User Tag List

First 91011

MBTI
    ESFP
    Socionics
    ESFP

Quote Originally Posted by ed111 View Post
    Yes, sorry, it's just that the results weren't the point of the post (i.e. that this guy appears to be extremely intelligent and has ended up in a blue collar job either because of a lack of social skills or as a lifestyle choice).

Anyhow, he predicted that what has just happened would happen (i.e. the credit crunch). The good thing about working in education, is that during the summer it is possible to have extended conversations with people. We also chatted about chess personalities (Capablanca, Fisher, Karpov, Kasparov came up), artificial intelligence and inevitably religion.
    hmm well the last time such a financial crisis was engineered was the great depression, and the way out of that was world war 2.... Did your friend realize this? Damn this seems like history repeating itself.

From the "Emergency Banking Relief Act" to the unconstitutional NRA during the great depression....

"In May 1935 the Supreme Court unanimously declared the NIRA and its implementing agency, the NRA, unconstitutional. Roosevelt's experiment with "corporatism"--which crusty Democrats like Senator Carter Glass denounced as "the utterly dangerous effort of the federal government at Washington to transplant Hitlerism to every corner of this nation" was over. It was not success." ....OR WAS IT?

Isn't this what is going on currently? Bank bailouts and government monopoly in corporate companies like the automobile industry? What is next? I just can't help but to assume they want a war.
    This is a vicious cycle. and I hope you know who I mean by THEY. I think Iraq and the war on "terrorism" is just a taste of what is to come, some say it is merely the strategic positioning around china.
    Last edited by INTJ123; 09-10-2009 at 02:14 AM.

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    That MENSA statistic (if true) most likely has fairly simple explination. Successful people with high IQ scores probably have better things to do than pay 50 bucks for a certificate that says "daym, ya sure iz smrt"
    I'll take this explanation for 100.

Actually, I wonder if any other information was taken. What I remember most about mensa, is how old everyone was.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Aside from this quote being spot on, there's another important point. IQ doesn't measure intelligence, smarts, cleverness or whatever other adjectives you can think of. Those adjectives do not represent scalar quantities, and are not measured so easily.

What it likely does measure, aside from how good one is at IQ tests, is processing power in a certain abstract area of thought. Not how good you are at that area of abstract thought, but how fast you are.

Intelligence is much more complex than that, and by most definitions, only lightly correlated to (non-internet) IQ scores.
    Exactly...

I am not sure if this post directly answers the OP, but these are all very important points, since it almost seems like "intelligence" and "IQ" are being used interchangeably :horor:

Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I think I just saw Ayn Rand's corpse twitch.

I'd like to add a couple of annotations to those rules, just to flesh out my perception of them (they do seem pretty menacing as presented)

Don't think that you are special. - You're just another iteration of the 6.7 billion human beings on the planet. Remember that from time to time, and take some humility in that fact. It's not who you are that is special, it's what you do with the opportunity you have in life.
    [B]
    :yim_rolling_on_the_

I'm not even a "true" Ayn Rand follower, and this is making me too twitchy and nauseated for me to read. The.... collectivism.... it... burnnnnnnsssss......

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by LunaLuminosity View Post
    :yim_rolling_on_the_

I'm not even a "true" Ayn Rand follower, and this is making me too twitchy and nauseated for me to read. The.... collectivism.... it... burnnnnnnsssss......
    And that's what makes you an I and me an E.

I tried the radical individualism thing for a while. It was... depressing

MBTI
    INTj

I still have a hard time understanding why a smart person would waste their life away doing menial jobs for minimum wage when you can make several times that much in a technical job. Jobs like engineering is actually very easy and relaxed for someone who is somewhat intelligent. Alternatively, if you prefer physical work, learn a skilled trade.

I think there has to be more to why high IQ people often end up cleaning toilets than to say it's because they have different values.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Socionics
    ISFP

^^^Poverty and mental, physical abuse, seems like a good reason why an extremely intelligent person would stoop to such a menial job.

You, intuitives, have to look at the bigger picture.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Doing menial jobs allow us to enjoy the pretty thoughts in our heads.
    Ti = 19 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Te = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ne = 16[][][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fi = 15 [][][][][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Si = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Ni = 12 [][][][][][][][][][][][]
    Se = 11[][][][][][][][][][][]
    Fe = 0

-----------------
    Tiger got to hunt, bird got to fly;
    Man got to sit and wonder why, why, why;
    Tiger got to sleep, bird got to land;
    Man got to tell himself he understand

MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Blank View Post
    Doing menial jobs allow us to enjoy the pretty thoughts in our heads.
    I think that's what it really comes down to. Work is just a means to survival in the end, rather than the end-all be-all of existence that many make it out to be.