User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Ragingkatsuki View Post
    It seems that those with high intelligence suffer more. Well then why don't they use their intelligence to make their lives much more resourceful.
    If you click that link under Chris Langan he gives his explanation for this. It's a common question people ask.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by INTJ123 View Post
    If you click that link under Chris Langan he gives his explanation for this. It's a common question people ask.
    What I meant is one should hide his intelligence and use it under the shadows to get what he want. Never show your intelligence. Only use it. He showed it. It's like you have a really expensive laptop.
    Would you show it to everyone? No
    Would you use it? Yes

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Here's some discussion on it.
    Thought Experiments : The Blog: Are Mensa Members Thick?

I don't see many people disagreeing either, they are mostly just giving explanations on why it's true.
    That was snark, not science. Mr. Appleyard conflated EQ with IQ and humorously claimed that his personal prejudice was self-evident. The trend of commenters agreeing with him is just selection bias.

There have been many discussions of the classic question, "If you're so smart, why aren't you rich/powerful/happy?" That one might've been amusing, but it wasn't particularly illuminating, due to the lack of intellectual rigor.
    INFP ~ Fi/Ne/Ni/Te ~ 9-2-4 sp/so

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by SciVo View Post
    That was snark, not science. Mr. Appleyard conflated EQ with IQ and humorously claimed that his personal prejudice was self-evident. The trend of commenters agreeing with him is just selection bias.

There have been many discussions of the classic question, "If you're so smart, why aren't you rich/powerful/happy?" That one might've been amusing, but it wasn't particularly illuminating, due to the lack of intellectual rigor.
    It's a pretty big assumption to think that one with intelligence would desire power and wealth. After all, isn't that what most common folk desire? What makes them think someone so different from them would want the same things?

The simplest way to get to the bottom of this is to see a chart showing all the mensa member's IQ levels and yearly income ranges. But we don't have access to that do we? So it's just a bunch of speculation, but it is interesting to watch these particular individuals who's IQ ranges are in the VERY VERY TOP.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo

Easy answer, IQ doesn't mean all that much in the real world, it is one tool we can use to achieve success but there are many other tools we can use as well.

The value we place on high IQ is mostly subjective.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

Quinlan's Creations

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    Easy answer, IQ doesn't mean all that much in the real world, it is one tool we can use to achieve success but there are many other tools we can use as well.

The value we place on high IQ is mostly subjective.
    Good answer, but to what question?

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Maybe they just do not have common sense... This is typical of "intelligent" people (or so I have noticed). Yea, they are "smart" and have high IQs, but a lot of them can come off slow, socially inept, lacking common sense, etc. To me, they are those type of people that if you dropped them off in the middle of nowhere, they would probably die of starvation, etc. High IQ doesn't necessarily mean the person is "intelligent" in my opinion. I think it's a mixture of everything... a nice balance.

Honestly, a lot of intelligent folk that I've met come off as a bunch of idiots.

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by paperoceans View Post
    Maybe they just do not have common sense... This is typical of "intelligent" people (or so I have noticed). Yea, they are "smart" and have high IQs, but a lot of them can come off slow, socially inept, lacking common sense, etc. To me, they are those type of people that if you dropped them off in the middle of nowhere, they would probably die of starvation, etc. High IQ doesn't necessarily mean the person is "intelligent" in my opinion. I think it's a mixture of everything... a nice balance.

Honestly, a lot of intelligent folk that I've met come off as a bunch of idiots.
    I don't get it though, how do you recognize their intelligence if they come off as an idiot to you? Wouldn't you just refer to them as an idiot?

Une Femme est une femme paperoceans's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I don't get it though, how do you recognize their intelligence if they come off as an idiot to you? Wouldn't you just refer to them as an idiot?
    Nah, they're smart when it comes to academia, building shit like robots or whatever. But they are lacking in a lot of other departments which I think is just as important (or even more so) than textbook nonsense. I've went to a science high school so I've had my share of these types... for four years. The majority of them are just, what's the word... Crazy? Emotionally unstable, socially inept, etc. Sure it's great that you are smart, but what else do you have going for you?

I'm a horrible example, but my IQ is 136 (which isn't all that high, maybe above average) but everyone thinks I'm a pothead who has a short attention span. And I guess that I do come off as a complete jackass the majority of them... Wait, I went off topic. I forgot what I was trying to say what do I have to do with this? LMFAO nevermind

MBTI
    SEXY

Intelligence does not equal income.

I'm at the very least fairly intelligent... Knowing this fact does not give me any happy thoughts or emotions. Neither does the thought that I could make a lot of money if I finished a difficult study and used my intelligence.

Being able to think about things in general rather then specifics. Knowing that people genuine appreciate me for my entire being instead of my brain capacity. Having no pressure put onto me to achieve anything somebody other then me desires. Those things generally give me more peace of mind then any praise or money could ever do.