• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] NTs being too critical.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
So today was the first day of school. I'm a junior, and I'm taking an AP English Composition course.

The class is NT dominant. To guess, I'd say 75% of the class is NT.

We were having a discussion on books we've read in past years, past teachers we've had, and authors we like/dislike. Except, it wasn't really a discussion. It was more like the NTs criticizing and making fun of almost every single book we brought up, hating on a lot of the teachers we've had, and thinking they are better than half of the famous authors we covered. God, must be such an ego booster, being in that class. Thinking you are ahead of the game, thinking you know it all, when you can't back that up.

Immature NTs piss me off.

And it seems to be a common trend. They are so closed off to anything that they do not find logical, right, true, mathematically correct, or physically possible. They seem to make fun of teachers the most, and they have some of the biggest egos.

But I'm only talking about immature NTs.

I love my NTs here :)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
But we do know it all. :smile:

tinkerbell

MBTI Type
ENTP
hmm NT's young ones can be a bit precosious..

One I know reflected on a story - he was in hospital when he was about 7 and the nurse was testing something so she asked him who discovered America...

He replied... the answer you want is Christomer Columbus, but there are theories that XZ person found x number of years prior to that...

Yes NTs, young NTs can be bad... really bad...

They don't get much better with age but people put up with them better :D

I would have thought English Comp would have a fair few NF's in it too....

Sorry you had a lousey day :(

PS -- why not start a thread on how insane NT's are.... ;) :p

SerengetiBetty

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
this is more a function of being young vs being NT.

In any case, just enjoy the class and good luck on the exam !

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp
So today was the first day of school. I'm a junior, and I'm taking an AP English Composition course.

Now just you wait a minute. 75% of your class is NT? Astounding. and you conclude this how?
/critical

JAVO

MBTI Type
eNTP
...it wasn't really a discussion. It was more like the NTs criticizing and making fun of analyzing objectively almost every single book we brought up, hating on challenging a lot of the teachers we've had, and thinking demonstrating that they are better than half of the famous authors we covered.

Fixed. :whistling:

Sounds like a fun course! ;)

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
INTP's teasing. Oh gosh. If only my classes were anything like that. :swoons:

Lauren Ashley

Revelation
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seriously? Interesting...I can't remember some of the people that were in my AP English Lit class, since it was a while ago, but the main ones I do still speak to are all NF (about five). Which makes sense since most of the time we were reading novels and analyzing poetry. I don't see what a bunch of NTs would be doing in there, unless they were just in it for the challenge.

However, the teacher of the course was an INTJ. The best teacher I've ever had and I still keep in touch with her.

Now just you wait a minute. 75% of your class is NT? Astounding. and you conclude this how?
/critical
Some of them are probably ISTJs. There were quite a few in my class.

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
Haha! I'd love to be in a class like that. I was 1 of about maybe 3 people that I'd have typed as NT in my graduating class. 3 max (it was a small class size, 60 grads total, very small school).

But, in all seriousness, high-school's going to have more immature people than mature. Just the nature of the place.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Are you sure you aren't saying they're NTs because they are critical?

Lethe

Obsession.
MBTI Type
iNtJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
We were having a discussion on books we've read in past years, past teachers we've had, and authors we like/dislike. Except, it wasn't really a discussion. It was more like the NTs criticizing and making fun of almost every single book we brought up, hating on a lot of the teachers we've had, and thinking they are better than half of the famous authors we covered. God, must be such an ego booster, being in that class. Thinking you are ahead of the game, thinking you know it all, when you can't back that up.

And it seems to be a common trend. They are so closed off to anything that they do not find logical, right, true, mathematically correct, or physically possible. They seem to make fun of teachers the most, and they have some of the biggest egos.

Very understandable.

I used to be extremely critical and would shoot down every idea (instead of offering positive feedback alongside the negatives). Most importantly, I wasn't paying attention to how people felt about my style and was focused on improving their overall ideas. I often disregarded the human motivating factors, which I found to be detrimental when cooperating with other individuals.

Live and let learn. :) There will be a time when the NT may consider the emotional impact of their words. For now, I'd say give them a run for their money. ;) Get your debate gear on and prove how narrow-minded they can be. Ask clever questions. Avoid being baited; the more you allow them to push you around, the more they will do so. Stay cool, ignore their pompous attitudes, study their weaknesses and beat them in their own game. Your Ne can offer a major leverage when generating new ideas. Use it to your advantage. :cool:

INA

now! in shell form
MBTI Type
intp

Exactly. I was waiting to hear the diagnostic method because I suspect that may be it.

INTP

MBTI Type
intp
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx

Are you sure you arent asking this because you feel like you are much more and dont want to be defined only by being critical?

Kyrielle

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5

They all just sound like your typical teenagers to me. :)

That attitude is prevalent through young people and continues all the way up to college until they try to go out into the real world and are hit with the humbling understanding that they truly have only just started to scratch the surface of understanding and knowledge. :D

It's a phase. It'll pass. Don't worry. You could probably find ways to actively humble them, but just getting on with the class and being yourself is better. Even if it means you disagree with the brunt of their claims and must constantly provide more positive, counterpoints to their arguments, it is better. Who knows, after a time, they may try considering the possibility that they might be *gasp* wrong! about their assertions.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ

Immature NTs piss me off.

But I'm only talking about immature NTs.

I love my NTs here :)
I've been there. The best thing you can do is not let it get to you. This is an opportunity to shine and broaden your perspective.

I know it can be difficult. Set your emotions aside, calculate, beat them at their own game. They'll come to appreciate your point of view.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Are you sure you arent asking this because you feel like you are much more and dont want to be defined only by being critical?

Nope. Nice try, though. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

poppy

triple nerd score
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
Yeah, you're probably not looking at that high a ratio of NTs. Probably a lot of TJs though. I took AP English and I'd say there were maaaybe a couple of other NTs and quite a lot of overachieving SJs. That was the general atmosphere at my school though anyway.

I mean, don't get me wrong, immature NTs can be obnoxious know-it-alls, but we don't have a monopoly on it :D

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Try not to take it too much to heart. It's just their way of venting. It's tough being surrounded by idiots when you don't suffer fools gladly, especially when the idiots can make your life unpleasant.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Thanks guys for the advice.

Maybe I am assuming too much when I say that 75% of the class is NT, but I wouldn't like to think so. These are all people I've known since like 3rd grade. There are only 13 kids in the class, and I individually know each and everyone really well.I was hesitant to label a lot of them NT, but when I thought about it, it came through.

So don't try to tell me that I'm insane for saying 75% of my class of 13 people can't possibly be NT, when I individually know them. I did NOT type them NT because they were criticizing.

But for those who offered advice, you are completely right. I mean..it is like me to really care about things like this, but it has gotten pretty annoying. I mean..we're juniors in high school, and these kids think they are at the top of the intellectual books. Like they want to argue and criticize because it makes them feel better about themselves, and gives them courage.

edit: and a part of it is discouraging. I feel like a fucking idiot in front of them. but I'd rather be discouraged than overzealous. Maybe.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Nope. Nice try, though. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.

You would honestly think I would type people as NT because they are criticizing? Think again. But thanks for the advice- oh...wait.