Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by jellyfish View Post
    I hate Star Wars.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Hilarious. But, midgets are neither fantasy nor science-fiction. What gives?
    Hypothesis: "dwarves" is a deprecated term for short people, in addition to being a fantasy species; so maybe EffEmDoubleyou programmed his subconscious to automatically substitute "midgets" instead, on the reasonable assumption that he or she would never actually meet the fantasy version? I dunno.
    Last edited by SciVo; 09-06-2009 at 12:56 AM. Reason: clarity
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by SciVo View Post
    Hypothesis: dwarves are a fantasy species, but "dwarves" is also a deprecated term for short people, so EffEmDoubleyou programmed his subconscious to automatically substitute "midgets" instead? I dunno.
    Gnomes and hobbits count too.

Quote Originally Posted by INTPness View Post
    Hilarious. But, midgets are neither fantasy nor science-fiction. What gives?
    Sure they are! You can call them Hobbits or you can call them elves, or you can call them Yoda, or you can call them whatever the heck they called them in the Dark Crystal, but they're all midgets :p
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTJ

I love sci-fi, although I prefer books and films rather than television series. I think this is because tv tends to focus on personal relationships rather than big ideas.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Sci fi and fantasy, yes, especially when blended, such as in shadowrun.

Specifically, I just really love good writing though, and am far more picky about the writing style, than of the genre.

For example, I just watched silence of the lambs again yesterday. WONDERFUL movie... but it's not sci-fi. It's not fantasy. It's not even a genre I normally care for, but it's exceptionally well written.

Star trek is alright I guess... at least the original series and TNG were, and the movies until the recent one which I haven't watched out of spite. The others, DS9, voyager, enterprise? Not really interested, the writing sucked and being 'zomg in space!' means nothing. Space exploration is a TOOL to deliver a story. Enterprise used it as a crutch. Voyager used it as a drama -_-;

If yeu want good sci-fi, watch babylon 5. There yeu go, awesomeness in a can. PURE 100% awesome.

Terminator was good, at least the second movie and the first were. Third was alright, haven't seen fourth but not sure I care despite that they finally got to the part I WANTED to see >.<

Dr who is <3, at least most of the time. Everyone knows the best doctor was the fourth doctor, and had the stupidly long scarf and the sonic screwdriver though. And K-9.

*Swoon over scarf* I needs me one of those XD

Anyways, yeah, sci-fi is good... sometimes. GOOD sci-fi is GOOD. Not because it's sci-fi, but BECAUSE it is good. GOOD fantasy is also GOOD, once again not because it's fantasy but because it's well written.

Sci-fi and fantasy just happen to be useful mediums which provide far more creative reach. If yeu're writing non-fiction, yeu're pretty much handicapped on whot yeu can write. Yeu can't place in a moral which doesn't exist without screwing up the storyline, and yeu can't make anything new or interesting which didn't exist. Reality CAN be stranger than fiction (after all, fiction has to stick to possibilities), but fiction can do things which reality hasn't done.

Sci-fi and fantasy just give a vast expance of tools to apply to situations beyond that which currently exist. A truly great writer can make awe-inspiring use of these tools. A bad one still sucks. I like good writing, it just so happens that sci-fi and fantasy give a broader range of tools to the good writers, so that yeu can see just HOW good they really are.

Exactly. I love high-quality sci-fi, like Asimov or Lem, just as I love fantasy 'classics'. And I have a thing for Shadowrun too

But most of all, I love utopian stories - Orwell, Atwood, Lang etc. I prefer these things in books, films, games 'n stuff - like Deus Ex, which is the best game I've ever played *nerd*

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Exactly. I love high-quality sci-fi, like Asimov or Lem, just as I love fantasy 'classics'. And I have a thing for Shadowrun too

But most of all, I love utopian stories - Orwell, Atwood, Lang etc. I prefer these things in books, films, games 'n stuff - like Deus Ex, which is the best game I've ever played *nerd*
    Considering the things yeu just listed... I think yeu mean DIS-topian, not U-topian.

Miiiiinor little difference there XD

And yeah I loves deus ex as well (one of the only FPS games I can tollerate playing), and much of the others as well =3

Ideas like farenheit 451, or 2112, or anthem, are all <3

And yes, shadowrun 4tw! (distopian)

MBTI
    INTP

I like anything with a good story. There is some really crappy sci-fi/fantasy out there.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Sci-fi - yes
    Fantasy - yes

I think silentstream is right, you need to get the good stuff for it to be good. I usually stick to certain authors so I know their quality is high. <3 Asimov, Card, Tolkien, Lewis, (Christie although not scifi/fantasy) I will pretty much read everything available once I find a top of the line author I like.

I find I really have to dig to find good stuff in any genre, I will usually pick 7-8 books at the library at a time and can't always find good stuff. Once I was reading a series that was very "light" and then started another book and couldn't even go back to the "light" one. (light = not many threads of a story)

I've had luck with Dennis McKiernan, Robin Cook, Michael Stackpole.

I've never really gotten into TV much, but I guess I'm watching BSG now. It's pretty good but I just like reading a lot better.