• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Smartest in the world work Blue collar jobs

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Nah, they're smart when it comes to academia, building shit like robots or whatever. But they are lacking in a lot of other departments which I think is just as important (or even more so) than textbook nonsense. I've went to a science high school so I've had my share of these types... for four years. The majority of them are just, what's the word... Crazy? Emotionally unstable, socially inept, etc. Sure it's great that you are smart, but what else do you have going for you?

I'm a horrible example, but my IQ is 136 (which isn't all that high, maybe above average) but everyone thinks I'm a pothead who has a short attention span. And I guess that I do come off as a complete jackass the majority of them... Wait, I went off topic. I forgot what I was trying to say :huh: what do I have to do with this? LMFAO nevermind :smile:

oh I see. I like potheads.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Intelligence does not equal income.

I'm at the very least fairly intelligent... Knowing this fact does not give me any happy thoughts or emotions. Neither does the thought that I could make a lot of money if I finished a difficult study and used my intelligence.

Being able to think about things in general rather then specifics. Knowing that people genuine appreciate me for my entire being instead of my brain capacity. Having no pressure put onto me to achieve anything somebody other then me desires. Those things generally give me more peace of mind then any praise or money could ever do.

cool, I feel the same way.

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah but statistically, academically intelligent people are more likely to have college degrees, and in turn are more likely to end up with high-income jobs.

there is academic intellect and real intellect.
I love how we seem to meet further down the road to disagree again, AJ

paperoceans

Une Femme est une femme
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
oh I see. I like potheads.

1zqrdyr.jpg

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Not with the intelligence / "real intelligence" & success discussion again. Look at the bloody charts. Find 'em. D'uh.

Oh can't you find charts about someone being fluffy nice cool kumbayah person & relating it to intelligence or success? perhaps that is not an attribute of success, apart from someone's opinion.

I'm giving you a task.

Find the studies that link intelligence to decreased chance to be incarcerated. To be poor. To increased chance to own significant amount of stock in a company. Now that's success, measured.

Being orangeyishly-metaphorically-niceyish person isn't close to being measurable. I can do it. My neighbours dog can do it.

Get real with your anti-intellectual stuff. Measure something real.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram

What, you didn't appreciate the knee-slapping irony inherent in Mr. Appleyard accusing another writer of confirmation bias (without apparently knowing the term for it), and then approving of outright anecdotal cherry-picking by his audience? :cheese:

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh can't you find charts about someone being fluffy nice cool kumbayah person & relating it to intelligence or success? perhaps that is not an attribute of success, apart from someone's opinion.

The type of success that was used in this thread covers career success, in terms of prestige.

Thread Title: "Smartest in the world work Blue collar jobs"
Translation: How could the smartest person work in a job below their (academic) intelligence?

(Not disagreeing with your post, btw. Just wanted to point this out.)

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
Intelligence is such a nebulous concept anyway. How smart can you possibly be if you are stuck doing menial jobs for your entire lifetime? I reckon some people enjoy vagrant lifestyle, but I'm guessing most don't.

I've met some Ivy league grads who were incompetent social retards. Sure, they got SAT, LSAT, etc, nailed down, but when it comes to pulling down pants before taking a shit, they fail.

That MENSA statistic (if true) most likely has fairly simple explination. Successful people with high IQ scores probably have better things to do than pay 50 bucks for a certificate that says "daym, ya sure iz smrt"

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
Not with the intelligence / "real intelligence" & success discussion again. Look at the bloody charts. Find 'em. D'uh.

I'm giving you a task.

Find the studies that link intelligence to decreased chance to be incarcerated. To be poor. To increased chance to own significant amount of stock in a company. Now that's success, measured.

Being orangeyishly-metaphorically-niceyish person isn't close to being measurable. I can do it. My neighbours dog can do it.

anti intellectual? hmm. Well sorry but I wasn't trying to be anti intellectual, If you are bothered by this thread then don't bother reading it? You seem disturbed by this somehow, but it's not my fault you chose to read it and respond. The ways in which some people cause their own discomfort amuses me.

Jaguar

That MENSA statistic (if true) most likely has fairly simple explination. Successful people with high IQ scores probably have better things to do than pay 50 bucks for a certificate that says "daym, ya sure iz smrt"

That reminds me of when they had a MENSA boy on the TV show: The Apprentice.
I could tell this kid would get fired by Trump pretty fast.
Of course that's what happened.

But here's stupidity at its finest.
The task was to create a commercial.
MENSA boy created a commercial with no sound.
No, I am not kidding.
Can you imagine a client investing a large amount of capital,
for a commercial that a potential customer couldn't even hear?

Trump said: "You may be a MENSA boy, but you're not very smart."
Then he fired his ass.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
That reminds me of when they had a MENSA boy on the TV show: The Apprentice.
I could tell this kid would get fired by Trump pretty fast.
Of course that's what happened.

But here's stupidity at its finest.
The task was to create a commercial.
MENSA boy created a commercial with no sound.
No, I am not kidding.
Can you imagine a client investing a large amount of capital,
for a commercial that a potential customer couldn't even hear?

Trump said: "You may be a MENSA boy, but you're not very smart."
Then he fired his ass.

retardk.jpg

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I doubt anyone can say that anyone who is intelligent is creative. People confuse the two quite often.

Jaguar

Putting sound in a commercial isn't an act of creativity.
It's common fucking sense.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I know. I'm just putting down part of a train of thought.

ilovetrannies

MBTI Type
ISFP
Very intelligent people do have trouble working in the real world. I know two absolutely brilliant physics majors and they still don't have a job. I don't think they will ever hold down a job. Their just bums, sad to say. I tried to talk to them about teaching at college for a specific class, so they don't need as much school left to do, and one guy told me he wanted a job where he didn't have to do anything. I'm so jealous that they could do whatever they want, but playing video games and living at their parents is more important, while I have a shitty job. I give up.:doh::steam:

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I thought this conversation was useless, but I can see that some are still trying to take it seriously. If you actually want to get somewhere, then you have to at least know the concept of multiple intelligences. Ideally you'd read Frames of Mind by Howard Gardner; but that's a long, hard slog, and not necessarily worth it for the non-enthusiast. (I'm a self-improvement fanatic, like how some people are nuts for NASCAR.)

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
Blue collar jobs are really nice in many ways, especially those that allow you to be outdoors (as opposed to factory worker, which is hell). I think that somebody with such an high IQ could feel like he's studying for nothing, since he could think by himself material that is better than what's presented, thus prefers some alternative.

I've got a good friend since elementary school. We used to be the two considered "smartest" at that school, usually coming up tied at the first two places in the mathematics competitions that were held annually. Now he's finishing his mechanical engineering degree, and I'm finishing my actuarial sciences one. Yet when we go out, we both dream about a job were we would be allowed to be outdoors and interact with people and with "real" objectcs, rather than being in a room all day long writing calculations or typing on the keyboard.

I thought this conversation was useless, but I can see that some are still trying to take it seriously. If you actually want to get somewhere, then you have to at least know the concept of multiple intelligences. Ideally you'd read Frames of Mind by Howard Gardner; but that's a long, hard slog, and not necessarily worth it for the non-enthusiast. (I'm a self-improvement fanatic, like how some people are nuts for NASCAR.)

Most people around here are aware of those concepts. No need to be condescending.

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
I'll add some thoughts...

There is a law if deminishing return, being 10% more intellegnet after a certain point had no benefit.

I had a collegue who was in mensa, and said most members were socally inepts and strugged at work because they beleived they ought to be listened to more/theoretical principals ought to apply, that just were not sensible. They also can be on the argoant side and make co workers feel stupid....

A few years back I heard their was a trend of Oxford graduates (one of our two top univeristies) opting to start plumbing firms straight from university. Plumbers typically earn quite a lot of money and have a good lifestye. They opted fr a relatively stress free lifestyle on good money in favour of white collar work.

I've always though that people who are life time civil servants are pretty switched on in terms of life style too. Very safe job and very good work life balance.

INTJ123

HAHHAHHAH!
MBTI Type
ESFP
I'll add some thoughts...

There is a law if deminishing return, being 10% more intellegnet after a certain point had no benefit.

I had a collegue who was in mensa, and said most members were socally inepts and strugged at work because they beleived they ought to be listened to more/theoretical principals ought to apply, that just were not sensible. They also can be on the argoant side and make co workers feel stupid....

A few years back I heard their was a trend of Oxford graduates (one of our two top univeristies) opting to start plumbing firms straight from university. Plumbers typically earn quite a lot of money and have a good lifestye. They opted fr a relatively stress free lifestyle on good money in favour of white collar work.

I've always though that people who are life time civil servants are pretty switched on in terms of life style too. Very safe job and very good work life balance.

hmm interesting, never heard that before, will have to look into it.

SciVo

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Most people around here are aware of those concepts. No need to be condescending.

And yet this thread does not reflect that awareness in any coherent way.

Last edited: