User Tag List

View Poll Results: Does your name momery suck?

Voters
62. You may not vote on this poll
  • very much

27 43.55%
  • yes

17 27.42%
  • little

4 6.45%
  • no

3 4.84%
  • im not intp

11 17.74%
First 56789 Last

I've got a really crap name memory. As some other's said, numbers are way easier to remember. If I redo a test, I'm likely to remember the answers when I see the questions. If I meet someone again, I often have zero clues what their name starts with even. I remember 10 digit phone numbers straight off also, so my memory isn't bad in general.
    Freude, schöner Götterfunken Tochter aus Elysium, Wir betreten feuertrunken, Himmlische, dein Heiligtum! Deine Zauber binden wieder Was die Mode streng geteilt; Alle Menschen werden Brüder, Wo dein sanfter Flügel weilt.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Heh, I forgot my PIN code once after somebody started talking about PIN codes in general and I started thinking what mine was. Up until that point the typing just came natural and subconscious.
    I hear ya. One thing I notice about myself is, whenever I try to recall a phone number or my PIN, I do the pattern in the air with my fingers. That makes it a lot easier to remember.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    I care about people as much as I care about anything.
    I was teasing.

Type has nothing to do with how much you care.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    I was teasing.

I don't care about what you're saying. F-types, especially ENFPs care too much about everything! Care to respond?

WTF is this dude saying? A Schnitzel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Socionics
    B.S.

Name memory is difficult because there is no obvious connection of names to people. Name selection is rather arbitrary and there is no real reason for why people are named what they are. Two Sarah's or Haley's could have nothing in common but their names. And yet people put quite a bit of stock in their names and can get offended if you don't remember theirs.

INTPs can find it more difficult than other types, because we tend to commit odd esoteric things to memory and often memorize very little while rely on figuring other things out on the fly using logical connections. With names we can't do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    sheesh humans! for realz

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Salt n' pepper View Post
    I don't care about what you're saying. F-types, especially ENFPs care too much about everything! Care to respond?
    But...I...uh.... OK, you're probably riiiiiight.

I can't put up an argument to this.

Only that Ts CARE TOO LITTLE!!
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTP

I was teasing.
    It's too late, the damage has been done.

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by epp View Post

So true - besides, numbers are easier to remember anyway, right?

Me too. Just today someone greeted me in a friendly manner, also saying my name! I'm still trying to figure out who the hell he was.

But I have been working on my people-memory for a while and it has improved, so now I tend to remember "new" people and their names.
    I have noticed visualising the name helps me, i.e. spelling it on the "mental screen" (I am an extremely visual thinker, so I'm kind of using that strength).
    Also - just repeating the name helps to memorise it, too. When someone says their name, use it in a few sentences. People like to hear their names, they won't mind, unless you really really over-do it, but I suppose everyone is smart enough not to do it anyway
    Yeah, I do that as well. What also works is making a small mental recap of the name a few minutes after you met the person, and again a few minutes later.

I was teasing.

Actually I was implying that I didn't generally care about things, but forums are hard to get nuances in language across.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Quote Originally Posted by spamtar View Post
    If you forget a womans name just call her "Ma'am". Women love to be called that...especially if they are in their 20s or 30s...shows respect.
    Nowheres true at all, I've known a great number of women who believe being called "Ma'am" indicates being old, and they take it as a direct insult >.>;;

People will take anything out of context as an insult it seems. I stopped caring, if they refuse to accept my attempts to be nice, then that's their problem.

I may also note I call almost everyone "man". "thanks, man", even when I was at work in a call center I did that constantly XD Even to female customers. The odd part is, people didn't really mind at all, they found it endearing for some odd reason. Yeu have noooooooo clue how many times I was told I was highly professional... yet I highly disagree because I don't act it in the slightest >.>;

But if it makes people happy then sure. Whotever works. I think alot of it's dependant upon tone and how it's stated. Inflection in the voice goes a long way, far moreso than the terms themselves. Unless that individual WANTS to start a fight, then yeu really can't stop it no matter whot yeu do.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Nowheres true at all, I've known a great number of women who believe being called "Ma'am" indicates being old, and they take it as a direct insult >.>;;.
    You got me Katsuni; Ma'am suggestion was a bit of tongue in cheek inside joke with myself/disinformation. I remember talking to a woman in line at a store. The checkout woman said "that will be $28.34 Ma'am". The woman said "Ma'am! MA'AM! THAT MAKES ME SOUND OLD!" the checkout woman responded "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean that, I would say you are no older than 28 years old." Whereby the lady responded in dread "28! I am 23!" I couldn't help laughing to myself as the woman in fact did look like she was in her early 30s.

I think Katsuni also hit the nail on the head about tone. Tonality makes the world of difference. For example think about saying the worst things possible to a friendly dog, but doing it in a friendly and caring tone. The dog will appreciate it regardless because of the tone. Therefore a positive, caring individual tone, preferably with reinforcing eye contact (maybe even w kino) will supplement a pronoun/endearment/general reference. For example "Dude! You are totally a unique individual" (with sincere and direct tone completely absent of sarcasm).

As an NT I have had to learn to add these personal touches to supplement my name forgetting and my apparent perception by others as being aloof.
    Last edited by Vizconde; 09-05-2009 at 09:09 AM. Reason: forgot to spellcheck