User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

What a strange thread.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Jesus Christ you people take this shit too far. Honestly, there have only been a few posters that have actually DONE anything in regards to this topic, others have just provoked him and argued just to argue or nitpick when they KNEW the point he was getting at. "Lols he made a sweeping generalization let's jump on him!" Come on, the context was pretty obvious here, that it was just a T dominated classroom with an NT like atmosphere, there's no need for any of this.
    Oh, care to name them?

Wait - I've little faith you would, but there's been help assuming they're NTs and help bundled with the point that they may not be NTs, but just brats. for example:

Quote Originally Posted by InaF3157 View Post
    Maybe the ideas weren't very good to begin with and it doesn't take an NT specifically to call em out.
    Questions and challenges about your thoughts force you to be more coherent and articulate and - dare I say it - more thoughtful.

Once he had hastily drawn his scapegoat, he wasted energy lambasting this creation, working himself up into a frenzy instead of stepping back to think:
    1. hey, these guys are jerks, no NT ways about it. There's nothing "NT" about trashing a book you're studying without taking more than a cursory look at it, or lacking insight into the human mind :rolli:. And there's nothing NT about slinging racial slurs around. This is BS.
    2. Maybe I should should prepare my thoughts so I can respond well to useful criticism. That way I can get better at this and perhaps make them think
    3. Maybe the teacher needs to get in control of a class of rowdy, cocky teenagers who sideline discussion with useless criticism
    What we have here is a case of misdirected anger
    Seriously, that makes sense given supposed type distribution and, less so, the nature of the critique described, but I'm sure NTs don't have a lock on arrogance or a critical nature.

If the criticism is useless, chime in and say so, deliver it with that oh-so-diplomatic :rolli: NF flair: "that's kind of irrelevant to the interpretation," for example. They're giving it; they can take it, too. If the criticism is out of bounds the teacher needs to assert his/her authority and steer the discussion where it needs to go.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Oh, care to name them?
    I don't feel like getting any offenses against me or getting on the level that the people in this thread are, and I'm sure you know who you are (whoever is reading this). But in regards to you InaF, I really didn't see anything constructive that you posted, you just seemed to have an overall negative intent in this thread.

Did you really not know what he was trying to imply (you as in, the reader)? He probably typed them as NT because there probably are some NTs in there, and there are those STJs that are excellent academically in the classroom that can appear NT.

Like you said before InaF, Nless NTs are funny.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

I don't know the MBTI ratios of the OP's class, but my AP English class was a few NFs/NTs/SJs, and a lot of SPs who shot their mouths off. IME ESxP from a "witty" high schooler can look like smartass NT, but there's little substance when they're motormouthing the whole class on a book they never even read.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Lethe View Post
    You shouldn't, and I would question their assumptions immediately. If they are not willing to consider your arguments, then they are not worth any student's time. Isn't their purpose is to guide their students into understanding the subject? (Of course, some do not sufficiently fulfill this category.)
    The point is that a lot of English teachers are spectacularly bad at considering that the literature they teach might not be held in such high esteem by everyone and fail to give adequate proof as to why it should be, and this makes students unhappy.

What I mean is that their complaints are probably knee-jerk responses to 'great literature' being crammed down their throats without explanation.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

MBTI
    intp

I don't feel like getting any offenses against me or getting on the level that the people in this thread are, and I'm sure you know who you are (whoever is reading this)..
    That or you're just a puddy cat
    I But in regards to you InaF, I really didn't see anything constructive that you posted, you just seemed to have an overall negative intent in this thread..
    negative intent = no coddling or free pass at stupid type-bashing?
    Uh, see my last post above, much of which was accepted ONLY when the poster saying the same thing did not challenge his assumption that the class brats were NTs. How's the kid to learn to make more thoughtful statements and defend his position when he can't even learn to accept that his questionable typing was half-baked?! I see why he has trouble in class.

Did you really not know what he was trying to imply (you as in, the reader)? He probably typed them as NT because there probably are some NTs in there, and there are those STJs that are excellent academically in the classroom that can appear NT.
    Well, captain obvious, I'm going out on a limb here to suggest this was plain to MOST (not all) but the OP.

Like you said before InaF, Nless NTs are funny.
    Indeed they are! are you familiar with the concept of the loaded question?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Lol holy crap there are like 4 things going on at once in here.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

sCueI (primary Inquisition)

^ No shit.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ILE

let's not forget there's the possibility of the herd mentality that can happen in high school. some people want to fit in and if they notice a snarky vibe in their class, they'll want to imitate that vibe. no matter what, i'd take anything supposedly authoritative and definitive anyone that age says with a grain of salt.

half the time people say things to try and look cool and impress their peers, all the more reason for the OP to state his opinions in class

MBTI
    ENFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The point is that a lot of English teachers are spectacularly bad at considering that the literature they teach might not be held in such high esteem by everyone and fail to give adequate proof as to why it should be, and this makes students unhappy.

What I mean is that their complaints are probably knee-jerk responses to 'great literature' being crammed down their throats without explanation.
    Not saying I disagree with you here, but from the teachers perspective, how do you teach someone to appreciate a book like, for instance, Of Mice and Men or The Jungle when their life experience can be summed up in 12 grades? I think the teachers are doing exactly what they should be. Putting books in the hands of their students and saying "this is a masterpiece, read it." The understanding comes later in life.

That being said, I hated when teachers told me a boring book was a masterpiece.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.