• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[INTP] intps and crappy name memory

Does your name momery suck?

• very much

Votes: 26 43.3%
  • yes

Votes: 17 28.3%
  • little

Votes: 4 6.7%
  • no

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • im not intp

Votes: 10 16.7%

• Total voters

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Okay, I've always wondered about this.

A person walks up to me in public, says my name, smiles and greets me. I don't have the faintest idea who he/she is, but I know that I probably know him/her from somewhere.

I usually just go. "Dude? (nounlol) Who're you?" or if it's a girl "Do I know you? (nonounlol)".

Or should I play along, pretending to remember them? Like "Heeeeeey, duuuude, long time no see!" or "Heeey, long time no see!".

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
Okay, I've always wondered about this.

A person walks up to me in public, says my name, smiles and greets me. I don't have the faintest idea who he/she is, but I know that I probably know him/her from somewhere.

I usually just go. "Dude? (nounlol) Who're you?" or if it's a girl "Do I know you? (nonounlol)".

Or should I play along, pretending to remember them? Like "Heeeeeey, duuuude, long time no see!" or "Heeey, long time no see!".

Pretend to remember and ask leading questions about them. People love to talk about themselves, it's half the reason they go over and talk to you in the first place. Just get into a conversation until it [hopefully] clicks. Also, can pull the "It's been so long, where were we...*feign intense concentration* It's on the tip of my tongue," until they finish and hope to god it wasn't a party you had to get bombed at to get yourself through it.

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Don't bother remembering the name of the person you're sleeping with. What you need to remember is their phone number, condom and to wash your dong. I always scream 37 when I climax anyway. No need for names. :coffee:
:devil:
So true - besides, numbers are easier to remember anyway, right?

Yes, I have always had problems being approached by people I swear I've never seen before, yet who behave as if we're the best of friends and seem to know a fair amount about me.
Me too. Just today someone greeted me in a friendly manner, also saying my name! I'm still trying to figure out who the hell he was.

But I have been working on my people-memory for a while and it has improved, so now I tend to remember "new" people and their names.
I have noticed visualising the name helps me, i.e. spelling it on the "mental screen" (I am an extremely visual thinker, so I'm kind of using that strength).
Also - just repeating the name helps to memorise it, too. When someone says their name, use it in a few sentences. People like to hear their names, they won't mind, unless you really really over-do it, but I suppose everyone is smart enough not to do it anyway :)

epp

MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
7w8
Oh, I noticed only now the question was for INTP-s. *tiptoes away

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP's, ENTP's. When it comes to remembering names. We're equally shit at it. :D

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx
..numbers are easier to remember anyway, right?

Not for me, took me 7 years to remember my own phone number, and thats the only phone number i remember. All the codes like bank account pin i remember for example triange on the keyboard skipping some numbers or square but skipping one and add the one on the middle.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
phone numbers are easy for me to remember, but granted I work with them a lot on a daily bases. So. Only natural I suppose.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Not for me, took me 7 years to remember my own phone number, and thats the only phone number i remember. All the codes like bank account pin i remember for example triange on the keyboard skipping some numbers or square but skipping one and add the one on the middle.

Haha, I forget numbers like that as well.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I figured out the female noun problem for written form.

"Hey <insert appropiate non-offensive and non-condenscending female noun>, how are you doing?"

Hail my awesomeness.

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
Just use foreign words. "Hey frau, is that your little bambina over there?" Then the PC police won't taze you.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
"Hi dame, did my mobile phone shift or am I just happy to see you?"
"What do you think, meid? Which bathing suit would fit me better?"

Hmm, I'm not convinced yet.

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
If you forget a womans name just call her "Ma'am". Women love to be called that...especially if they are in their 20s or 30s...shows respect.:jew:

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Then again.

"Yes, ma'am." sounds like you didn't really mean what you said, or are unhappy with things.

"Go do the dishes!"
"Yes, ma'am..."

(I'm not off topic, I forgot what the topic was about. Olol. Damn why am I so annoyingly creative today...)

Alwar

The Architect
MBTI Type
INTP
I use "madam" sometimes, but some British/Irish friends have snapped at the idea because they said it's like calling them old women or something. How about "Fair Maiden"? Battle-axe and War Department hasn't gone over well in my experience.

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
:devil:
So true - besides, numbers are easier to remember anyway, right?

Actually, for me, numbers are indeed easier to remember and I'll tell you why. It's all, all in the muscle memory in your fingers. Or if you're able to make up some sort of system for remembering phone numbers, for instance, in my case, there are certain numbers I can only remember in certain languages! If I have to say the number out loud in English, I have to translate the number in my head first. I think that might be why I can remember my own phone number to save my life. I don't call myself very often. Unless I'm trying to locate my phone..

Tewt

MBTI Type
ENTP
I do pretty good with numbers, mainly because I made myself practice out of laziness. I just never entered anyone's phone number into the cell phone address book and pretty much started memorizing everyone's I need to know. When someone asks me for someone's number (expecting I'm going to look in my phone for it) I sound like Rainman rattling them off.

Shimmy

MBTI Type
SEXY
Actually, for me, numbers are indeed easier to remember and I'll tell you why. It's all, all in the muscle memory in your fingers. Or if you're able to make up some sort of system for remembering phone numbers, for instance, in my case, there are certain numbers I can only remember in certain languages! If I have to say the number out loud in English, I have to translate the number in my head first. I think that might be why I can remember my own phone number to save my life. I don't call myself very often. Unless I'm trying to locate my phone..

Heh, I forgot my PIN code once after somebody started talking about PIN codes in general and I started thinking about what mine was. Up until that point the typing just came natural and subconscious.

Ozz

MBTI Type
ISTJ
I also have crappy name memory. If only I could have a system that recognize faces of people by comparing to Facebook profiles and overlaying the name on the person via an augmented reality glasses.