7
    Senior Member tinkerbell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,487

    Default

    LOL always a more fun choice, of course

  8. #8
    Senior Member Shimmy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    SEXY
    Posts
    1,868

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Argus2968 View Post
    Mr. Doctor has hypothesized that my Myelin cells developed more slowly but over a longer period of time and have only recently (over the last couple of years) begun to flourish.

    Which means... I'm starting to harness my intelligence and don't know what to do with it. I see the world though different eyes than the norm and notice "patterns" that often aren't picked up on by the majority of the population.

    He gave an analogy of how extremely attractive females often feel a distinct alienation from the world once they hit puberty and start turning into a woman. Things come easier to them, but at the same time don't make sense.

    It's a relatively quick perception shift resulting in an identity crisis.

    Basically, being "different" can be alienating and confusing.




    I'm wondering if any of you NT's (or pretty girls, or any other possibility) have been through/live with a similar/comparable scenario/experience.
    At times EVERYBODY feels alienated from the world. Intelligence or looks are just two of the reasons somebody can feel this way. They are the medium, not the feeling. On the other hand of the spectrum, you can feel dumb and ugly as well. And more so, how about emotional acceptance, wealth, health, status, self-confidence, these are all things somebody could feel alienated about.

    I think the answer you should be looking for is the realisation that you are not different from all the others, but that everybody is different from everybody else.

    Now for a more practical solution. Go join Mensa, do a study, get intellectual and fun stimulation. Use your intellect, if not for the good of mankind or yourself, at least to have fun solving difficult puzzles and create personal theories and systems about things.

  9. #9
    pathwise dependent FDG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj
    Posts
    5,908

    Default

    Are you able to solve a system of 10 2nd order PDEs in your head? If not, then you still have a long way to go with your myelin, my friend.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

  10. #10
    Member SilentStream's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    60

    Default

    Yeah I grew some brain cells when I was 20 too, I'm almost 21 and I'm still grappling with many issues that have resulted in a complete turn-around in my thinking on life. Embrace it. It has been incredibly interesting for me. I started to read lots of non-fiction to stimulate these brain waves. In fact I could say I'm a completely different person than I was a year ago. I have a long way to go though. My identity had to be rebuilt in many ways, but finding out I was an INTP helped to some extent.

Similar Threads

  1. [E9] Type 9 and Identity
    By DJAchtundvierzig in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 02-04-2011, 10:49 AM
  2. MBTI Growth and Stress Behaviors
    By Little_Sticks in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-18-2010, 11:53 PM
  3. Human potential, personal growth and development?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-12-2010, 04:20 AM
  4. [INTP] INTP, intelligence, laziness, and the J rebellion
    By Cypocalypse in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 05-29-2008, 12:36 PM
  5. Intelligent men and air-heads
    By labyrinthine in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 66
    Last Post: 09-07-2007, 04:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO