• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[ENTP] Good Qualities of ENTPs

ygolo

My termites win
For some reason, I thought this thread already existed. I didn't find anything similar using the website search function nor google.

None are quintessential Prometheans, but ENTP is closest. The desire to understand the skill and master it is mostly selfish, but it sometimes entails Progress in the Humanistic sense, even if unintended.

Bloody hell, talk about being much maligned! :cry:

I liked the way Jennifer put it better :yes:

Let's give the much maligned ENTPs some solace.

1. Generally Fun to hang out with
  2. Most intellectually under-rated NT type
  3. Most likely to help you understand something you didn't understand before
  4. One of the few truly open minded types
  5. skilled in many different areas
  6. Does and says all the things I wish I had the guts to do or say

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Irrepressible. And one of the few types that can always handle ENTJ's when they're on the war-path and get them to chill out while everyone else is hiding in the filing cabinet! :D

And yes, the thought's crossed my mind to start something like this, but being biased as I am, I didn't think anyone'd go for it. So thanks!

Oh, and along with ENFP's, we're the ones that hold together those dreadful committees where you have a lot of very rigid people, none of whom want to give an inch, and somehow find ways to persuade everyone to agree, whilst simultaneously moving forward.

...though I have a feeling there may be quite a bit of tumbleweed gathering around this thread, considering that if ENTJ is the evil dictator, then we're Rasputin...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
They're also a deeply drilled gold mine of superfluous trivia (superfluous, that is, to anyone but me and people like me who like to waste 90% of their brains). :)

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Most intellectually under-rated NT type

This is true. I have a PhD motherfuckers. From Cambridge dammit. And yet I get condescended to and treated like some kind of bimbo with no attention span, by people whose greatest achievement is reaching 'that level' on WoW!

(or whatever, I never played it... better things to do ;) )

And I have to listen to people going on about the 'shallow' range of ENTP knowledge and how we don't really know anything in depth, and how we're not deep thinkers and blah blah blah....zzzzz

Maverick

MBTI Type
ENTJ
I have a PhD motherfuckers. From Cambridge dammit.

Excellent! In what may I ask?

I find ENTP's:

- Funny
- Friendly
- Treating knowledge as fun/interesting, which spreads enthusiasm to others, and not being full of their "expertise". Other NT's tend to be real snobs when they know something, whereas ENTP's make it accessible to anyone who is interested
- Lots of great ideas
- Very good at quickly understanding a situation
- Optimistic and expects the best in others
- Most creative
- Own spirit and not conditionned by social norms... Like INTP's except they're enthusiastic and happy about it instead of cynical:D

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
Most intellectually under-rated NT type

yes, i saw that too when i first started reading up on type. but we act like SPs in some ways, and people have archetypical expectations of how intelligent/intellectual people behave. so what can you expect? even fellow ENTPs fall prey to this conception that intellectuals act a certain way.

all i can say is, foucault was most likely an entp and he'll stay in the academic curriculum of several disciplines for at least 25 years to come.

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
Excellent! In what may I ask?

Doctor of Letters (honorary) from King's College. Got it for a li'l something I wrote about medieval art and culture a few years back...

- Treating knowledge as fun/interesting, which spreads enthusiasm to others, and not being full of their "expertise". Other NT's tend to be real snobs when they know something, whereas ENTP's make it accessible to anyone who is interested

Which is related to:

yes, i saw that too when i first started reading up on type. but we act like SPs in some ways, and people have archetypical expectations of how intelligent/intellectual people behave.

It's simple: we understand this shit easily, so it doesn't occur to us to think of it as impressive that we do, or to think ourselves better than others because we do. Moreover, we believe that anyone else can too, so we transfer that belief onto them, and thus, since self belief was the only thing stopping them from trying, and trying was the only thing stopping them from understanding, with a bit of imputed enthusiasm, they do it.

O

Oberon

It's simple: we understand this shit easily, so it doesn't occur to us to think of it as impressive that we do, or to think ourselves better than others because we do.

My younger sister once bemoaned the fact that I was "so much smarter than her." I told her the following story:

I had a dream once, in which I was walking around outside in a very thick fog. Everything was gray; you almost couldn't see anything at all. There were other people walking around in the fog, too. I happened to encounter a guy standing by a stepladder.

"Hey," he says, "It's not that deep."

"What?" I asked him.

"The fog...it's only seven feet deep. Climb the ladder, you'll see."

So I get on the stepladder and go up a few steps, and sure enough...my head popped out of the fog and I could see, all around me, a sea of fog stretching all the way to the horizon in every direction.

Being on that ladder was like being smarter than the people wandering in the fog.

"Do you know what being smart enabled me to see?" I asked my sister.

"What?" she said.

"More fog than anyone else," I told her.

ladypinkington

Rubber Nipple Salesperson
MBTI Type
INFJ
ENTP's are freaking awesome.

They can insult people in such a way that the people actually like them more,lol. I have seen this in action.

They think outside the box and are excellent communicators.

I have seen that ENTP's are chameleons and can "fit in" in any group.

They can effectively talk to an average Joe- a highly intellectual person- an emotional person- etc. They have a gift of being able to communicate to any audience and in such a way that it is enjoyable and understandable and extremely insightful.

They have great insight in figuring out how other people think. I am good at picking up on how other people are feeling- so when paired up with an ENTP it is like together we can more fully figure more whole another person and each other.

When playing video games- ENTP's like to look cool while they play the game- they will waste a lot of time getting to a certain area just because they want to jump- do flips- and crazy acrobatic things on the way,lol.

I have seen that they love challenging tasks but perhaps not challenging people.

They are bold and direct but witty while they do it.

Adventure seekers who change the rules. They seem to love to change how things are done and are extremely innovative.

I really could go on forever but I am going to stop now,lol.
ENTP'S RULE!

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP
My younger sister once bemoaned the fact that I was "so much smarter than her." I told her the following story:...

Heh yeah, I like that. It's daring to step onto the ladder, that's the only difference I think... maybe a lotta people think they'll fall off it, or that it's not worth it, or something... I just figure there's no harm in trying.

I wouldn't ever say I was cleverer than others, but I have often thought that I'm braver. Well, I don't know if it is real courage a lot of the time... recklessness maybe... but sometimes I think it's actually faith. I'm not afraid because I believe everything will be fine. Whether the faith is in God, myself, other people, providence... I don't know. Probably a combination of all of them.

It's so simple... just keep an eye out for what's ahead and be ready to duck before it hits you. I don't get why/how not everyone gets it. It's just a video game... life is like a video game... you get to know a lot of the levels and how they run, and when you've done a lot of levels and a lot of different games you get to be able to do new ones perfect first time.

Blackwater

MBTI Type
ERTP
hey substitude, can we read that medieval thing that made you a doctor? maybe a sample chapter or something? i for one am interested

i am enrolled in a history MA programme and every assingment ends like a tug o war between what i want to do and my superviser wants me to do

ygolo

My termites win
hey substitude, can we read that medieval thing that made you a doctor? maybe a sample chapter or something? i for one am interested

i am enrolled in a history MA programme and every assingment ends like a tug o war between what i want to do and my superviser wants me to do

:thumbup: :popc1:

Though I don't know you, I like to see the creative works of people I meet. Only one of my friends has finished his Ph.D. and I read his dissertation w/o him asking (or knowing that I did so, come to think of it)

xNFJiminy

MBTI Type
xNFJ
A good quality of ENTPs is that they have no bad qualities I can discern and I'm surprised this thread has been deemed necessary. :shock: Doesn't everyone love ENTPs? :wubbie:

Tayshaun

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Very stimulating, inexhaustible storehouses of questions.

Get very enthusiastic when they realize something could be interesting, which happens to them often.

Are going to act even when they know people will interpret it as bossy and arrogant. A very common misinterpretation of ENTPs by the way.

Sometimes make people around them ready to take risks, because of their infectious spirit.

Sometimes remind me of INTPs who would not be afraid to speak out loud when the thinking process is still in a phase the INTP would consider 'too-early-and empty-shaky-and-illegible' to talk about. This allows amazing heuristic moments when ENTPs and other people ready to think meet.

Keoren

MBTI Type
INtP
I find ENTPs quite similar to INTPs, atleast on a personal level. An ENTP reminds me of an INTP whom 'has it on' - an INTP who is willing to give up over-analyzing everything for now and is just going for it or has somewhat finalized his/her masterplan, putting it into action.
That's why, you guys are quite neat.

...treated like some kind of bimbo with no attention span...

I thought that when it comes to ENTPs, that was completely tr

substitute

MBTI Type
ENTP

:thumbup: :popc1:

Though I don't know you, I like to see the creative works of people I meet. Only one of my friends has finished his Ph.D. and I read his dissertation w/o him asking (or knowing that I did so, come to think of it)

:thelook:

Something screwy about this...

As it happens, it's on a CD somewhere, I can't be bothered to fish it out since I haven't looked at it for years. But it basically goes around the premise that, having been pretty much raised on medieval literature, I found it hard when at school I was expected to unquestioningly buy the standard line about how medieval art was the way it was because people didn't know about human bodies, proportion, perspective etc etc and that the Renaissance was when people started to learn about that stuff. I smelled a big fat sewer rat and thought hang on just a minute...

And it happened to be around the same time as I went to Egypt to visit a friend in Cairo, and of course I visited the pyramids and all that stuff. And I was looking at these ancient Egyptian works of art and how they stood there all screwy and with the eyes on the sides of the heads and the feet twisted round and all, right next to contemporary Roman and Greek statues of perfectly anatomical people. And I thought... hey... the Egyptians didn't do it because they didn't know about how to make things look realistic, because they obviously did, being surrounded also by Classical art. They must've chosen to do it that way for a reason; that style must've represented something to them that was important, which was why they clung onto the same style for thousands of years, despite the artistic innovations in the world around them.

So I put it together with what I knew of medieval culture already and medieval art, and figured y'know, the basic Byzantine style that was copied and elaborated on all over Europe for the best part of a thousand years, well, y'know they encountered other styles and stuff and especially the Italians and French, who still had these Classical statues around them and stuff, it's not like they didn't know that it was possible to make realistic pictures and sculptures. Like the Egyptians, they must've done things the way they did for a reason.

So I brainstormed and basically explained what that style of art meant to the medieval people, how it represented their worldview, why they weren't interested in realistic art and all that jazz. And I backed it up and proved it and everything with a lotta painstaking research and evidence.

And now I've derailed the thread and I'm bored anyway, so that's your lot! :D

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
Exciting. Never bored or boring.