• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Smartest in the world work Blue collar jobs

redacted

I'm a horrible example, but my IQ is 136 (which isn't all that high, maybe above average) but everyone thinks I'm a pothead who has a short attention span.

Just to let you know, 136 IQ is over 99th percentile. Anything over 130 is >= +2SDs, which is less than 2.5% of the pop.

So either you're way way above average, or shouldn't trust your IQ score (especially if it was taken online).

sunset5678

MBTI Type
XNTJ
Yeah, I have an IQ of 150, read a lot of classics and know many things about
multiple languages and I have musical talents as well as acting, yet I am stuck
in a town where a lot of people are complete morons that run around with who
is available and have a dead end job. Is there a way to get what you want out
of life without having to give up...well...life? Even though your life sucks some-
times there's things you could see having to give up if you became successful.
but what about success?

TickTock

Mud and rain and chaos...
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w3
The only thing it proved is that IQ doesnt count for much.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I'll soon be applying for a management post at work. Two of my managers have told me to apply for the job (which is normally a good thing). However, I know that one of my colleagues has already been identified as the favourite to get the positition. She is in close contact with the line manager, does a lot of jobs for her and has a very good working relationship with her. However, in my opinion, the favourite is not all that smart. I know that to even get an interview I'll have to do a lot of research and make an excellent application with a lot of additional information. However, I'm prepared to be disappointed, as I know they're likely to appoint someone that will do as they are told will not question authority.

I was interested to see the YOUTUBE link about the meaning of money posted by INTJ123. I got involved in a prolonged conversation about this topic (amongst others) with an IT technician (a blue collar job) who in probably INTP. We must have talked for over four hours, and he told me some incredible things relating to this subject. He used to write compilers, but had found the job too stressful hence why he now works as a technician. He had written a program that mimicked the financial system which he claimed gave interesting results. A great deal of what he said went straight over my head, and I kept having to ask him to clarify ideas. In my opinion, this guy, although very eccentric, is smarter than the director who is three layers of management above him. However, the director is a very charming person, is better dressed, exudes confidence and is capable of manipulating people.

So what are the "interesting results"? You mention getting results but don't mention what the results are...is it world war 3?

Ulaes

loopy
MBTI Type
crak
Enneagram
sax
super intelligent people don't really fit into society.

ive read the ideal iq for suceeding and having benefits in society is 125. any higher and your going to have problems, i.e. bordem (which can lead to emotional problems).
this's probably been said already but i think a lot of what makes one sucessful has nothing to do with intelligence.
not everyone wants to be a doctor or surgeon anyway, its a crappy lifestyle.

for smart people in blue-collar jobs... i'd look for people who do their own thing. i can also see this situation happening a lot: no one udnerstands the thought patterns, behaviours, needs of someone of significantly superior intelligence so they're never catered to and fall through the system.

personal story time:

when my dad tried to get into the army they threw an iq test at him and he hit the roof score (155 or something), and self-emplyed he's a labourer.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Anyway, being a farmer, a cheese-maker (don't know the exact word in english, sorry), a wine-maker can be extremely profitable, at least here in Italy. Especially if you're cultivating some special local product. It's not considered as a lowly job anymore.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Just to let you know, 136 IQ is over 99th percentile. Anything over 130 is >= +2SDs, which is less than 2.5% of the pop.

So either you're way way above average, or shouldn't trust your IQ score (especially if it was taken online).

Evan - I'm affraid different tests are done on different scales.... your numbers look very low there.. I think other tests have high IQO at above 140... but I might be wrong

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Random question, but is unintentional trolling via extreme incompetence a punishable offense around here?

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
ive read the ideal iq for suceeding and having benefits in society is 125. any higher and your going to have problems, i.e. bordem (which can lead to emotional problems).
this's probably been said already but i think a lot of what makes one sucessful has nothing to do with intelligence.
not everyone wants to be a doctor or surgeon anyway, its a crappy lifestyle.

Again the score is different depending on test...

I think you have a point about bright people getting bored... I know some very bright people that took till their mid 30's to grow into their brain - it's not until they are a bit older that people are willing to give them the responcible jobs with clout that will challenge their brains... so they play this weird treading of water thing between late 20's and mid to late 30's (I'm sure a fair few make alternative life choices in the interval).

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
Well, certainly not online tests.

Oh god I SO didn't mean online tests :) I thought there was around 6 different tests that were recognised as stock measures.... which all have different distibutions and scales ranges...

I'm sure my ex boss use to tell me he was 160 (he is super bright) but that sounds weird with a averge of 100

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
100 average, 15 SD is standard.

What about trolling via bringing up other people's so called incompetence? :devil:

I guess we'll find that out if/when they get around to answering my question.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
So what are the "interesting results"? You mention getting results but don't mention what the results are...is it world war 3?

Yes, sorry, it's just that the results weren't the point of the post (i.e. that this guy appears to be extremely intelligent and has ended up in a blue collar job either because of a lack of social skills or as a lifestyle choice).

Anyhow, he predicted that what has just happened would happen (i.e. the credit crunch). The good thing about working in education, is that during the summer it is possible to have extended conversations with people. We also chatted about chess personalities (Capablanca, Fisher, Karpov, Kasparov came up), artificial intelligence and inevitably religion.

ed111

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you are aiming for the best quality of life your IT teccie probably has the right idea.

In more senior possitions often you end up working longer hours in more stressful situations. Hence the increase in money doesn't compensate.

Many city types make money the first part of their careers - then get out the city and have a life.... which personally sounds like a good idea.

If you value climbing the corporate ladder it's money and status
If you value quality of life it's probably people and family

Very few people know what makes them happy... but thats a whole new thread...

I have found that whatever job I do, I will get stressed whether it is mundane, repetative or challenging. In fact the more repetative or lower down the food chain it is the more stressful I find it (this is evidenced by research done on the UK civil service).

As I have to work to make money and survive, it seems sensible that I should try to aim for the best paid jobs within my field of interest (research and computing). I also like to control things and be able to make changes rather than get frustrated when things aren't done right.

Therefore the best job for me is in management. This is something I've only recently realised!

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Is that comparable acros the different tests?

Intelligence quotient - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Wikipedia said:
Although the term "IQ" is still in common use, the scoring of modern IQ tests such as the Wechsler Adult Intelligence Scale is now based on a projection of the subject's measured rank on the Gaussian bell curve with a center value (average IQ) of 100, and a standard deviation of 15, although different tests may have different standard deviations.

Fifteen is the most common s.d., but it is not the only one even from an "official" IQ test.