First 123412 Last

MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    We were having a discussion on books we've read in past years, past teachers we've had, and authors we like/dislike. Except, it wasn't really a discussion. It was more like the NTs criticizing and making fun of almost every single book we brought up, hating on a lot of the teachers we've had, and thinking they are better than half of the famous authors we covered. God, must be such an ego booster, being in that class. Thinking you are ahead of the game, thinking you know it all, when you can't back that up.

And it seems to be a common trend. They are so closed off to anything that they do not find logical, right, true, mathematically correct, or physically possible. They seem to make fun of teachers the most, and they have some of the biggest egos.
    Very understandable.

I used to be extremely critical and would shoot down every idea (instead of offering positive feedback alongside the negatives). Most importantly, I wasn't paying attention to how people felt about my style and was focused on improving their overall ideas. I often disregarded the human motivating factors, which I found to be detrimental when cooperating with other individuals.

Live and let learn. There will be a time when the NT may consider the emotional impact of their words. For now, I'd say give them a run for their money. Get your debate gear on and prove how narrow-minded they can be. Ask clever questions. Avoid being baited; the more you allow them to push you around, the more they will do so. Stay cool, ignore their pompous attitudes, study their weaknesses and beat them in their own game. Your Ne can offer a major leverage when generating new ideas. Use it to your advantage.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    Are you sure you aren't saying they're NTs because they are critical?
    Exactly. I was waiting to hear the diagnostic method because I suspect that may be it.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

Are you sure you aren't saying they're NTs because they are critical?
    Are you sure you arent asking this because you feel like you are much more and dont want to be defined only by being critical?
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

So today was the first day of school. I'm a junior, and I'm taking an AP English Composition course.

The class is NT dominant. To guess, I'd say 75% of the class is NT.

We were having a discussion on books we've read in past years, past teachers we've had, and authors we like/dislike. Except, it wasn't really a discussion. It was more like the NTs criticizing and making fun of almost every single book we brought up, hating on a lot of the teachers we've had, and thinking they are better than half of the famous authors we covered. God, must be such an ego booster, being in that class. Thinking you are ahead of the game, thinking you know it all, when you can't back that up.

And it seems to be a common trend. They are so closed off to anything that they do not find logical, right, true, mathematically correct, or physically possible. They seem to make fun of teachers the most, and they have some of the biggest egos.
    They all just sound like your typical teenagers to me.

That attitude is prevalent through young people and continues all the way up to college until they try to go out into the real world and are hit with the humbling understanding that they truly have only just started to scratch the surface of understanding and knowledge.

It's a phase. It'll pass. Don't worry. You could probably find ways to actively humble them, but just getting on with the class and being yourself is better. Even if it means you disagree with the brunt of their claims and must constantly provide more positive, counterpoints to their arguments, it is better. Who knows, after a time, they may try considering the possibility that they might be *gasp* wrong! about their assertions.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

MBTI
    ENFJ

So today was the first day of school. I'm a junior, and I'm taking an AP English Composition course.

The class is NT dominant. To guess, I'd say 75% of the class is NT.

Immature NTs piss me off.

But I'm only talking about immature NTs.

I love my NTs here
    I've been there. The best thing you can do is not let it get to you. This is an opportunity to shine and broaden your perspective.

I know it can be difficult. Set your emotions aside, calculate, beat them at their own game. They'll come to appreciate your point of view.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Quote Originally Posted by INTP View Post
    Are you sure you arent asking this because you feel like you are much more and dont want to be defined only by being critical?
    Nope. Nice try, though. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram

Yeah, you're probably not looking at that high a ratio of NTs. Probably a lot of TJs though. I took AP English and I'd say there were maaaybe a couple of other NTs and quite a lot of overachieving SJs. That was the general atmosphere at my school though anyway.

I mean, don't get me wrong, immature NTs can be obnoxious know-it-alls, but we don't have a monopoly on it
    "There's no need to be embarrassed about it, Mr. Spock. It happens to the birds and the bees!"

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Try not to take it too much to heart. It's just their way of venting. It's tough being surrounded by idiots when you don't suffer fools gladly, especially when the idiots can make your life unpleasant.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Thanks guys for the advice.

Maybe I am assuming too much when I say that 75% of the class is NT, but I wouldn't like to think so. These are all people I've known since like 3rd grade. There are only 13 kids in the class, and I individually know each and everyone really well.I was hesitant to label a lot of them NT, but when I thought about it, it came through.

So don't try to tell me that I'm insane for saying 75% of my class of 13 people can't possibly be NT, when I individually know them. I did NOT type them NT because they were criticizing.

But for those who offered advice, you are completely right. I mean..it is like me to really care about things like this, but it has gotten pretty annoying. I mean..we're juniors in high school, and these kids think they are at the top of the intellectual books. Like they want to argue and criticize because it makes them feel better about themselves, and gives them courage.

edit: and a part of it is discouraging. I feel like a fucking idiot in front of them. but I'd rather be discouraged than overzealous. Maybe.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Nope. Nice try, though. Do not pass go, do not collect $200.
    You would honestly think I would type people as NT because they are criticizing? Think again. But thanks for the advice- oh...wait.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?