User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

Results 91 to 100 of 132

  1. #91
    Shaman BlackCat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SEE Fi
    Posts
    7,004

    Default

    Well since you posted at the same time I did I'll just make another post since another one will pop up most likely and it won't be a double post.

    Fact: Captain obvious = Captain obvious.

    Uh, see above, much of which was accepted ONLY when the poster saying the same thing did not challenge his assumption that the class brats were NTs. How's the kid to learn to make more thoughtful statements and defend his position when he can't even learn to accept that his questionable typing was half-baked?!
    ENFPs learn in a positive and forgiving atmosphere I'd say. And I think he knew his typing was half baked and was venting.

    Indeed they are! are you familiar with the concept of the loaded question?
    You mean like that one? Lol.

    Yeah to be honest I didn't read this whole thread, I see someone getting attacked for a point that wasn't well thought out in his head (I do this all the time so I can naturally empathize with that), this happens to me a lot, so I felt like I should defend.

    Whatever. Lol. You guys have your fun.
    () 9w8-3w4-7w6 tritype.

    sCueI (primary Inquisition)

  2. #92
    Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    8,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SerengetiBetty View Post
    let's not forget there's the possibility of the herd mentality that can happen in high school. some people want to fit in and if they notice a snarky vibe in their class, they'll want to imitate that vibe. no matter what, i'd take anything supposedly authoritative and definitive anyone that age says with a grain of salt.

    half the time people say things to try and look cool and impress their peers, all the more reason for the OP to state his opinions in class
    I would say that this is what is most likely happening.



  3. #93
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The point is that a lot of English teachers are spectacularly bad at considering that the literature they teach might not be held in such high esteem by everyone and fail to give adequate proof as to why it should be, and this makes students unhappy.

    What I mean is that their complaints are probably knee-jerk responses to 'great literature' being crammed down their throats without explanation.
    Great point. but it also seems to me that many kids have an unwarranted high opinion of their own "literary criticism" and dismissive attitude about things that don't immediately relate to them. It takes a skilled teacher to be able to cultivate the kind of insight to appreciate stuff that can otherwise seem dry.

    Well, and some masterpieces are just overrated, IMHO.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  4. #94
    now! in shell form INA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    intp
    Posts
    3,198

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Well since you posted at the same time I did I'll just make another post since another one will pop up most likely and it won't be a double post.

    Fact: Captain obvious = Captain obvious.



    ENFPs learn in a positive and forgiving atmosphere I'd say. And I think he knew his typing was half baked and was venting.



    You mean like that one? Lol.

    Yeah to be honest I didn't read this whole thread, I see someone getting attacked for a point that wasn't well thought out in his head (I do this all the time so I can naturally empathize with that), this happens to me a lot, so I felt like I should defend.

    Whatever. Lol. You guys have your fun.
    D'awww aren't you sweet.
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

  5. #95
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Not saying I disagree with you here, but from the teachers perspective, how do you teach someone to appreciate a book like, for instance, Of Mice and Men or The Jungle when their life experience can be summed up in 12 grades? I think the teachers are doing exactly what they should be. Putting books in the hands of their students and saying "this is a masterpiece, read it." The understanding comes later in life.

    That being said, I hated when teachers told me a boring book was a masterpiece.
    Isn't that kind of like setting a kid on a bike before they even get a trikie, though?

    I mean even when we were reading an essay and I criticized the essayists use of "am/was", her explanation was that it was a casual essay. So? I still think it looks bad, even when I don't have the support that it's 'not professional.' She didn't take it. It was a difference in style, and the fact that it was used once at the beginning of the essay and never again makes it look off-balance to me.

    In creative writing classes we've discussed that saying 'you just don't get it' after someone doesn't understand a work is a copout. Why does 'great literature' get a free pass? If we really are too ignorant to understand, why bother?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  6. #96
    Guerilla Urbanist Brendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    911

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Isn't that kind of like setting a kid on a bike before they even get a trikie, though?

    I mean even when we were reading an essay and I criticized the essayists use of "am/was", her explanation was that it was a casual essay. So? I still think it looks bad, even when I don't have the support that it's 'not professional.' She didn't take it. It was a difference in style, and the fact that it was used once at the beginning of the essay and never again makes it look off-balance to me.

    In creative writing classes we've discussed that saying 'you just don't get it' after someone doesn't understand a work is a copout. Why does 'great literature' get a free pass? If we really are too ignorant to understand, why bother?
    I would question someone giving The Grapes of Wrath to a 6th grader. But these are 15-18 year olds. There on the cusp of their own great awakening. Maybe it would be better to study these in a collegiate setting, Idk I'm not an education expert, but we give it to them because even if they don't get it immediately, they're still ready for it.


    Btw, was your teacher's issue that it was a casual essay, therefore taking apart the grammar wasn't what she was looking for?

    I'm reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Twain's use of first person on top of writing in a southern accent causes me to sometimes ask, "Wait... What?" and reread a sentence a couple of times, and it annoys me, but I'm not reading a book on grammar or creative writing, I'm reading a piece of creative writing in its own right.
    There is no such thing as separation from God.

  7. #97
    Obsession. Lethe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    MBTI
    iNtJ
    Enneagram
    152 so/sx
    Socionics
    INTp Ni
    Posts
    801

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    The point is that a lot of English teachers are spectacularly bad at considering that the literature they teach might not be held in such high esteem by everyone and fail to give adequate proof as to why it should be, and this makes students unhappy.

    What I mean is that their complaints are probably knee-jerk responses to 'great literature' being crammed down their throats without explanation.
    This has not been my experience, though it does not deny yours or anyone else's. Perhaps it accurately describes their reactions -- regardless, our interpretation is at the mercy of the OP's views. I'd recommend them seeking out a teacher who invites such challenges.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    Not saying I disagree with you here, but from the teachers perspective, how do you teach someone to appreciate a book like, for instance, Of Mice and Men or The Jungle when their life experience can be summed up in 12 grades? I think the teachers are doing exactly what they should be. Putting books in the hands of their students and saying "this is a masterpiece, read it." The understanding comes later in life.

    That being said, I hated when teachers told me a boring book was a masterpiece.
    The teachers should acknowledge that it will be impossible to get every student, stemming from diverse backgrounds and personalities, to appreciate a specific work of literature as a masterpiece. They can at least highlight the reasons as to why many would regard the novel as one. The rest is up to each student to determine for themselves.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

    Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne


    Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

  8. #98
    Blah Orangey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE
    Posts
    6,364

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Haphazard View Post
    Isn't that kind of like setting a kid on a bike before they even get a trikie, though?

    I mean even when we were reading an essay and I criticized the essayists use of "am/was", her explanation was that it was a casual essay. So? I still think it looks bad, even when I don't have the support that it's 'not professional.' She didn't take it. It was a difference in style, and the fact that it was used once at the beginning of the essay and never again makes it look off-balance to me.

    In creative writing classes we've discussed that saying 'you just don't get it' after someone doesn't understand a work is a copout. Why does 'great literature' get a free pass? If we really are too ignorant to understand, why bother?
    I don't understand what you're asking for. Do you want high school's to take into account the student's collective preferences (and their obviously very well cultivated literary tastes) when making curriculum decisions like what books to teach? Because I can see how that would be pretty disastrous. Or are you saying that teachers should have a more open attitude towards criticism aimed at the "great books?"

    If it's the latter, I agree. During discussions, teachers should always be open to fielding such criticisms in a fair manner, and not simply relying on the "you're too stupid to understand" defense. That whole idea of levels of hermeneutic sophistication (with the teacher assumed to be at a higher level than you) pisses me off. If we're going to read a book, we should be able to discuss it like equals.

    But that's a function of the teacher's attitude, not the books themselves. I wouldn't argue that some books shouldn't be taught, or that I shouldn't have had to read a book simply because I didn't like it or thought it was stupid. The only time I would think a book shouldn't be taught is when it's reading level is below what students are capable of handling, and when it could be replaced with literature that would be more useful in preparation for college (the "canon" stuff).
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

  9. #99
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan View Post
    I would question someone giving The Grapes of Wrath to a 6th grader. But these are 15-18 year olds. There on the cusp of their own great awakening. Maybe it would be better to study these in a collegiate setting, Idk I'm not an education expert, but we give it to them because even if they don't get it immediately, they're still ready for it.


    Btw, was your teacher's issue that it was a casual essay, therefore taking apart the grammar wasn't what she was looking for?

    I'm reading The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn and Twain's use of first person on top of writing in a southern accent causes me to sometimes ask, "Wait... What?" and reread a sentence a couple of times, and it annoys me, but I'm not reading a book on grammar or creative writing, I'm reading a piece of creative writing in its own right.
    What I meant about the "am/was" was that it takes the essay a step down from 'causal' and more come out 'something I jotted down on the back of a cocktail napkin'. It was especially strange because this was never used again and the "/" stuck out on the page like a sore thumb.

    At least the Missouri dialect in The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn was consistent. You got it after a while -- a bit like A Clockwork Orange, only that one takes even longer.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

  10. #100
    Don't Judge Me! Haphazard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Posts
    6,707

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Orangey View Post
    I don't understand what you're asking for. Do you want high school's to take into account the student's collective preferences (and their obviously very well cultivated literary tastes) when making curriculum decisions like what books to teach? Because I can see how that would be pretty disastrous. Or are you saying that teachers should have a more open attitude towards criticism aimed at the "great books?"

    If it's the latter, I agree. During discussions, teachers should always be open to fielding such criticisms in a fair manner, and not simply relying on the "you're too stupid to understand" defense. That whole idea of levels of hermeneutic sophistication (with the teacher assumed to be at a higher level than you) pisses me off. If we're going to read a book, we should be able to discuss it like equals.

    But that's a function of the teacher's attitude, not the books themselves. I wouldn't argue that some books shouldn't be taught, or that I shouldn't have had to read a book simply because I didn't like it or thought it was stupid. The only time I would think a book shouldn't be taught is when it's reading level is below what students are capable of handling, and when it could be replaced with literature that would be more useful in preparation for college (the "canon" stuff).
    I'm thinking that the teachers should be more open to criticisms of the literature they teach they teach, that students should have the right to disagree, and that teachers should realize that when they present 'great literature' like this they can't be surprised when there's a knee-jerk response like what the students here have.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Similar Threads

  1. [E8] 8's and w8s- Being too blunt?
    By BlackCat in forum Enneatypes
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 03-13-2011, 05:12 PM
  2. [NT] Anosognosia - Being too stupid to realize you're stupid.
    By Blank in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: 07-09-2010, 12:20 AM
  3. [NT] How can an NT be stupid?
    By goodgrief in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 58
    Last Post: 05-20-2010, 03:59 AM
  4. [ENTP] ENTP: trying not to be too clever for oneself
    By Drezoryx in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-11-2010, 07:53 AM
  5. [NT] Present your ideas to be constructively criticized
    By murkrow in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-10-2009, 11:28 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO