User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    That MENSA statistic (if true) most likely has fairly simple explination. Successful people with high IQ scores probably have better things to do than pay 50 bucks for a certificate that says "daym, ya sure iz smrt"
    Aside from this quote being spot on, there's another important point. IQ doesn't measure intelligence, smarts, cleverness or whatever other adjectives you can think of. Those adjectives do not represent scalar quantities, and are not measured so easily.

What it likely does measure, aside from how good one is at IQ tests, is processing power in a certain abstract area of thought. Not how good you are at that area of abstract thought, but how fast you are.

Intelligence is much more complex than that, and by most definitions, only lightly correlated to (non-internet) IQ scores.

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    The ten rules:

Don't think that you are special.
    Don't think that you are of the same standing as us.
    Don't think that you are smarter than us.
    Don't fancy yourself as being better than us.
    Don't think that you know more than us.
    Don't think that you are more important than us.
    Don't think that you are good at anything.
    Don't laugh at us.
    Don't think that anyone of us cares about you.
    Don't think that you can teach us anything.
    I think I just saw Ayn Rand's corpse twitch.

I'd like to add a couple of annotations to those rules, just to flesh out my perception of them (they do seem pretty menacing as presented)

Don't think that you are special. - You're just another iteration of the 6.7 billion human beings on the planet. Remember that from time to time, and take some humility in that fact. It's not who you are that is special, it's what you do with the opportunity you have in life.

Don't think that you are of the same standing as us. -
    You wouldn't be anywhere without all of our collective effort at raising you. Humans are social animals, therefore, the group in the end is more important than the individual. That being said, the individual truly is important per se - just not so much so that individual desires trump group needs.

Don't think that you are smarter than us. - because like it or not, there are plenty of things that you don't know that one or many of us do know. Everyone's the ignorant one from time to time - it's all in how you handle the situation.

Don't fancy yourself as being better than us. -
    because you're not. No one is any better or worse intrinsically than anyone else. We're all complex stacks of carbon, hydrogen and oxygen that managed a neat trick of copying itself. Once again, it's not about who you think you are, it's about what you do

Don't think that you know more than us. -
    because buddy, if you think the knowledge you've acquired in your short time on Earth comes close to our collective knowledge that we've put together over the course of history, you're deluding yourself. Don't just think that you know more - prove that the information you have is better than that which we have.

Don't think that you are more important than us. - because you're not. No one's more "important" than anyone else. The most renowned scholar, the most powerful politician, the wealthiest businessman - none of these people would be anywhere close to their current level of luxury without the most common of workers - garbage collectors, sewer attendants, janitors, etc.

Don't think that you are good at anything. - because you can always be better. Once you think you're good at something, you'll rest on your laurels and waste your potential, and sure enough, you'll be surpassed by someone who wants it more than you do. An expert is constantly learning, constantly improving upon a currently-held skill set.

Don't laugh at us. - because you'll be the jerk sometime, too. Laugh at the situation, laugh at the misfortune of it all, but don't laugh at the person like you're better than they are. You'll be knocked down a peg by life soon enough, and you wouldn't want us to laugh at you then, would you?

Don't think that anyone of us cares about you. -
    anymore than we do anyone else. As high an opinion you may have of yourself, plenty of people may not have the same estimation of yourself, and for good reason. Care for us, and we will show you the same in return.

Don't think that you can teach us anything.
    - just let us learn from you. There is no need to assume a superior attitude toward others in sharing knowledge; it's the knowledge that's important, right?

Everyone's one of us, and everyone's the individual. The ideal is a group that respects the needs of each individual, composed of people who put everyone's priorities above their own. Needless to say, this doesn't exist anywhere in the world.

ThatGirl

There are several different reasons this could occur. One thing I think of is in psychology where they set up the test to see how intelligent people would set their goals. They had three targets set up. Easy medium and difficult. The incentive was something like, hit the easy one you get ten dollars, the medium twenty, the hardest thirty. They found most intelligent and successful people would aim for the middle one.

I grew up thinking (and having others think) I was just weird, not smart. I only recently found that out. In my HS days it was a miricule I even graduated. I was more rebelious than anything else. I founds flaws in the system and never understood why I should have to follow the rules.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    I've heard over 75% of mensa members work blue collar jobs.

Then I've heard of people like Rick Rosner with about 190 IQ who went through periods of living off dog food, and returned to high school 4 times voluntarily lol... and ironically losing the $16,000 question on who wants to be a millionaire, then went on to sue them for the flawed question.

Chris Langan the bouncer for 20 years with a 190-210 IQ, Highest in America. I think he's a farmer now though.
    Smartest Man in the World Espouses Virtues of Eugenics - One Man's Blog
    I can see why people don't like smart people. It might be that since this guy is supposedly on a level that makes me look retarded that I look at him weird, the weird way that other people often look at me. Or it is possible that they really arn't that smart, I don't really know.

The man with the highest IQ in the world presently is Korean Physicist / Engineer Kim Ung-yong, with a verified IQ of 210. Apparently he felt that he missed out on his whole childhood and was super alienated with no friends at all. So he quit his job at NASA and went back to Korea to join some clubs and try to "fit in".

What do you guy's think? Do they seem "smart"? Or just plain crazy.

I think they're smart. What's the problem here? Just because they don't live up to the American capitalist ideal of success they aren't "smart"? Hey! Maybe they're happy! I can't think of anything smarter than that...

Plus, someone who lives off of dogfood must have had some rotten luck. Bad luck/bad circumstances can affect anyone, no matter how smart they are. That's what I keep trying to remind libertarians.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh yeah, plus the fact that people who are geniuses in one area can actually be completely deficient in other areas of practical knowledge and emotional intelligence. Some people see genius as a sort of disability.

(just wanted to point out how awesome onemortime's post is)

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think they're smart. What's the problem here? Just because they don't live up to the American capitalist ideal of success they aren't "smart"?
    I know that dropping phrases like "american capitalist ideal of success" is a chic and fashionably non-conformist thing to do, but having grown up in a communist country, I can safely tell you that being a janitor or a ditch digger wasn't exactly a respectable position there either.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think they're smart. What's the problem here? Just because they don't live up to the American capitalist ideal of success they aren't "smart"? Hey! Maybe they're happy! I can't think of anything smarter than that...

Plus, someone who lives off of dogfood must have had some rotten luck. Bad luck/bad circumstances can affect anyone, no matter how smart they are. That's what I keep trying to remind libertarians.
    Thank you for sharing your opinion, I think some people forgot to really address this. I didn't ask for a logical analysis, but I didn't mind it either, I'm open to hearing all points of views.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Talking

Yes, the group is important.
    We're all ignorant sometimes.
    We are all part of some group. Yadayadayada.

If you divide my IQ by two, you still end up above mild retardation (60-70).
    Same goes for EQ. Anyway, i'm pretty much awesome in most cases.
    My sense of direction sucks, Si is non-existent, I am not sympathetic towards people in general. I have favorites.

We all have weaknesses. I just have one hell of a lot fewer than most.
    Did I mention that i'm kind of humble?
    That would be a lie. I'm realistic.
    I know who I am, and I am proud of myself.

Speaking of EQ, onemoretime, that wasn't very tactful of you.
    I know, you're an ENTP. And... You won't understand stuff like that even if I explain it to you.

I am not worth more as a human being. I am still just one individual.
    I am just criticizing the innate need others seem to have to hold stronger individuals back.
    It is like people are afraid of me... And yeah, they should be.
    But in the end, the only product of people doing so will be that they're in for a virtual shitstorm with nukes in it. (Wouldn't that be aerosol feces, assuming that the nukes detonate?)

Anyway. Pissing me off only fuels my fire, makes me more inclined to maul others down etc.
    I will still achieve world domination, you know

Spelling errors everywhere... I think... Don't poke at me, i'm down with the fever + coughing like hell, and I have just come home from working a nightshift. -_- Not a good idea, I know... But I just wanted to finish my shit and not cause problems/piss people off. And now i'm off for a week and a half.

Ehum. Like anyone would actually care. But, it's my reason for not writing like I usually do... And... Yeah, i'm Swedish.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ

I'll soon be applying for a management post at work. Two of my managers have told me to apply for the job (which is normally a good thing). However, I know that one of my colleagues has already been identified as the favourite to get the positition. She is in close contact with the line manager, does a lot of jobs for her and has a very good working relationship with her. However, in my opinion, the favourite is not all that smart. I know that to even get an interview I'll have to do a lot of research and make an excellent application with a lot of additional information. However, I'm prepared to be disappointed, as I know they're likely to appoint someone that will do as they are told will not question authority.

I was interested to see the YOUTUBE link about the meaning of money posted by INTJ123. I got involved in a prolonged conversation about this topic (amongst others) with an IT technician (a blue collar job) who in probably INTP. We must have talked for over four hours, and he told me some incredible things relating to this subject. He used to write compilers, but had found the job too stressful hence why he now works as a technician. He had written a program that mimicked the financial system which he claimed gave interesting results. A great deal of what he said went straight over my head, and I kept having to ask him to clarify ideas. In my opinion, this guy, although very eccentric, is smarter than the director who is three layers of management above him. However, the director is a very charming person, is better dressed, exudes confidence and is capable of manipulating people.